PDA

View Full Version : lowering front suspension

caishanvr4
06-03-2005, 12:57 PM
hi M8,s
Does anyone know the standard ride height of the front and rear suspension..
Why is the front so much higher than the rear. Im thinking of lowering the front to the same height as the rear using lowering springs but im not to sure what make to go for. Ive also booked my car in for its first service 60k in chingford so im hoping all goes well.

The Vee
06-03-2005, 01:55 PM
hi M8,s
Does anyone know the standard ride height of the front and rear suspension..
Why is the front so much higher than the rear. Im thinking of lowering the front to the same height as the rear using lowering springs but im not to sure what make to go for. Ive also booked my car in for its first service 60k in chingford so im hoping all goes well.

Unless the rear has dropped for some reason it shouldn't be lower than the front. The massive wheel arches on the front may make it appear this way.
Generally most people feel the car is too high all round and lower all four. - many threads on here about that. Don't know what manufacturers ride height is in standard form - over to you Kieran :thumbsup:

mpau009
07-03-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi, iv just picked up on your thread, i'm in NZ, and recently swapped my suspension for tanabe adjustables, which i picked up for a scoop $350NZD second hand, i have found that while the front looks quite high, it can't come down more than 50-60mm without scrapping alot (which it does), but the backs i set about 20mm lower, which i reckon looks more balanced than standard anyway, i'll try to load a pic of the wagon so you can see. Let me know what you think?

Also we've got laws requiring 100mm minimum clearances from the lowest structutal point, which is the steering component guards just back from the wheels.

Kenneth
07-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Looks like your front is about the same height as mine. I didn't go lower for the same reason as you initially, but then found that the car handled a lot better a bit higher off the ground and with more spring pre-load

Your rears look a bit lower than mine however. Be careful of this as a positive rake (back a bit higher than front) is actually beneficial to handling as it increases the ground effect and sucks you to the ground. You also dont want it to go too low when you have a heavy load, or just a few passengers as that (IMO) looks crap.

Your Tanabes damper adjustable?

Kenneth
07-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Oh, and as a side note....

As soon as you are happy with the height, go get a 4 wheel alignment done! Save your tyres!

If you wish you can also get them to dial on some extra negative camber if you like pushing it around the corners :D

I would also recomend you ask them to check that your setup is even, just to make sure you get the best possible handling out of your ride!

Pescha
07-03-2005, 07:15 AM
[ Specifications ]
Running system 4WD
Mitsubishi GF-EC5A
Type VR-4 type-V VR-4 type-S
SNGF3 SYGF3 SYGF
5m/T 5A/T 5A/T
Size / weight Total length (mm) 4680
Total width (mm) 1740 1760
All high (mm) 1420
Before the wheel base (mm) 2635
Tread Front 1510 1525
Rear 1505 1520
Clearance (mm) 150
Interior length (mm) 1870
Interior width (mm) 1455
Interior high (mm) 1175 (with sun roof 1145)
vehicle weight (kg) 1460 1500 1520
Max Passengers 5

Does this help any?

_simon_
07-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Has anyone got a pre-facelift model thats a similar height to Mpau009's? If so what size tyres do you have. I'm pretty certain mine would be rubbing big time if it where that height.

caishanvr4
07-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Thank you all for the info :thumbsup:

You guys Rock :drummer:

Spirit
07-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Has anyone got a pre-facelift model thats a similar height to Mpau009's? If so what size tyres do you have. I'm pretty certain mine would be rubbing big time if it where that height.

I had a pre-facelift saloon before my current one and it sat on HKS springs - looks a similar height. I was running 225/45/17 tyres and never had an issue with any rubbing - see what you think.

/ahhhhh......memories !

caishanvr4
08-03-2005, 03:28 AM
Oh very nice spirit

what was the ride height, and did you replace just the springs. If so how much and do you still have the contact no. :inquisiti

Gly
08-03-2005, 04:55 AM
Also we've got laws requiring 100mm minimum clearances from the lowest structutal point, which is the steering component guards just back from the wheels.

hehe... ive only got 75mm

http://thegspot.orcon.net.nz/Legnum/carlow.jpg

dickytim
08-03-2005, 06:20 AM
The standard ride hight of a VR4 is 150mm, I believe, if the rear has sagged it may be shagged shocks in the rear, I had that replaced all 4 and it sits 25mm higher tan it was, thankfully, it doesn't scrape as bad now, Don't drop your front lower than your rear or you will encounter the scrapping problem even worse, I myself have no paint left under my front spoiler and have had to raise that up to stop it hitting everything.

caishanvr4
08-03-2005, 01:01 PM
ok guys

so what is the best height set up without front bumper scrape and rear wheels rubbing. i ask this as in the near future im fitting some 18inch rims but i still want to maintain some comfort,but pelt round corners. If the shocks aint shagged should i just get lowering springs :inquisiti

Spirit
08-03-2005, 09:56 PM
did you replace just the springs. If so how much and do you still have the contact no. :inquisiti

I was lucky in that the springs were already on the car when I bought it. Unfortunately, HKS no longer make springs for the VR4, hence my reason for recently fitting a Bilstein B12 kit (shocks & springs) to my new VR4