PDA

View Full Version : Which bulb do I need!?

cwgt93
02-01-2016, 08:34 PM
Had a front headlamp bulb go on me the other day and I'm not too sure what I need to replace it. I think it's a xenon bulb and it's wired in rather than a simple twist and fit...any help or links appreciated. Cheers. 7421074211

Louis
02-01-2016, 09:19 PM
It is an hid bulb and connects to a ballast which then connects to the wiring loom.

Does it not say on the white text round the bit you are holding?.
Looks like an H type fitting,
H1 to H11.
Most are usually H7 or H11.
You also get a choice of:
Colour temp, 3000k up to 12000k, 4300k is normal headlight colour, 5000k is an ice white, blue Ish white, from 7000k up is very purple.
And also the ballast for the hid will be either 35w or 55w
Does it fit in the standard headlight?, if yes then the bulb size is just the normal H1 or H4 ( depending on normal or main beam).
The ballast will have 35 or 55 on it.

If in doubt about colour temp just buy two new bulbs only, no ballast. Then they will be the same.
Bulbs cost about £10 a pair.

cwgt93
03-01-2016, 12:03 AM
It is an hid bulb and connects to a ballast which then connects to the wiring loom.

Does it not say on the white text round the bit you are holding?.
Looks like an H type fitting,
H1 to H11.
Most are usually H7 or H11.
You also get a choice of:
Colour temp, 3000k up to 12000k, 4300k is normal headlight colour, 5000k is an ice white, blue Ish white, from 7000k up is very purple.
And also the ballast for the hid will be either 35w or 55w
Does it fit in the standard headlight?, if yes then the bulb size is just the normal H1 or H4 ( depending on normal or main beam).
The ballast will have 35 or 55 on it.

If in doubt about colour temp just buy two new bulbs only, no ballast. Then they will be the same.
Bulbs cost about £10 a pair.
The ballast being the bit immediately attached to the bulb? I'm guessing I need to find a bulb that comes complete with the wiring assembly too? It says QJXO on the black bit below the bulb. I tried Halfords and they couldn't help, I can't seem to find what I need on the internet... Would someone be able to find me a link to an example of what I need? I'm happy to replace both sides as I'm sure it'll be easier...

Louis
03-01-2016, 12:16 AM
The bulb is hard wired to two connectors as shown in your second photo.
The 55w or 35w doesn't really matter both will work with either ballast.
The tricky but is getting the correct fitting. Are they in the standard headlamp?, or has it been changed to a projector style headlight?.
Is it main or low beam that you need?. Let me know and I will send a link to you.

Louis
03-01-2016, 12:39 AM
Standard sizes are: Dipped beams are H7, main beams are H1, fogs are H1

The bulb has two wires like in photo your two, that is the only bit you need.
It might be a good idea to swap bulbs to double check it is the bulb that is the problem and not the ballast.
( the ballast can go and the bulb could be OK!)

This site has all types available:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/231792910734

Or search Ebay for "hid bulb" and your specific requirements.

35 or 55 is not a big deal, but it should be written on the unit the cables lead to.

Davezj
03-01-2016, 01:34 AM
all good advice from louis i could find the correct bulb from the information given.
it is critical to know if it is standard headlight fitting or standard headlight with after market headlight inserts . eg projecter lenses.
or you could have a full cibie headlight convertion, it is not likely as they are quite rare.

headlight bulb is H7
full/high beam is H1
Fog lights is H3 as they have the light wire tag coming off the bulb.
side lights are 501

H4 are double filament type used on most european cars.

in my opinoion you should not be using HID setup with standard headlight as they will be dazzeling the oncoming traffic it will not make you a popular person.
in my opinion you should only be using 35W ballasts with projector lenses in the headlight bulb location, the 55W version can overwhelm the shadow bar mask behind the lens and still dazzel traffic. you can use the 55W ballast in the high beam location H1 type as you will turn them off if traffic is coming in the opposite direction as you normally wood with high beam.

cwgt93
07-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the help so far guys, I'm still not 100% on what I actually need to replace...I've taken a couple more photos...as you can see the bulb I'm after is the one located behind the projector which I believe is the normal beam main light.

Confused
07-01-2016, 12:18 PM
That looks to me like a cheap H7 HID conversion kit.

The standard headlights are NOT designed to run HID bulbs. The way that a standard halogen bulb generates light, and the way that an HID bulb generates light, are completely different, and the reflectors within the headlight will not direct the light from an HID bulb correctly.

This will cause your beam pattern to be incorrect, and for you to be dazzling oncoming drivers because of it.

"But it passed an MOT", you protest! Well, yes, because the beam pattern at the distance it is tested at during MOT (at most 2 foot) is too short a distance for this issue to be highlighted correctly, so the beam pattern and positioning appears to fall within tolerances allowed for by the testing equipment.

You have two options:

Firstly, put a standard halogen bulb back in, and run the headlight as designed.

Secondly, replace the headlight unit with one designed for HID bulbs. This pretty much means something that has a projector, not a reflector. There are people here who will make you a customised headlight unit with projectors, designed for HID bulbs.

Davezj
07-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Well said Garry
That info is spot on.

cwgt93
07-01-2016, 07:40 PM
That looks to me like a cheap H7 HID conversion kit.

The standard headlights are NOT designed to run HID bulbs. The way that a standard halogen bulb generates light, and the way that an HID bulb generates light, are completely different, and the reflectors within the headlight will not direct the light from an HID bulb correctly.

This will cause your beam pattern to be incorrect, and for you to be dazzling oncoming drivers because of it.

"But it passed an MOT", you protest! Well, yes, because the beam pattern at the distance it is tested at during MOT (at most 2 foot) is too short a distance for this issue to be highlighted correctly, so the beam pattern and positioning appears to fall within tolerances allowed for by the testing equipment.

You have two options:

Firstly, put a standard halogen bulb back in, and run the headlight as designed.

Secondly, replace the headlight unit with one designed for HID bulbs. This pretty much means something that has a projector, not a reflector. There are people here who will make you a customised headlight unit with projectors, designed for HID bulbs.
Thanks for that. I'd rather just put a standard bulb back in. How would I go about doing that? Which parts would I need to replace?

Louis
07-01-2016, 07:41 PM
H7 Low (the lamp in your photo is low beam) (high beam does not have the chrome shield )
35watt

the only info missing is the colour temp, but if you buy a pair (£7.99) in ebay link in previous post.

I would go for 4300k as this is white and bright. 5000k is blue er colour and less bright, (for visibility on road ahead).

They are not designed for standard headlamps, but if you are going to use them this is what you need.

In your last photo there is a black and a red wire, that connects the bulb to the ballast, this is where you connect the new bulb.

:)

cwgt93
07-01-2016, 08:55 PM
H7 Low (the lamp in your photo is low beam) (high beam does not have the chrome shield )
35watt

the only info missing is the colour temp, but if you buy a pair (£7.99) in ebay link in previous post.

I would go for 4300k as this is white and bright. 5000k is blue er colour and less bright, (for visibility on road ahead).

They are not designed for standard headlamps, but if you are going to use them this is what you need.

In your last photo there is a black and a red wire, that connects the bulb to the ballast, this is where you connect the new bulb.

Ok thanks very much, I think I'll get a pair and replace them for now and get some original lights put back in in the coming weeks. Better to have dodgey lights than none at all for the time being I think.

Louis
07-01-2016, 10:21 PM
If you want back to standard, just get H7 bulbs and fit them in the headlights.

The ballast (silver metal box) has a red and a black wire coming from it to go to the HID bulb. there will also be another twin wire coming out from the ballast, (usually about 30cm long, and it will have your factory loom connector attached to this 30cm wire. it should be the standard plug, just disconnect the 30cm wire and put your original factory plug (which will have been attached to the 30cm wire), onto the new bulb.
If in doubt, get the halfords guy to fit the standard bulb for you, he will have seen the HID kits before and will plug your original harness straight onto the new bulb for you.

a pair of H7 standards will be between £20 and £60 a pair depending on maker and type.

cwgt93
07-01-2016, 11:41 PM
If you want back to standard, just get H& bulbs and fit them in the headlights.

The ballast (silver metal box) has a red and a black wire coming from it to go to the HID bulb. there will also be another twin wire coming out from the ballast, (usually about 30cm long, and it will have your factory loom connector attached to this 30cm wire. it should be the standard plug, just disconnect the 30cm wire and put your original factory plug (which will have been attached to the 30cm wire), onto the new bulb.
If in doubt, get the halyards guy to fit the standard bulb for you, he will have seen the HID kist before and will plug your original harness straight onto the new bulb for you.

a pair of H7 standards will be between £20 and £60 a pair depending on maker and type.
Perfect... Thanks very much for your help.