PDA

View Full Version : de rstricting

zedy1
23-07-2003, 11:48 PM
just installed the apexi rev/speed meter the old one with the red digital display and in mph. according to the manual if u cut the speed signal wire and link it via the apexi it should de ristrict went for a small test drive and seemed to me it doesnt work but due to have another test run tommorow, when i approched 110 the gear changed from fifth to forth is that normal? it was pi****g down so wasnt sure wat was going on INSERT INTO post VALUES (all concertration on the tarmac)

Spirit
23-07-2003, 11:51 PM
No that is not normal - mine has been up to 130mph - on a private road INSERT INTO post VALUES (honest officer) and did not change down at that speed - as you say try it again - is limited to 112mph in Japan

Brind
23-07-2003, 11:54 PM
I don't know anything about the device you've fitted but my car came with a de-limiter fitted by Ralliart so I have no idea what make it is..

When I put my foot to the floor at say 80mph, mine too will drop down to 4th and rev right to the redline and then upto 5th and where ever it ends up in that gear which I haven't tested, but I know it will be something around 150+mph.

So in theroy, if your car didn't do that before I could safely say it has worked.

zedy1
23-07-2003, 11:59 PM
used to do approx 118mph before but will let u know tommorow

Brind
24-07-2003, 12:04 AM
Since you car doesn't drop to 4th Pete, it maybe due to the ECU being different?

Spirit
24-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Surely it would only change down if you pushed down quickly on the gas ? I assume when mine did 130mph it just was a gradual increase - stopped there as ran out of road so not sure if mine will top 150 - Zedy you did not say if you were doing 110 and then kicked down or not ?

Spirit
24-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Oh yeah - not re-tried this since induction kit and exhaust have been changed - maybe time for a re-run

Brind
24-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Mine seems to use the entire rev range in most gears when I put my foot down.
I have only really tried to floor it from about 80mph and it drops then and uses about 2000 revs which is left and then jumps up again, I don't know if it will drop from a speed higher than 80, I doubt it will unless the gearbox wants to part from the engine.

When my ECU was reset after falling into 'safe mode' it is very responsive now!! and I don't think it would drop down at 80mph then... I can't be sure.
Reset your ECU if you haven't already done so and run it on Optimax or similer fuel.

Either way give it a try. :)

zedy1
24-07-2003, 10:07 PM
just got back! went for a little run and guess what the thing works got 127mph according to the apexi digital rev/speed meter couldave been more but it was pi**ing down. what is 0-60 on the vr4? measured mine and its about 7 seconds maybe my vr4 has abit more weight.

haydar
24-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Hi

My VR4 is really strong uptil about 120 mph, which is when it changes from 4th to 5th. It then continues to about 130 quite easily, but after this acceleration slows down considerably. I've had it up to an indicated 145mph, but by this speed acceleration was almost non-existant. This was however before I had any modification done on the car. I think the estate version suffer at higher speeds due to aerodynamics compared to the saloon verison, which I suspect will be faster at the higher speeds.

What are other peoples experiences on this?

Regards

Brind
24-07-2003, 10:23 PM
I've heard various tales about 0-60mph times on this car! to be honest it is probably safe to say the auto saloon new shape will reach 60 in 5.9 seconds and the new shape Legnum 6.4 seconds.
I just got that info from a Top Gear magazine, whether that is correct your guess is as good as mine.

The previous shape auto cars are down on power so that might effect 0-60 times.

Using computer software, it appears possible to reach 60 in 5.4 seconds, again this is most likely for a 276/280 car.

zedy1
24-07-2003, 10:32 PM
mine is a 1997 and according to the apexi it hit 0-60 at 7 secs. it has had no modifications besides alloys. do you think my speedo needs to be calibrated because i now have 225 40 18 tyres

Brind
24-07-2003, 10:47 PM
I'm not really the one to ask about wheel sizes but as far as I know if you fit a larger diameter 'wheel' the 'tyre' has to be lower profile, so if I'm correct the rolling road circumference should be virtually the same as your previous wheels.

7 seconds could quite possibly be correct for the pre ECU change but I'm sure due to faster standing starts and better weather you could see better times.