PDA

View Full Version : brake calipers

jerryd_33
06-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Hi all,
got a set of EVO8 Brembos and calipers ( front ) to fit for my car, but due to the larger size discs they dont fit. I am sure that other people have come accross similar problems and if so, how have you`ll gone arround it?

psbarham
06-03-2005, 07:57 PM
get bigger wheels ???

jerryd_33
06-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Got 17"`s on m8, so wheels not the problem. Problem is that discs will fitonto VR4 hub but calipers will move further away from VR4 hub attach points.
So what I am thinking of doing, is make up an extending bracket of MDF then take it to a machine shop and have a set made up of steel or ally!!!!!!!!!
Has anyone done this kind of Bkrake Mod? And what did it cost?

Nick Mann
06-03-2005, 08:23 PM
How old is your VR4? Pre facelifts have a slightly different hub assembly, I believe. Come to the midlands mini meet or wait until results are posted, as one of the things on the agenda is to compare and contrast pre and post hub assemblies.

Zeke
06-03-2005, 08:32 PM
if i'm understanding correctly, spacers? if not.. er.

psbarham
06-03-2005, 09:08 PM
How old is your VR4? Pre facelifts have a slightly different hub assembly, I believe. Come to the midlands mini meet or wait until results are posted, as one of the things on the agenda is to compare and contrast pre and post hub assemblies.
yes you need some spacers to bring out the calipers , bernard and my self are looking into this and will bring you more details as soon as pos . as for using mdf as a template don't do it get some 10 mm ali plate because it's easy to work and is more accurate than mdf . then the best way is cut the ali into two strips about 2inchs wide and abou6-7 inchs long drill and tap one piece to mount onto the hub carrier then do the same to mount the other onto the caliper put the caliper on with disc in place and line up properly you may find it best to put the wheel nuts on and clamp the disc on in the right place and then get an air line to presurise the caliper (saves putting the brake pipes on and bleeding the system) to centre it on the disc (make sure you have new pads in) then see wher the two pieces sit in relation to each other and either pack out any gap or grind one piece down so they sit flush and true then once 100% happy clamp the two together and disassemble the caliper and disc . then the painful part take the template to a engineering company and get them to make a couple up not fogetting that the other side will be a mirror image . if you don't fancy doing all this then wait a while and i will make some up or at least do all the drawings for them

jerryd_33
07-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Hi all,
My car is a 99 model and I don`t want to put spacers as they will cause the steering geometry to be out of alignment and will also cause an increase in tyre wear. I am saying this from past experience of having them fitted to other cars. Only good thing about spacers is they make your car look a little better and aggressive.
PSBARHAM, I will be going down the route that you have said. But since I don`t have any 10 mm thick ally will have to use same thickness mdf and get quotations from very possible 3 metal workshops that I know of close to me and will then put a posting of costs in here.

psbarham
07-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Hi all,
My car is a 99 model and I don`t want to put spacers as they will cause the steering geometry to be out of alignment and will also cause an increase in tyre wear. I am saying this from past experience of having them fitted to other cars. Only good thing about spacers is they make your car look a little better and aggressive.
PSBARHAM, I will be going down the route that you have said. But since I don`t have any 10 mm thick ally will have to use same thickness mdf and get quotations from very possible 3 metal workshops that I know of close to me and will then put a posting of costs in here.
i don't think zeke meant wheel spacers i think he meant the spacers i described . the only problem with the mdf templates is that unless you are a cabinet maker you won't be able to make them accurate enough . the other option is if you can do without the car for a couple of days you could always take the hub assembly off and take it to the engineers with the caliper and disc to get a more accurate adapter made

Sulli
07-03-2005, 10:59 PM
I was under the impression Evo Brembos and discs (well Evo 4-6) fit straight onto the post 1998 VR4 - are the Evo 8 Brembos and/or discs bigger?

Nick Mann
07-03-2005, 11:11 PM
I think you are correct. But I think we are talking about a pre-facelift car.

Sulli
07-03-2005, 11:23 PM
99 is post facelift isnt it?

Nick Mann
08-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Errr...... Oh yeah! /dunce

So I am now confused.

What is the problem with fitting the caliper to the carrier? Now I have read it all properly, I agree with Sulli. It seems like the evo 8 is different to earlier models.

Roadrunner
08-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Evo VII Brembo calipers fitted perfectly to my late '98 post-facelift car. Just had to ditch the disc backplate so it didn't foul the larger discs.