PDA

View Full Version : Physician at play !

SGHOM
05-03-2005, 07:17 PM
just a few pics from Mallory park today. :thumbsup:
Cheers Richard for the ride, & a big thanks for letting Lee have a go also !! he now knows what I've been telling him for ages .............. these cars grip the road. he was very impressed. /yes

pity about the aborted afternoon session, I'll let you explain that one to the forum.

pic one & two; Richard in full flight.

pic three; BMW Z3M :rolleyes4 not in the same league as a VR4, & lost it in the wet for a big off !!

SGHOM
05-03-2005, 07:20 PM
pic four; this caterhan spent most of the day sideways !!
pic five; but this one has just been wasted by Richard !! :drummer:

Physician
05-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Nice piccy's Derek. I guess we aren't going to see the one Lee took!

The story that Derek refers to in his post is boring, boring, boring. Some of you may recollect that last weekend at Mallory my power steering belt shredded on the straight at speed.

Yep, you guessed it ......... went again at almost exactly the same spot - only this time it took out the alternator belt with it. Grrrrrrrr!

Anyway, on to a different story. You saw the piccy of the yellow BMW 3.2 Z3 M in Derek's post. What happens when a BMW Z3 M meets a VR4 on a racing track?

Thanks for coming down Derek - great to chat again. Nice meeeting you Lee.

Richard

SGHOM
05-03-2005, 08:22 PM
What happens when a BMW Z3 M meets a VR4 on a racing track?

Video to follow ??? I hope so ! :thumbsup: /yes /yes

Physician
05-03-2005, 08:44 PM
This is what happens ...........

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Movies/bmwz3.mov

bernmc
05-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Not paying much attention to the sultry little voice saying 'slow down' then ... :D

Physician
05-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Not paying much attention to the sultry little voice saying 'slow down' then ... :D

Heh! Derek mentioned that to me also.

Actually, I leave it on deliberately because people often ask what speed I'm doing at particular points on the track and the Snooper gives some idea of this. I set it according to the track - on this video it's set at 80 mph.

Rich

HJM
05-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Looks like you had great fun out there, Richard :thumbsup:

Spirit
05-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Excellent footage Richard :thumbsup:

Looks like a fun track for the VR4........bye bye BMW :evil2:

psbarham
05-03-2005, 11:17 PM
SWEEEEEEEET. i take it you didn't try getting on the power any earlier out of the devils elbow , it pays off and the end of the straight but you need balls like footballs coz of the negative camber , did they time you? just wondered what your best time was

Physician
06-03-2005, 01:37 AM
SWEEEEEEEET. i take it you didn't try getting on the power any earlier out of the devils elbow , it pays off and the end of the straight but you need balls like footballs coz of the negative camber , did they time you? just wondered what your best time was

Interesting questions. After reading your post I opened up the video I took and precisely timed the laps I recorded today. Results below ....... not particularly impressive - but it's a bog standard heavy saloon so can't expect much.

On a couple of occasions I've got the Devils Elbow just right and managed to keep the pedal to the metal but it's the exception as I normally bottle out - being a blind bend. I like to see where I'm going lol!

Mallory 1600cc Formula Ford lap record is 47.78 secs (101.71 mph) by Jamie Spence.

In my video, the lap that I actually passed the BMW Z3 M is denoted with letter 'P'. Prior laps and subsequent laps listed.

a) 1.00.02
b) 0.59.20
c) 1.01.16 P
d) 1.01.03
e) 1.01.00

And looking at video I took last week in very damp (rather than wet), the best time I did was interestingly 1.01.19.

So fairly consistent - but it's also interesting to note that I was faster when I could see him ahead and I was chasing - target!

Rich

Spirit
06-03-2005, 01:42 AM
Very consistant times there Richard, but I totally agree with the "target" situation - just seems to urge one on a little when you have yet another VR4 "victim" in your sights :evil2:

psbarham
06-03-2005, 09:51 AM
good times there especially for a road car , but just to make you try a bit harder next time we used to get our 400 supersport's (400cc 75hp)round in an average of 55s . the superbikes go round in 51s and just to relly get you thinking the outright lap record 38.23sec . i havent got a clue what it was done by ( i think it was a v6 24 :rolleyes4 )

Physician
06-03-2005, 11:56 AM
good times there especially for a road car , but just to make you try a bit harder next time we used to get our 400 supersport's (400cc 75hp)round in an average of 55s . the superbikes go round in 51s and just to relly get you thinking the outright lap record 38.23sec . i havent got a clue what it was done by ( i think it was a v6 24 :rolleyes4 )

Haha! Like the V6 24 bit ........

Well, bikes is bikes and cars is cars! Different animals and also different track configuration as they use the small chicanes. (As I know you're well aware).

The outright lap record was set by Johan Rajamaki in an F1 Footwork FA13 as you correctly say at 38.23 secs (127.12 mph). So, whereas I may ASPIRE to being a Formula 1 driver I suspect that Schumaker can sleep well and not worry too much lol!

Even the BTCC Ford Fiesta lap record is 55.16 secs (88.10 mph) but they are tuned and running slicks though.

Richard