PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Passenger Side

Spirit
23-07-2003, 11:29 PM
After a replacement headlight for the passenger side - mine is okay but has a small leak somewhere and gets condensation in it sometimes so would like to change it before the winter sets in again. I called the breakers on the link here and they wanted £80 +VAT + Postage which seemed a bit expensive for a second hand one :Ponder:

Cheers

Pete

Brind
23-07-2003, 11:41 PM
I noticed yours at Japfest, also seen a couple of others like it when I was looking for my car.

Can't you find out where the water is getting in and seal it? I'm sure it would be possible?
Take it out and have a good look at it, I'm sure it will be obvious why it is happening.

Spirit
23-07-2003, 11:45 PM
Time and being bothered is the issue - but I suppose if it saves me money it is worth a go

Roadrunner
24-07-2003, 09:14 AM
Pete,

"They all do that!" :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( However, I managed to fix mine by removing the headlight unit, removing the bulbs, and drying out the unit with a hairdryer, then leaving it overnight in a warm cupboard INSERT INTO post VALUES (same cupboard my hot water tank is in). After that, sealed all round the unit with some clear silicone sealant INSERT INTO post VALUES (from B&Q); replaced the bulbs, refitted the unit. Problem hasn't recurred. Bit of a pain, but it is the only way to cure it. :)

I still have a similar problem with the nearside fog light cluster which I haven't been able to cure yet, but I suspect I need to do a similar exercise.

Brian

Nick VR4
24-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by H.7

I still have a similar problem with the nearside fog light cluster which I haven't been able to cure yet, but I suspect I need to do a similar exercise.

Brian

Ohhh me too but only a little condensation and only when the weather is cold :confused: :confused:

Spirit
24-07-2003, 09:55 PM
Brian

Thanks mate - I will have to make the effort to do as you have done - worst case it still happens, best case it works and I save myself £80 ! Cheers bud

Pete

Brind
24-07-2003, 09:58 PM
Even worse case, you pay £80 and that does it too. :o

Spirit
24-07-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Brind
Even worse case, you pay £80 and that does it too. :o

Have to get up early to catch you out mate :D - and that would be 4am on Sunday....lol

Brind
24-07-2003, 10:48 PM
:D

Spirit
29-07-2003, 02:26 AM
Problem located - have a gap on one side of the headlight - gonna have to take it out and re-seal it :D

PUDD
29-07-2003, 03:53 AM
i did it on my old cavalier lampINSERT INTO post VALUES (like H7 said to do it)years ago,and it got me through 4 mot's and i believe the guy whos got it now still doesnt get condensation lol.
If by any chance u havent got it done by santa pod,let me know and i'll bring the high modulus clear silicon and a hair dryer to do it for u m8 lol:D

Spirit
29-07-2003, 07:26 AM
Cheers mate !:thumb:

Spirit
02-08-2003, 11:56 PM
Not had time to do it today and got a local show tomorrow so used our electric pump to blow warm air in the indicator bulb hole and out the dip bulb hole - worked a treat !

ANTHONY
07-09-2010, 07:06 PM
mine is doing it now after changing the bulbs. could it be the big rubber seals on the bulbs may try some Vaseline on then