PDA

View Full Version : LH/RH parts different is it normal

Tarps87
04-03-2016, 11:54 PM
I've just received a few parts for the car including the top u shaped arms and lower curved arms, they look very different is this normal? I don't feel comfortable fitting parts that could wear at different rates.

7479074792http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160304/a947582ace970d40371b3289fd000984.jpg7479374794

Louis
05-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Tell seller and get two the same
.the upper arms should have the double metal all round the ball joint, the single metal one is a cheaper reproduction, and will be X if you hit a pot hole!.
Also check the ball joint fitting size. Some are 30mm ball joints and sons are 35mm diameter through metal part.
Same with the curved ones, if the ribbed bushes are different get two the same. The solid ones with the rubber curving out on each side are better. The ones with shaped holes throughout will tear if other suspension bushes weaken.
I would use blueprint parts, they are repro but good quality.

You Re right though. What you want is exactly the same on both sides.

Tarps87
05-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Thanks, I'll contact the seller Monday. I have noticed the ones currently on the car aren't double metal all the way around so guess they've been done before.
They are all optimal parts. Which part of the ball joint should I be measuring?

swinks
05-03-2016, 03:38 PM
Lower curved arm should have little offset on mounting bar. Yours in picture are drilled dead on centre bar, OE one are located few millimiters off to one side. So, you got typical cheap replacement part which will wear pretty quickly do to inappropriate alignemnt of mentioned arm.
Here reference picture of mentioned bar with position of drilled holes:

BTW, it's an Evo rear arm, picture is just only for reference, couldn't find OE Galant front lower arm picture.

Tarps87
05-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Lower curved arm should have little offset on mounting bar. Yours in picture are drilled dead on centre bar, OE one are located few millimiters off to one side. So, you got typical cheap replacement part which will wear pretty quickly do to inappropriate alignemnt of mentioned arm.
Here reference picture of mentioned bar with position of drilled holes:

BTW, it's an Evo rear arm, picture is just only for reference, couldn't find OE Galant front lower arm picture.
Did know they would be copies and they will wear quicker although hoping they will last a year and not just fail. Trying to find a knock on the car but no obvious cause. My concern is they are different so may wear even quicker and have strange behaviour.
Looking at the blueprint curved arms they look to be offset like you suggest.