PDA

View Full Version : Installing Perrin boost solenoid

MarkSanne
01-12-2015, 04:31 PM
It's been a little while since I found time to play with my VR2, ever since my gearbox broke (left diff bearing busted). This week I replaced the knackered gearbox with a brand new one (!). Now that I could drive it for the first time in almost 2 months the mod bug bit me immediately. So first thing I wanted to do is install the Perrin boost solenoid I had waiting in the box for months.

Now... that got me a bit confused. The original OEM solenoid has 2 lines connected to it, the Perrin offers 3 available ports and one more at the bottom.
I couldn't find out exactly what and how it needs to be installed.

Then I looked at the original routing of the OEM solenoid and:
1. hose ends up in the intake elbow (with the red tip)
2. hose ends in the big plastic T-join piece for the air routing

http://www.galant-fans.nl/forum/download/file.php?id=9463&mode=view/vr4-boost-solenoid.jpg

So er... how to hook up this Perrin with it's 3 ports (and what about that port at the bottom of the Perrin? In the manual they show different options to select from:
1. internal wastegate
2. external wastegate

http://www.galant-fans.nl/forum/download/file.php?id=9464&mode=view/perrin-01.JPG

http://www.galant-fans.nl/forum/download/file.php?id=9465&mode=view/perrin-02.jpg

I assume this second one is the one to choose.

Okay, then these 3 ports on the Perrin:
1. NC -> Normally Closed
2. COM> Common (to wastegate)
3. NO -> Normally Open

I assume there is a NC situation for VR4, so I connect:
- the original OEM hose nr1 (with the red tip) to this NC port
- the original OEM hose nr2 (to the big t-join piece)
- close port NO with a supplied blank screw

Can anyone confirm my assumptions? Nick Mann possibly?
And what about this 4th port that is not mentioned but is 'open' as far as I see?

Thanks guys!

Davezj
01-12-2015, 07:33 PM
here is the standard setup for you to compare to.

from the manual

from ASA, auto without tcl

from ASA, auto with tcl

swinks
01-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Quite simple Mark ;)

OK, did some misleading info, so edit...

You have 3-port boost solenoid with option to run external wastegate. In you case you do not use this port. So INTERNAL wastegate option IIRC it's "normally open".
Then you hook solenoid like any other from electronic boost controller:
wastegate > to T-piece where hardlines (metal pipes) from wastegates connect together with outlet for boost solenoid (part 12433AP from ASA diagram). Just trace one wastegate actuator vacuum line and you'll find output.
vent > vent to atmosphere
compressor > pre-throttle body pressure source, in VR4 case taken from one of two outlets on the pastic elbow, that one where stock red tipped vacuum line goes in.
Here few pictures from webs:

Hope it helps.

Nick Mann
01-12-2015, 09:11 PM
On mine I have one pipe from the red tipped pipe (red tipped pipe replaced) one pipe to metal actuator lines and one pipe to large plastic pipe. The stock solenoid bleeds from the actuator feed with a plastic tee and my perrin sits between the inlet elbow and the actuator feed. Both stock and perrin feed the bled air back to the pre turbo pipework. Unfortunately I did it 3 years ago and I can't remember what the port names were!

galantnight
05-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Been reading this before i install mine, as i understand it i use the fast response mode and connect the COM port to the tee piece that joins the metal pipes and then conect the NO port to to one of the two pipes on the large plastic pipe for the boost source or is this wrong ???

Nick Mann
05-08-2017, 10:10 PM
From memory that sounds right. I also connected the nc to the inlet pipework nipple.

galantnight
05-08-2017, 11:17 PM
Thanks Nick :)