PDA

View Full Version : Excessive power upgrades/Suitable engine swaps?

J18A
01-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Hello. I'm planning my next project, but I had a few questions. What sort of power figures is the 6A13TT engine capable of achieving after spending roughly £10k? Are there any better engine swaps that are more viable to make more power? If so, what sort of engine configuration am I looking at?

Thanks.

Confused
01-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Spending £10k on parts and doing the work yourself, and paying £10k to both buy parts AND get someone else to do the work will give you very different end results.

But, basically, there is very little available "off the shelf" for a 6A13TT engine, so anything you do, needs to be designed and fabricated from scratch.

The main reason for this is that the engine was only available in the Galant/Legnum VR-4, and they were never sold in the USA.

Why is this an issue? Because when vehicles are sold in the USA, there tends to be lots, and lots of shops all start doing stuff with them, which breeds competition, which brings prices down, and products onto the market.

If you want cheap power, then a VR-4 is probably one of the worst possible base vehicles to choose!!

Anyway - you've got a couple of options. Firstly is to upgrade to bigger turbos, and keep a twin configuration. The "most common" is TD-04, because they will fit between the engine and firewall, and between the engine and radiator. This will keep the characteristics of the VR-4 - good power throughout the whole rev range, but not a huge headline power figure.

Secondly, is you go to a large single turbo. This can be positioned on top of the gearbox. This will give you a better headline power figure, but at a sacrifice of low down grunt, because the larger turbo will take longer to get going.

There have been plenty of threads talking about power increases - I suggest you spend some time taking a good look through the forum :)

J18A
01-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Spending £10k on parts and doing the work yourself, and paying £10k to both buy parts AND get someone else to do the work will give you very different end results.

But, basically, there is very little available "off the shelf" for a 6A13TT engine, so anything you do, needs to be designed and fabricated from scratch.

The main reason for this is that the engine was only available in the Galant/Legnum VR-4, and they were never sold in the USA.

Why is this an issue? Because when vehicles are sold in the USA, there tends to be lots, and lots of shops all start doing stuff with them, which breeds competition, which brings prices down, and products onto the market.

If you want cheap power, then a VR-4 is probably one of the worst possible base vehicles to choose!!

Anyway - you've got a couple of options. Firstly is to upgrade to bigger turbos, and keep a twin configuration. The "most common" is TD-04, because they will fit between the engine and firewall, and between the engine and radiator. This will keep the characteristics of the VR-4 - good power throughout the whole rev range, but not a huge headline power figure.

Secondly, is you go to a large single turbo. This can be positioned on top of the gearbox. This will give you a better headline power figure, but at a sacrifice of low down grunt, because the larger turbo will take longer to get going.

There have been plenty of threads talking about power increases - I suggest you spend some time taking a good look through the forum :)

Thanks for your reply! So paying £10k when a friend I will be doing all the work could get me somewhere? But as you said, this would require a lot of fabrication of course. Is there any viable engine swaps that would make more use out of the money?

SGHOM
01-02-2016, 12:19 PM
I've said it before, & I'll say it again......

If you want to go faster.... buy a faster car !! ;)

J18A
01-02-2016, 12:38 PM
I've said it before, & I'll say it again......

If you want to go faster.... buy a faster car !! ;)

Of course, but I love the look and shape of the Galant too much! Plus I like being different. I don't have any desire to get a supra or a skyline..so if you have any suggestions for something different, then let me know. ;)

Pugme
01-02-2016, 04:07 PM
There is a dodgy video on YouTube of a galant with a 2jz

Here you go buddy
http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?47575-Toyota-2JZ-GTE-Engine-on-8G-Galant

chris g
01-02-2016, 05:15 PM
Hello. I'm planning my next project, but I had a few questions. What sort of power figures is the 6A13TT engine capable of achieving after spending roughly £10k? Are there any better engine swaps that are more viable to make more power? If so, what sort of engine configuration am I looking at?

Thanks.

You want to try an engine that you fancy with x power then give it a go -try to fit the engine...?

May mean lots of fabrication and experimentation to find if it fits and if does what you expect and want in the VR-4 bodyshell...

Same as engine mods for the VR-4 - yrs ago I said we need people to do stuff until it goes BANG so then we have an idea about benefit of partic upgrades and ultimate limitations due to the weakest part...

Trotty
01-02-2016, 10:56 PM
Hey bud. I have a stock 6a13tt motor making 300hpatw on stock turbos. The motor is usually good for about 500crank hp. There are suppliers out now that do fogged rods(prizm) and Pistons (wiseco) off the shelf. As stated any turbo upgrade will require custom manifolds and exhaust. U can buy cams off the shelf too from NZ. I'm planning a forged build with 500hp+atw. Running the twin tdo4 wrx turbos and forged motor and cams. I think that's more than enough. My car with 300hp does a 12..8 quarter mile.

J18A
04-02-2016, 11:59 PM
There is a dodgy video on YouTube of a galant with a 2jz

Here you go buddy
http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?47575-Toyota-2JZ-GTE-Engine-on-8G-Galant

Yeah, seen that haha.

You want to try an engine that you fancy with x power then give it a go -try to fit the engine...?

May mean lots of fabrication and experimentation to find if it fits and if does what you expect and want in the VR-4 bodyshell...

Same as engine mods for the VR-4 - yrs ago I said we need people to do stuff until it goes BANG so then we have an idea about benefit of partic upgrades and ultimate limitations due to the weakest part...

Yeah, definitely. I wish more people knew about these cars!

Hey bud. I have a stock 6a13tt motor making 300hpatw on stock turbos. The motor is usually good for about 500crank hp. There are suppliers out now that do fogged rods(prizm) and Pistons (wiseco) off the shelf. As stated any turbo upgrade will require custom manifolds and exhaust. U can buy cams off the shelf too from NZ. I'm planning a forged build with 500hp+atw. Running the twin tdo4 wrx turbos and forged motor and cams. I think that's more than enough. My car with 300hp does a 12..8 quarter mile.

That's really good! How much do you think a 450/500bhp build could cost? That's pretty good! What's your current 0-60 (or 0-100kmh) like?

Grid
05-02-2016, 02:32 AM

That sounds like a good bang-for-buck ATW figure for a stock engine, I'd like to reach that as well with my Legnum. What supporting mods do you have? A/T or M/T?

Trotty
05-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Hey bud. Support mods are the usual but stock motor and turbos.
1000cc injectors/running e85
255lph pump
600x300x76 core
Hardpipe kit
Fuel loop upgrade
Custom dumps back exhaust 3"
Coil on plug kit vk22 plugs
3port @15psi/5000rpm 229kwatw 450-460nm on e85
206kwatw420-430nm on 98oct
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160205/c19b66f9867e534429f5954c0703a872.jpg

galantnight
05-02-2016, 01:09 PM
I worked this out to be 280 bhp atw on the lowest figure???

Is me or does this seam very high for this ????

Sure someone will come along and correct me :)

Grid
05-02-2016, 02:09 PM
Hey bud. Support mods are the usual but stock motor and turbos.
1000cc injectors/running e85
255lph pump
600x300x76 core
Hardpipe kit
Fuel loop upgrade
Custom dumps back exhaust 3"
Coil on plug kit vk22 plugs
3port @15psi/5000rpm 229kwatw 450-460nm on e85
206kwatw420-430nm on 98oct
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160205/c19b66f9867e534429f5954c0703a872.jpg

Cheers, sent some rep your way. 1000cc injectors make sense for e85 since you need more fuel. Not something that's available in Poland though, such a shame. Otherwise you have a sensible setup for pump gas just as well.
galantnight - the E85 magic fairy fuel contributes a lot to this BHP figure. A bit like NOS but cheaper to run.

Grid
05-02-2016, 02:21 PM

Thanks.

Forged internals are available off the shelf as well from Ozzieland:

http://shop.rpw.com.au/online-store/engine-assemblies/6a13-dohc-24v-short-motor-forged-internals-detail.html

2500 GBP and a trade-in of your old block that you won't need :-)

galantnight
05-02-2016, 04:58 PM
Cheers, sent some rep your way. 1000cc injectors make sense for e85 since you need more fuel. Not something that's available in Poland though, such a shame. Otherwise you have a sensible setup for pump gas just as well.
galantnight - the E85 magic fairy fuel contributes a lot to this BHP figure. A bit like NOS but cheaper to run.
The figure I was looking at was the petrol one

swinks
05-02-2016, 05:56 PM
AUS and NZL powah figures are different to ours in UK :) Been covered many times here. It's "Down-Under" factor. ;)

Trotty
05-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Times don't lie all the same. A sloppy 12.8sec quarter mile @109mph in 30deg C

Oblivion
09-02-2016, 08:55 AM
I worked this out to be 280 bhp atw on the lowest figure???

Is me or does this seam very high for this ????

Sure someone will come along and correct me :)

Looks about right to me!

Regarding suitable engine swaps for more power..... 4g63 is probably the best bet.

SEAN-NZ
10-02-2016, 07:03 AM
A v8

Grid
10-02-2016, 10:32 AM
I don't think you can squeeze a V8 in. A 2JZ (JDM yeah) has been succesfully fitted in a Galant engine bay though. 1000 BHP and a dog-box. I could live with that.

mattnz
10-02-2016, 09:36 PM
For cheapest power, I would agree that a 4G63, but if you wanted 4-cyl you'd probably be better off just getting an Evo.

I've always thought that a 3.5 MIVEC V6 from the Pajero Evolution would be a cool swap. Good luck getting a hold of one though!

J18A
10-02-2016, 10:59 PM
I don't think you can squeeze a V8 in. A 2JZ (JDM yeah) has been succesfully fitted in a Galant engine bay though. 1000 BHP and a dog-box. I could live with that.

Unfortunately I'm picky. I love the AWD system in Vr4's too. I was thinking of the 2jz swap, but I'd probs run into issues with LSD's and of course, I wouldn't have the AWD.

For cheapest power, I would agree that a 4G63, but if you wanted 4-cyl you'd probably be better off just getting an Evo.

I've always thought that a 3.5 MIVEC V6 from the Pajero Evolution would be a cool swap. Good luck getting a hold of one though!

Yes I know, but having something different is quite important to me. I appreciate the suggestion though. Thanks!

SEAN-NZ
11-02-2016, 05:53 AM

enough time and money and it will fit haha

J18A
12-02-2016, 03:14 AM
enough time and money and it will fit haha

That goes with anything haha.

Erni902
12-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Porsche 4.8 V8 non-turbo with 6 speed auto box from a 2008-2010 GTS with 400hp
or
Porsche 4.8 V8 Twin Turbo with 6 speed auto box from a 2008-2010 Turbo S with 540hp

:)

Like Sean says, enough time, money and fabrication/cutting etc etc it will fit!

Louis
13-02-2016, 12:19 AM
You can get a MITSUBISHI GALANT 1998 2.0 GLS 16V 4G63

So

You can pretty much bolt in an 4G63 turbo EVO 4.

As far as I know the engine mounts are the same, so is the gearbox and the centre diff.

I'm surprised no one has done it before??
HAVE THEY??