PDA

View Full Version : Ayc pump...

cwgt93
03-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Had an intermittent fault with the ayc where it will work on a rare occasion now and again. Had a 'working' pump fitted in the old ones place and still getting the ayc light. Mechanic says the fault codes are indicating a pump pressure problem. The pump did seem to work after going over a speed bump, whether that was completely coincidental or not I'm not sure! Any thoughts welcome, cheers.

jaspa
03-12-2015, 11:08 AM
I seem to remember someone on here sells a switch (I think it is) that can be used to adjust the pressure that the pump is running at. This might eek out a little more life in your pump but from what I understand it'll just prolong the inevitable of another failed pump.

Edit: Here's the switch in question:
Clicky (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?16773-AYC-Switch-Test&highlight=MPBVr4)

cwgt93
03-12-2015, 01:18 PM
I seem to remember someone on here sells a switch (I think it is) that can be used to adjust the pressure that the pump is running at. This might eek out a little more life in your pump but from what I understand it'll just prolong the inevitable of another failed pump.

Edit: Here's the switch in question:
Clicky (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?16773-AYC-Switch-Test&highlight=MPBVr4)
I've seen this switch before yea, so you think the secondhand pump I've bought is dodgy aswell? PITA!

Nick Mann
03-12-2015, 11:47 PM
The switch is different for cars made after May 2000. If the replacement pump has the wrong switch then it will look like a failed pump to the ecu.

jaspa
04-12-2015, 12:04 AM
I've seen this switch before yea, so you think the secondhand pump I've bought is dodgy aswell? PITA!

No Idea, I'm afraid, This isn't anything I've had personal experience with as yet. Good luck though :)

Stuart

cwgt93
04-12-2015, 04:07 AM
Right ok...as far as I'm aware the pump I bought didn't have a switch fitted. It's baffling me and the mechanic. I feel like it's something simple due to the fact it works intermittently. Is there a pressure sensor or any kind of sensor that isn't located within the pump itself which could be causing problems?

Nick Mann
04-12-2015, 07:17 AM
Can you give us a blow by blow account of what happens with the red ayc light and which code it shows

Pugme
04-12-2015, 12:48 PM
When you fitted the pump, did you do the full bleed out properly with evoscan?

Activating the actuators to clear all air blocks

cwgt93
05-12-2015, 06:49 AM
Can you give us a blow by blow account of what happens with the red ayc light and which code it shows
The normal turn out of events is ayc light is not present until maybe 30 seconds after start up and then say over the course of a 1 hour journey it will randomly work for say 15 minutes of that time...

Nick Mann
05-12-2015, 07:40 AM
The red ayc light coming on after 30 seconds is typical of the pressure switch in the pump not switching. However I have never seen the red ayc light go out again in those conditions until the ignition goes off and on again.
I would check connections and fluids, then start the car and move it 5 meters, then go to the rear of the car and listen to see if I can hear the pump running.

cwgt93
08-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Ok so basically had a massive miscommunication with the mechanic and he's just done some 'tests' on my current fitted pump as he hasn't the amenities to fit the replacement one. Sounds pretty sceptical to me, but whatever. Anyway, I'm back to square one again. To that end, can anyone recommend a person or a place around the Lincolnshire area that would be able to fit my replacement ayc pump for me? Cheers.