PDA

View Full Version : auto box

paulbonner84
28-11-2015, 07:53 PM
guy in need of a bit of advice .earlyer on this year i fitted a new gearbox (auto) and ever since its alway been a bit jurky/takes ages to change when its cold ,once its up to temp it runs very smooth ,well apart from it seems to change a bit later in the revs than the old box did .could this be due to the oil ? (used some of the oil out of old box as it had only done 600 miles )and filterd it as didnt have quite enough to fill box

Louis
28-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Not all atf is compatible, do you know what the old oil was?.
Best thing would be a full drain and refill with Amsoil atf.
The fully synth will take more abuse and run hotter ( a bit like fitting an atf cooler), lasts longer.
In an ideal world you don't want to reuse old stuff as it could have particles of old clutch packs etc even though it is filtered.

paulbonner84
28-11-2015, 08:34 PM
Not all atf is compatible, do you know what the old oil was?.
Best thing would be a full drain and refill with Amsoil atf.
The fully synth will take more abuse and run hotter ( a bit like fitting an atf cooler), lasts longer.
In an ideal world you don't want to reuse old stuff as it could have particles of old clutch packs etc even though it is filtered.

it was amsoil ,when i changed the old oil in the first box it was what i had left over so it was excatly the same oil .

menno3x8g
28-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Did you drain everything out?
If you drain the gearbox only, there is still a lot of oil left in the system.

Else check oil level when hot.

paulbonner84
29-11-2015, 07:34 AM
yes draind it all out . in total i put about 11.5 ltrs back in. but thinking back what came out was quit thick ,so might just change it again ,just didnt want to spending all that money on oil again and it not solve the issue ,hence why i have been asking about it

Nick Mann
29-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Have you got the serial numbers from both boxes? They start something like W5A51. You can find it near the selector arm, near the external filter (or where the external filter would be if you have one).

Nick Mann
29-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Also, while the flush procedure requires 12 or more litres, the capacity of the system is only about 9 litres. So if you drained the box and torque converter whilst they were out then you should have only put about 9 litres in on reassembly.

paulbonner84
29-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Also, while the flush procedure requires 12 or more litres, the capacity of the system is only about 9 litres. So if you drained the box and torque converter whilst they were out then you should have only put about 9 litres in on reassembly.
Sorry nick you are Wright I was thinking of when I changed the oil in the old box .I had 7 ltrs left from that and that's why I added the other bit .can't remember that the serial number .but thay were the same numbers I know that .altho the old box didn't have an external filter and this one dose

Davezj
29-11-2015, 12:45 PM
i don't think the auto box model number will have been the same. if one had an external filter and the other did. the auto box with the external filter is an early version. the none external filter is a later design.

i think what nick is illuding to is the ecu may not be fully compatable with the auto box you have fitted unless the ecu was swapped at the same time the auto box was swapped.

paulbonner84
29-11-2015, 01:56 PM
i don't think the auto box model number will have been the same. if one had an external filter and the other did. the auto box with the external filter is an early version. the none external filter is a later design.

i think what nick is illuding to is the ecu may not be fully compatable with the auto box you have fitted unless the ecu was swapped at the same time the auto box was swapped.
dave i thought the same when i went to pick the box up as i was bit worried about the ecu mis matching . but sure enough it reads the same numbers

Davezj
29-11-2015, 02:25 PM
the difference in model number is the last 3 digits, i did a big thread on here about the ecu auto match up, and there are 3 different auto box numbers.

the box numbers are

W5A51-3-E6A no OWC and does have external filter.

W5A51-3-E6B, i believe this model of auto box is available with and without OWC (one Way Clutch), and with and without extrnal filter.

W5A51-3-EBZ lateet model no external filter and alway OWC.

the OWC is stamped into the case of the auto box next to the model number, you might have to clean the dirt off before it is readable.

Here is what i did when i swapped my gear box in breif my car was a 1998 PFL auto with TCL.

1. my original config ECU MR367177 Auto Box W5A51-3-E6B (OWC).

2. Swapped auto box from W5A51-3-E6B (OWC) to W5A51-3-E6A.

3. Lost drive in D.

4. Swapped auto box ECU from MR367177 to MD761988

5. i can get drive in D and everything works perfectly.

so i have effectively swapped form a late model PFL (with TCL) 1998 auto box (OWC) and auto box ecu to and early model PFL (withTCL) 1996/97 auto box (non OWC) and auto box ECU.
If you change the model of gear box you have to change the ECU to the matching ECU that corisponds to that box.

paulbonner84
29-11-2015, 07:58 PM
i hear what you are saying and have looked back into it and found as follows
origanl gearbox code is W5A513E6B with owc and no extrenail filter. not got round to checking ecu yet
new gearbox code is W5A513E6B with owc an a extrenail filter .and the ecu that it ran off was MR470718
i do know that there is posibley 2 ecu that could be in my car witch are MR470718 and MR430874 as thay used both of these when my car was built witch was 10/1999