PDA

View Full Version : Temperature/LPG problem.

cwgt93
07-03-2016, 02:31 AM
On a drive today my VR4 refused to switch over to LPG. The blue light was flashing to indicate it was active and trying but it wouldn't switch over. This was the case for around 50 miles.

After said miles it would eventually switch over but only for a few minutes and it was very jumpy and the car didn't want to go anywhere if I put my foot down - car ran perfectly when lpg was turned off.

Also, after around 150 miles the temperature gauge started going abit nuts. It would fluctuate between going in the red zone to coming back down to just above normal to going back in the red zone etc, etc.

I pulled over to inspect - nothing untoward. I also noticed the temperature gauge would increase seemingly in sync with me accelerating. It also went hotter when in a 30mph zone opposed to a 60mph zone.

Any ideas people!?

Cheers.

Grid
07-03-2016, 02:45 AM
Try to check if the coolant radiator is cold to the touch (try not to burn yourself if it isn't). If it's cold you have a thermostat stuck in the closed position, and the engine is overheating.

Check this page out: http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-if-Your-Car's-Thermostat-Is-Stuck-Closed they tell you to try and squeeze the radiator hose to double check.

Also not being able to switch the LPG means that the LPG system is not getting enough heat from the coolant pipes. Again points to the thermostat stuck closed. Engine overheating due to coolant not reaching radiator AND LPG system detecting an under-temperature condition for the same reason.

Davezj
07-03-2016, 03:25 AM
coolant tempgass pressure
rpm

can all effect the switch over point.

but my guess would be coolant system issue as Tomasz says above.

no hot coolant to the vaporizer the liquid LPG does not get converted to gas. the injectors are not designed for liquid lpg so the temp sensor on the vaporizer will stop the gas injectors switching on.
the same happens if the gas pressure is low due to the lack of hot coolant, low gas pressure will stop the gas injectors from turning on.

the coolant to the vaporiser would normally come off the heater matrix coolant pipes so you could get the car warmed up and switch the heater on fully hot and see if the air comes out hot if it does not then this is flagging up a coolant system issue.
If this is the case there is nothing wrong with the gas system as it is doing what it should do and stopped working due to the parameters for normal operation not be correct.

you need to verify if the radiator is getting hot when the engine is warn, and if hot air is coming out of the heater when the car is hot.

If the engine is hot and the rad is cold and there is coolant in the rad then the thermostat is a prime culprit.

cwgt93
07-03-2016, 04:06 AM
Try to check if the coolant radiator is cold to the touch (try not to burn yourself if it isn't). If it's cold you have a thermostat stuck in the closed position, and the engine is overheating.

Check this page out: http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-if-Your-Car's-Thermostat-Is-Stuck-Closed they tell you to try and squeeze the radiator hose to double check.

Also not being able to switch the LPG means that the LPG system is not getting enough heat from the coolant pipes. Again points to the thermostat stuck closed. Engine overheating due to coolant not reaching radiator AND LPG system detecting an under-temperature condition for the same reason.
Thermostat sounds very likely then. Hopefully no damage done :/

cwgt93
07-03-2016, 04:10 AM
coolant tempgass pressure
rpm

can all effect the switch over point.

but my guess would be coolant system issue as Tomasz says above.

no hot coolant to the vaporizer the liquid LPG does not get converted to gas. the injectors are not designed for liquid lpg so the temp sensor on the vaporizer will stop the gas injectors switching on.
the same happens if the gas pressure is low due to the lack of hot coolant, low gas pressure will stop the gas injectors from turning on.

the coolant to the vaporiser would normally come off the heater matrix coolant pipes so you could get the car warmed up and switch the heater on fully hot and see if the air comes out hot if it does not then this is flagging up a coolant system issue.
If this is the case there is nothing wrong with the gas system as it is doing what it should do and stopped working due to the parameters for normal operation not be correct.

you need to verify if the radiator is getting hot when the engine is warn, and if hot air is coming out of the heater when the car is hot.

If the engine is hot and the rad is cold and there is coolant in the rad then the thermostat is a prime culprit.
There is hot air coming out from the heaters, however I remember it only blowing hot air on max 32 degrees. 31.5 and below = not hot air.

Advisable not to drive it with this issue I would assume? Hope I haven't caused any major damage.

Davezj
07-03-2016, 09:00 AM
You need to get it sorted as soon as possible.
Take the rad cap off (when cold) and check for sludge for staters.

Grid
07-03-2016, 09:04 AM
There is hot air coming out from the heaters, however I remember it only blowing hot air on max 32 degrees. 31.5 and below = not hot air.

Advisable not to drive it with this issue I would assume? Hope I haven't caused any major damage.

I think you caught it early, thermostat is probably on its way out yet, but not quite there. Do you have far to the garage to get it checked? If I were you I would make that my nearest destination and drive the car there with a very light throttle while monitoring temp gauge. You have coolant circulating in the engine, but it's not very effective.

cwgt93
07-03-2016, 09:10 AM
I think you caught it early, thermostat is probably on its way out yet, but not quite there. Do you have far to the garage to get it checked? If I were you I would make that my nearest destination and drive the car there with a very light throttle while monitoring temp gauge. You have coolant circulating in the engine, but it's not very effective.
It's about an hour to my nearest mitsi dealer, but there's a local garage half a mile down the road. Just gunna have to take the risk and trust them I guess! Is the thermostat a specific for each vehicle or is it just a case of picking one with the correct temperature rating?

Grid
07-03-2016, 09:20 AM
It's about an hour to my nearest mitsi dealer, but there's a local garage half a mile down the road. Just gunna have to take the risk and trust them I guess! Is the thermostat a specific for each vehicle or is it just a case of picking one with the correct temperature rating?

They don't vary much... any decent mechanic should be able to pick & source one. The Mitsi part number is MD337408 for a FL car.

cwgt93
07-03-2016, 09:25 AM
They don't vary much... any decent mechanic should be able to pick & source one. The Mitsi part number is MD337408 for a FL car.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Time will tell if I've caused any damage I guess!

Davezj
07-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Before you take it to a garage just make sure you have coolant in the rad and there are no obvious leaks from loose hose clamp or split/ pin hole in hoses.
Don't rely on the level of water in the expansion tank.
Check the level in the rad you should see it full to the brim.
I have seen people driving round with no coolant in the rad due to a faulty rad cap not holding the pressure.
Just check the level when the engine is cold.

It cost. Itching to check.

giblet
07-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Rad was changed a few months ago. Didn't get time for the thermostat but a spare was included which was purchased directly from Viamoto so is the correct item. The only times it would ever not switch over the gas was either when there was no gas left or the time I blew a fuse but that time the light on the switch wouldn't even illuminate.

Edit - spare set of fuses for the lpg system were left in the sunglasses holder if you ever need them. Fuses are situated next to the battery.

cwgt93
07-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Rad was changed a few months ago. Didn't get time for the thermostat but a spare was included which was purchased directly from Viamoto so is the correct item. The only times it would ever not switch over the gas was either when there was no gas left or the time I blew a fuse but that time the light on the switch wouldn't even illuminate.

Edit - spare set of fuses for the lpg system were left in the sunglasses holder if you ever need them. Fuses are situated next to the battery.
Cool cheers Gib, do you know whereabouts you put the spare thermostat? Can't seem to find it.

giblet
07-03-2016, 02:55 PM
Have a look in the glovebox or the main bit of the armrest. There should also be a spare rad cap with it.

cwgt93
07-03-2016, 06:54 PM
Have a look in the glovebox or the main bit of the armrest. There should also be a spare rad cap with it.
Got it thanks. I'm getting the thermostat replaced and coolant flushed as it has lost some. The guy at the garage almost tried to talk me out of it, pointing out the newly fitted radiator would indicate to him a bad underlying problem - I'm sure that's not the case though. Hopefully the thermostat sorts it and I'll be back on the road soon. Don't have much luck with cars, me! :mad:

giblet
07-03-2016, 07:20 PM
Got it thanks. I'm getting the thermostat replaced and coolant flushed as it has lost some. The guy at the garage almost tried to talk me out of it, pointing out the newly fitted radiator would indicate to him a bad underlying problem - I'm sure that's not the case though. Hopefully the thermostat sorts it and I'll be back on the road soon. Don't have much luck with cars, me! :mad:

The rad suffered a crack in the plastic end (common problem) a few months back, I had ordered the thermostat online around the same time but it took a while to turn up and I never got time to go back to my mechanic to have it fitted.

cwgt93
07-03-2016, 07:24 PM
The rad suffered a crack in the plastic end (common problem) a few months back, I had ordered the thermostat online around the same time but it took a while to turn up and I never got time to go back to my mechanic to have it fitted.
Yea no worries, wasn't doubting you. Just hope I haven't caused any long term damage and that it is infact the thermostat. Would be quite surprised if it isn't though. These things happen!

cwgt93
09-03-2016, 08:27 PM
Thermostat replaced and...problem gone! :) car seems right as rain, touch wood. The temp gauge was in the red for probably 10 minutes collectively though, so I'm abit apprehensive. Is there any checks I can do to determine if I've caused any long term damage? Or is it just wait and see?

Davezj
09-03-2016, 08:58 PM
i would not worry about it to be honest there is not a lot you can do about it now.

just run the car and enjoy it, if something does go wrong in the future you can worry it about then. just enjoy the car.

cwgt93
10-03-2016, 03:07 AM
i would not worry about it to be honest there is not a lot you can do about it now.

just run the car and enjoy it, if something does go wrong in the future you can worry it about then. just enjoy the car.
Fair one! Think I'll get a compression and leak down test done to put my mind at rest anyway.

cwgt93
10-03-2016, 08:27 AM

Oh, and I'd hate to pester you about those pictures again!... ;)

Davezj
10-03-2016, 02:20 PM
Oh, and I'd hate to pester you about those pictures again!... ;)

Yes pictures,
i will get them tonight, my brain is like a, what do call it, a thing for getting lumps out stuff, you know, a strainer but that is not the word i am looking for, no it gone.

Grid
10-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Yes pictures,
i will get them tonight, my brain is like a, what do call it, a thing for getting lumps out stuff, you know, a strainer but that is not the word i am looking for, no it gone.

A sieve :D

Davezj
10-03-2016, 05:02 PM
That's it, lol.
I even forget the thing I use to describe the things I forget.

Davezj
10-03-2016, 09:38 PM
picture sent now.

cwgt93
12-03-2016, 04:09 PM
picture sent now.
Got them Dave thankyou, I was wanting a pair without the orange indicator bit as I just think clear looks better. Thanks anyway!

On a side note, compression and leak down tests passed with flying colours. Looks like I got away with that pesky stuck thermostat!

Davezj
16-03-2016, 09:24 PM
JDM lights do not come with clear indicators.

you have to remove the front lenses by heatign the light unit up so the glue holding them on softens and you can pull the lens off then you can break the orange indicator lens out of the headlight unit and heat the glue again and then press the front lens back on.

or you can try to break the orange lens through the back of the headlight unit through the indicator bolb opening.

as i say the JDM lights only come with orange indicators.

Tarps87
16-03-2016, 10:45 PM

you have to remove the front lenses by heatign the light unit up so the glue holding them on softens and you can pull the lens off then you can break the orange indicator lens out of the headlight unit and heat the glue again and then press the front lens back on.

or you can try to break the orange lens through the back of the headlight unit through the indicator bolb opening.

Or you can unscrew them once you've got the front off ;)
The glue can be heated with a hot air gun and a couple of screw drivers to leaver the front off, easier with two or more people

cwgt93
17-03-2016, 12:05 AM

I see! After some straight off of a v6 sport then I guess!

Davezj
17-03-2016, 03:21 PM
The uk spec head lights are glass with separate indicator modules. I have a pair thoughts as well. In very good condition. I also have a pair of quite rare headlight protectors ( due the lenses being glass) that are designed for the uk spec lights because they have the bulge in them where the headlight meets the indicator.
Bit more expensive though.