PDA

View Full Version : how to remove rear turbo

paulbonner84
05-03-2016, 08:07 PM
as per tittle .is there a thread on how to remove the rear turbo ,has a quick search but cant seem to find anything

Grid
05-03-2016, 09:31 PM
There's no tutorial because this is not a job for the faint-hearted. Engine has to come out. Not something I would ever attempt in my garage.

Adam.Findlay
05-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Undo the oil and water lines then undo the V-band clamp on the turbine housijg unclip the wastegate actuator and out it comes, leaving the turbine and exhaust manifold in place.

Nick Mann
06-03-2016, 08:47 AM
It is awkward at best in the car.
I personally take the transfer box off which helps access a lot and allows you to bring the turbo down in one piece.

Davezj
06-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Nick Mann
did you remove the turbo from exhaust manifold to get it out or did the exhaust manifold come out as well?

paulbonner84
06-03-2016, 10:17 PM
cheers guys .think i will split the v band and do it that way .as i only got to put the modded cold side on .should save a bit of time too

Davezj
07-03-2016, 12:25 AM
What have you actually had done with the turbo, i know you talked about hybrid turbo, but what have you changed.

larger compressor wheel and inlet housing.
from a 7T to a ?

paulbonner84
07-03-2016, 07:46 AM
74829 . thats the sizes of the new wheel over the standerd one ,and had the houseing machined out to suite .wouldnt know where to start with weather it would be a 8t ,9t 10t and so on ,whould think possibley be a 11t as it is 4mm bigger

Davezj
07-03-2016, 10:00 AM
That looks interesting, it is a size increase per blade so the overall surface area goes up by quite a bit.
I presume this design has been tested on the bench
prior to fitting. The main reason for this is to ensure the nut on the top of the compressor wheel does not come undone when under load. This would trash the turbo and potentially the engine as well.
Hybrid turbos have been tried before and failed in this way. But I think the compressor wheel went much bigger than yours.
The threads are on here I presume they would be found searching on hybrid turbo.

paulbonner84
07-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Yes its been tested .not seen them since he has done them .just spoke to him and there is still about 3mm thread left on the shaft . Is also said the only reason that the nut would ever come off is if it semi sized

Davezj
07-03-2016, 02:50 PM
What you have to remember is the original compressor wheel size was chosen to match the exhaust wheel the entire unit would spin at about 230,000 rpm due to it's very small size. What the hybridisation has done is created drag on the compressor wheel. The exhaust wheel is still trying to spin at 230,000 rpm but the extra drag on the compressor wheel is effectively trying to undo the compressor wheel off the shaft.
I believe the shaft has a standard right hand thread on it, so as the exhaust wheel try's to spin faster than the compressor wheel you always have this undoing force.
The harder you drive the car the more of an undoing force you apply.
Just make sure they use a really good quality thread lock on the nut. To stop the happening.

An analogy for this would be to imagine a bolt in the jaws of a drill, this bolt has a nut on it, pull the trigger of the drill and the bolt and nut will spin but if you create slight drag on the nut by applying a little bit of pressure with your finger, the nut starts to unwind off the bolt.
The other thing is the shaft of the turbo is not very strong and it is easy to snap the shaft when doing the compressor wheel nut up so the nut is not very tight in the first place, I believe it is only recommended to use a few nm of force.

However, As long as the company doing the hybrid turbo for you know what they are doing it should be ok.

paulbonner84
09-03-2016, 05:57 PM
What you have to remember is the original compressor wheel size was chosen to match the exhaust wheel the entire unit would spin at about 230,000 rpm due to it's very small size. What the hybridisation has done is created drag on the compressor wheel. The exhaust wheel is still trying to spin at 230,000 rpm but the extra drag on the compressor wheel is effectively trying to undo the compressor wheel off the shaft.
I believe the shaft has a standard right hand thread on it, so as the exhaust wheel try's to spin faster than the compressor wheel you always have this undoing force.
The harder you drive the car the more of an undoing force you apply.
Just make sure they use a really good quality thread lock on the nut. To stop the happening.

An analogy for this would be to imagine a bolt in the jaws of a drill, this bolt has a nut on it, pull the trigger of the drill and the bolt and nut will spin but if you create slight drag on the nut by applying a little bit of pressure with your finger, the nut starts to unwind off the bolt.
The other thing is the shaft of the turbo is not very strong and it is easy to snap the shaft when doing the compressor wheel nut up so the nut is not very tight in the first place, I believe it is only recommended to use a few nm of force.

However, As long as the company doing the hybrid turbo for you know what they are doing it should be ok.
Dave I have asked him exactly what you asked and he come back with .The turbine and shaft that the compressor wheel came off is the same as our turbos .and therefor it won't make any difference in drag on the shaft witch in turn won't undo the nut .oh one more thing it is a compressor wheel from a 2.2 transit

Davezj
09-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Dave I have asked him exactly what you asked and he come back with .The turbine and shaft that the compressor wheel came off is the same as our turbos .and therefor it won't make any difference in drag on the shaft witch in turn won't undo the nut .oh one more thing it is a compressor wheel from a 2.2 transit

fair onough. as long as you are happy with the product and the result you get.

paulbonner84
09-03-2016, 09:38 PM
74834 not the clearest but you can see how much has been taken out of the housing .will find out how much of a diffrence it makes at area 52

hbkuk1
10-03-2016, 07:52 AM
Very interested to see the results of this :)

paulbonner84
10-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Very interested to see the results of this :) me too rich ��