PDA

View Full Version : Abs and traction control

kennyt123
02-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Think I've done a post previously about this so sorry if that is the case but if the warning light bulbs for abs and traction control are removed would this stop them from working as in breaking the circuit as both mine do not work they don't come on when I turn ignition on i have jumped on brakes and they just lock up also traction switch when flicked nothing happens if previous owner has disconnected them how is this done as I've checked fuses etc and all seem to be fine where would the abs traction modules be located as I'm wondering if they have simply been unplugged can't understand why anyone would want to disable these as in my eyes they are a big safety feature really want to get this problem sorted with winter looming thanks in advance

Confused
02-12-2015, 01:57 PM
People usually remove the bulbs to mask a fault.

So - put the bulbs in, then do the "flashy dash" procedure to get the fault codes, and post them up here if you don't understand what the codes are telling you.

At a guess, it'll be a wheel speed sensor fault, probably due to a broken tone ring or damaged sensor.

kennyt123
02-12-2015, 04:52 PM
So I need to get bulbs sorted before anything in order for it to give me some idea as I just find it odd that it doesn't work at but will sort that and see what happens thanks

Confused
02-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Yes, get the bulbs in first - it is completely and utterly pointless even THINKING about trying to do anything else until you have bulbs, and can get the fault codes.

kennyt123
02-12-2015, 07:56 PM
just out of curiosity how do you do the flashy dashy pardon my ignorance total novice thanks

Confused
02-12-2015, 09:28 PM
From the thread directly below this one...

list of error code here,

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?68869-Full-list-of-engine-codes-update&highlight=diagnostic+error+complete

reading the codes here,

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?13785-Fault-Codes-Accessing&highlight=access+diag%2A+code%2A

and here,

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?59792-Diagnostic-Checks&highlight=access+diag+code

kennyt123
03-12-2015, 12:24 AM
Thanks will look into when bulbs are sorted

Grid
03-12-2015, 01:58 AM
Agreeing with what was said so far, I'd like to add that I had made a severe ABS fault happen in my old Galant, when I fitted LED lamps for the rear stop lights. The ECU does not like that at all, the LEDs cause it to go nuts and throw seemingly random error codes. Replacing the LEDs with normal bulbs sorted it for me.

Confused
03-12-2015, 09:39 AM
That's a good point, Grid, often the brake light circuit is used by the ABS system to know whether you are depressing the brake pedal (and therefore, whether it should be activating or not).

My dad had issues with the cruise control in his Shogun (it didn't have ABS) when he fitted LED bulbs - it wouldn't engage, and it was because the LED bulb (a "twin filament" stop/tail light) was back-feeding into the brake light circuit when the lights were switched on.