PDA

View Full Version : Not impressed

enigma
06-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Someone on this forum borrowed my car today and was not at all impressed..................................

:inquisiti

SGHOM
06-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Oh yes ?? explain Dave ? /yes

enigma
06-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Tis not for me to explain!! :embarasse

Kieran
06-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Someone on this forum borrowed my car today and was not at all impressed..................................

:inquisiti

That would be Zentac.... Or maybe someone has been playing "ProjectmakeaV6-24golikestink"...............................

I wouldn't like to say though...... /yes :scholar:

Kieran
06-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Come, come, Dave.... Let's not keep everyone in suspense...................................... :drummer:

Big Ian
06-03-2005, 11:59 PM
C'mon Dave......spit it out? /yes

Kieran
07-03-2005, 12:02 AM
C'mon Dave......spit it out? /yes

Bah! He's gone offline :zzz: .... Guess we'll have to wait!! /grr /wall :shout:

KiwiTT
07-03-2005, 12:12 AM
It should not be Dave to spill. He has done a great job on his car. It is his collegue to explain. I'll stand by Dave, he has nothing to explain.

i3ooyah
07-03-2005, 12:17 AM
You let someone use your car? whhhhyyyyyyy?

Big Ian
07-03-2005, 12:20 AM
It should not be Dave to spill. He has done a great job on his car. It is his collegue to explain. I'll stand by Dave, he has nothing to explain.

/yes fair comment

The Vee
07-03-2005, 12:39 AM
That would be Zentac.... Or maybe someone has been playing "ProjectmakeaV6-24golikestink"...............................

I wouldn't like to say though...... /yes :scholar:

I no nuttin :rolleyes4

But totally confused on this thread
who was unimpressed - the borrower or BDA
Does Mrs BDA drive?

KiwiTT
07-03-2005, 12:43 AM
who was unimpressed - the borrower or BDA

I think dave says it here in the beginning ...

Someone on this forum borrowed my car today

SGHOM
07-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Come, come, Dave.... Let's not keep everyone in suspense...................................... :drummer:
was it the non existant suspension that's put you off VR4 ownership ?? or the lack of performance from his new engine K ?? /yes /yes

Kieran
07-03-2005, 01:58 AM
was it the non existant suspension that's put you off VR4 ownership ?? or the lack of performance from his new engine K ?? /yes /yes

Nah!! 'Tis not I Derek. That said, I must give a VR-4 a good test drive before I buy one, as I ain't *totally* convinced yet... :rolleyes4

ritch_w
07-03-2005, 09:19 AM
whats this thread all about?????? :inquisiti

i'm intrieged (SP?) :inquisiti

enigma
07-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Hmmmmm........he is not rising to the bait!

here are some of the reasons:

Uncomfortable

Noisy

Slow

enigma
07-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Oh, and he had it for about 4 hours! :rolleyes4

SGHOM
07-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Slow
I would hazard a guess, & say it's one of the 3 second mob on here ?? not sure who though. /yes /yes

enigma
07-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Nope, it is a car driver, and his car is not as quick (mind you that doesn't rule anyone out!)

Nick Mann
07-03-2005, 10:43 AM
I would have to agree with noisy.
Uncomfortable - I don't agree with that. It is however a firm ride.
Slow? Huh????!!!!!

p1_
07-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Quick BigDave - reel him in - he took the bait /yes

Lets have some more details - perhaps we can see how the two sides dont match up when we read them :thumbsup:

SGHOM
07-03-2005, 11:03 AM
his car is not as quick (mind you that doesn't rule anyone out!)
I beg your pardon !!!! :leer: /grr

zentac
07-03-2005, 11:04 AM
OK - I will take the bait, it was I !

Too loud - yeah after 4 hours of constant driving and about 200 miles it I had a headache.

Uncomfortable - I guess Im getting old and too use to the Audi I drive day in day out.

Too Slow - The boost was turned down, and without NOS its slower than my FTO. Great at launches, but the mid range just wasnt as goods as I was expecting.

Verdict - I was considering buying one and ditching the Audi, now I dont think I will bother, sorry guys (climbs into flame proof suit)

enigma
07-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Too Slow - The boost was turned down, and without NOS its slower than my FTO. Great at launches, but the mid range just wasnt as goods as I was expecting.

Only by about 1/10 in the 1/4 mile! Its done a 13.9 with no gas! :p

zentac
07-03-2005, 11:22 AM
yeah but your launches are better than mine by about 0.5 sec, so that makes my midrange acceleration about 0.5 sec better than yours.... and your 13.9 was probably running higher boost that it was on Sunday.

valmes
07-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Hehe... FTO is fast? :) Tell us your numbers at 0,6 bar... :) 500kg less, but 2WD on front wheels... hmm, no I wouldn't buy a FTO... and comfort? Are you serious about it? Is FTO really that more comfortable than a 5door, leather estate? In what way?

Right now I am making mid 13s (No I don't use any of the NOS stuff), hope to get low 13s when snow is melted and before new turbos go in. 5 sec 0-60 times on tiny stock turbos... try to do it on a FTO or Audi... you will probably need RS6 to beat those... :)

If you want mid range just turn it up to 0,9-1 bar... E55AMGs can't catch up way after 200kph... that's I guess due to my "poor mid range". Now find one E55AMG and compare your FTO :) :leer:

Kieran
07-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Is FTO really that more comfortable than a 5door, leather estate? In what way?

Dave has fitted coilovers to his leggle. Unfortunately, they're made of concrete. You can feel your spine shatter as you drive over a carelessly discarded crisp packet in Dave's Legnum... :rolleyes4

enigma
07-03-2005, 11:58 AM
In Richs defense his FTO is a monster! Once its rolling it fair shifts..........but, its not his everyday car! ;) I have put 35000 miles on my car in the last 18 months, I doubt Rich has put even 1/10 of that on the FTO :p

In the trim it was in on Sunday it will do 0-62 in 5.2 seconds, faster than his FTO any day of the week, with the boost up a bit and some gas and....well we all know the answer to that!

Rich, I suggest you try another VR4 before discounting them completely. Mine is not the best example of the comfortable environment that the VR4 can be! In race trim its the fastest, but you cant run like that all the time, its a matter of economics!

zentac
07-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Hehe... FTO is fast? :) Tell us your numbers at 0,6 bar... :) 500kg less, but 2WD on front wheels... hmm, no I wouldn't buy a FTO... and comfort? Are you serious about it? Is FTO really that more comfortable than a 5door, leather estate? In what way?

Right now I am making mid 13s (No I don't use any of the NOS stuff), hope to get low 13s when snow is melted and before new turbos go in. 5 sec 0-60 times on tiny stock turbos... try to do it on a FTO or Audi... you will probably need RS6 to beat those... :)

If you want mid range just turn it up to 0,9-1 bar... E55AMGs can't catch up way after 200kph... that's I guess due to my "poor mid range". Now find one E55AMG and compare your FTO :) :leer:

The FTO isnt comfortable, but the Audi I drive day-2-day is.

Last year was the FTO`s first year and it ran a 13.9, wheel spinning all the way up the track. Theres loads more to come once the traction is sorted this year and Im hoping to get low 13`s.

valmes
07-03-2005, 12:36 PM
I know his car is a "monster FTO", but...

1) Can you compare them stock to stock? Haven’t heard of stock turbo FTO....

2) It uses VR-4 engine... so it's not stock. Even with same 280hp engine and weight advantage it doesn’t run much quicker than most heavier VR4.... lacks VR4s 4WD drivetrain.

So it comes down to this: if you want "Fast FTO" - you should also shop for a spare VR-4 :) to use it as a donor car... but then would it be a "Fast FTO with VR-4 power plant and drivetrain" or a "VR-4 with a light FTO body"? ;) Hehe...

zentac
07-03-2005, 12:59 PM
what ever it is its a Fast FTO

enigma
07-03-2005, 01:18 PM
The FTO isnt comfortable, but the Audi I drive day-2-day is.

But the Audi is not a quick car!

I would suggest that there are VR4s out there with the comfort you require AND that will shame the FTO.

I think its a matter of perception, the FTO squeels and bucks its way through the gears so it 'feels' fast. The VR4 effortlessly and smoothly accelerates through the gears giving the impression of a much slower car.

It may be an interesting experiment to log the g forces experienced in the FTO and those in the VR4 using Dereks AP22 thingamijig to prove or disprove my hypothesis!

ritch_w
07-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Rich
try a standard VR4 - as Dave says his probably isn t the best one to be comfort testing - to prove a point - i had to drive 4 hrs non stop to newcastle last week - just as comfortable as my old v6 galant - if not better - the vr4 recaros as so comfy and sweet

and i find midrange very grunty, but then your FTO /VR4 sounds like a real monster :thumbsup: so standard VR4s might just feel a wee bit puny???
cheers

Ritch :thumbsup:

p1_
08-03-2005, 12:42 AM
OK - I will take the bait, it was I !

I knew this thread would hot up a bit :rolleyes4

Straight line stuff is not really representative of point to point performance - would the FTO cope well with an off-camber corner in the wet (complete with drain cover and Mr Hedghog wandering aimlessly)?