PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issue when starting.

Trolkar
21-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Hi folks!
I am experience some annoying electrical issues.

When I start the car, the voltage dropped so much, that my radio, UT comp, parking watch and my AT-ECU forgets its settings. (Parking watch is displaying 12:00, My UT comp displays 00:00, and the radio is demanding the security code and the gearbox changes like ****)

Normally it happens only when the car is for a standstill for two or more days. Sometimes even just after 5-6 hours of standstill.

I can start / stop the engine repeatedly, without being able to provoke the situation.

A faulty battery? – Nope… Do not think so. The voltage of the battery is around 12.5-12.6 Volt 30 minutes after a ride. When I measure, the voltage before turning the engine over, it is around 12.3-12.5 Volt.

When I start the engine, it drops shortly to around 12.0. In worst case 11.7.

Never the less, I am now on my third battery. – 1 cheap battery and two Varta.

Still the same.

I have even tried to hardware 2 fully charged batteries with “starting cables” – And therefore starting using 3 batteries at one time. Still experiencing the “short down”.

The car is using lower than 0.05 amp when turned off.

If I disconnect the (-) battery when the engine runs, it keeps running without no problem.

The voltage is around 14.1-14.7 when engine is running. – Pretty solid on 14.4 Volt.
– I therefore do not suspect the battery, but a faulty connection somewhere in the car. The battery poles are as clean as hell.

The cabin light and instruments are "flashing" according to the turnsignal, or apllying the brakes / hi beam on/off.

Where to look?

Bobby~d
21-01-2016, 10:03 PM
Did you check where the ground wire connects to the body of the car? It is possible that it could be corroded and needs a good cleaning for it to make proper contact on the body.

Davezj
21-01-2016, 11:59 PM
yep sound like a grounding issue.
you need to start looking at all the grounding points round the car.
follow the wirer from the battery and see where they go and how they are terminated.

here is question for you,
when did this issue start?
what was the last thing you did to the car before the issue occured?

it is normally something someone has done that causes electical issues.