PDA

View Full Version : Need help with ayc pump and rear control arm!

catdoctor
20-02-2016, 10:11 AM
I need to replace my 1997 legnum vr4 ayc pump and cant find right one. Does the legnum have same rear control arms with any galant model ? i tried to search but cant seem to find right answers. :huh2: !

Davezj
20-02-2016, 04:05 PM
if you dont mind me asking why do you think you need to replace the ayc pump?

catdoctor
20-02-2016, 05:49 PM
just in case if it cannot be fixed /yes

Davezj
20-02-2016, 06:02 PM
you haven't answered the question why do you think the AYC pump need replacing/fixing.
i am just trying to save you money, if don't want help just say so.

catdoctor
20-02-2016, 06:10 PM
it leaks everything out , very corroded ,no warning lights or anything on dash. Works when theres fluid.

Davezj
20-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Hmm that is interesting, is cortoded pipes or the actual pump itself.
You can get replacement solenoids. These are two cylinders that stick out the end of the pump.
Last time I checked you get than for about £100 each.
You would probably be better getting a used one to replace it if necessary.

catdoctor
20-02-2016, 07:52 PM
allright thanks :) do you know about that rear control arm? but just curious does the evo ayc pumps fit in vr4's?

Louis
20-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Yes, evo ayc pump fits VR4.
Up to evo 7 will go straight in, so will evo8 onwards, but the evo8 on pump also supplies the active centre diff in the evo, but you can block off the feed to the centre diff at the ayc unit.
which arm are you looking to replace, (the VR4 being 4 wheel drive, and the galant non vr4 front wheel drive only).

Arms are cheap on ebay, or from Viamoto website.

:)

Do you know exactly where the pump/unit is leaking from?, As Dave said, parts are available, like accumulator, and solenoids, and external pipes etc.

Grid
20-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Arms are cheap on ebay, or from Viamoto website.

I'd suggest to go to Mitsubishi for suspension components first, a lot is riding on that (pun intended!).

See parts list here:
http://mitsubishi.epcdata.ru/legnum/ec5w/lygf/rear-suspension/rear-susp/

catdoctor
20-02-2016, 08:45 PM
not yet but will know soon ! thanks for the info :happy:

Louis
21-02-2016, 12:28 AM
If you go for a "named" make of replacement parts, I use "Blueprint", also any parts from viamoto are reliable.

depends how much use the car gets and if you do your own repairs and work on the car.

For example:
a front straight arm from the mitsubishi dealership[ garage, will cost UK£200, a front lower curved arm will cost UK£220.

You can get a "Blueprint front straight arm for UK£45 from eurocarparts (uk), with a 1 year guarantee. I use these, but I change them every year before my mot test, whether they need it or not.
SO, £90 a pair every year, OR, £400 from mitsubishi and see how long they last.

I have used mitsubishi ones, and they were needing replaced after 3 years, So I think buying the blueprint ones and replacing every year is reliable and more cost effective.
I do the same with the curved arms.

Front upper A arms are UK£225 from Mitsubishi.
For The upper A front arms I have fitted fully polyurethane bushes on all suspension (a kit from the USA), so the inner A arm bushes are poly bush, and don't wear out! (so I re use them). For the ball joint on the a arm, you can buy the ball joints on there own, (there is a big circlip that holds them in place). the ball joints are UK£20 each, to replace.

OR, I use an ingles adjustable ball joint, again from the USA, which allows me to correct the camber and keep all the geometry correct and adjustable, these are £90 a pair and last a couple of years. So with the upper A arms, I re use only the metal A arm, as I have the poly bush inners and the adjustable ball joint. I only need to replace the metal part of the arms if it looks rough. (I get cheap upper A arms for £40 each, as I only use the metal, not the bushes or the balljoint!)

As I said, it is down to how you drive and how often you work on your car etc.
I am always doing something with the car and check all the parts regularly, I also do all the work on the car myself, so No garage costs. I you had to get a garage to replace the arms every year, it would be too expensive and you would probably be better with the mitsubishi stuff as it lasts longer.

The rear arms do not wear out as quick, so do not need replacing as often as the front arms.
Again, you can use reproduction parts like blueprint, if you change them yourself and change them every year.
( don't wait for them to wear out, just treat it as a running cost for the car.

:)

adaxo
21-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Rear adjustable arm 41617 on picture supplied by Grid is vr4 specific and cost me few years back about £65 each from dealer, so not end of the world there, IIRC there's no after market arm available.

Good practise Louis to change arms regularly as wear and tear items. I would go genuine for front straight arm as they could fail without warning and are hard to diagnose and should last long time, rest will 'let you know' they need to be replaced so no issue with cheaper after marked parts there.

adaxo
26-04-2016, 10:17 AM
OR, I use an ingles adjustable ball joint, again from the USA, which allows me to correct the camber and keep all the geometry correct and adjustable, these are £90 a pair and last a couple of years. So with the upper A arms, I re use only the metal A arm, as I have the poly bush inners and the adjustable ball joint. I only need to replace the metal part of the arms if it looks rough. (I get cheap upper A arms for £40 each, as I only use the metal, not the bushes or the balljoint!)

Any chance you can link me to exact ingles ball joint that fits our arms pls.

Louis
26-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Hi, link from ebay below.
These are for the front A arms, upper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/321762464461