PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge reading Help!

Mayday
07-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Hi all,
Only had my vr4 for a few weeks and notice it doesn't seem to hold much fuel just wonder if someone could clarify a few things?

First I believe the fuel tank is 60ltr but when I fill up from just under a quarter of a tank it only will take about 32-35ltrs, which would make the last quarter of the tank 25-30ltrs but the last quarter goes down as fast as the rest of the upper tank.

Is this correct?
I only get around 120 miles out of the tank from full down to a quarter, this is town driving but like a old granny!
I read that people get upto around 250 miles from a tank on a run.

Not worried that it uses so much fuel as I knew these are juicy cars but only 35ltrs to fill from a quarter is bothering me.
If someone could verify this would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe it's not a 60ltr tank which would explain it!

Many thanks
Mayday

galantnight
07-03-2016, 08:05 PM
It is 60 lites, if you let it go down till the warning starts to glow I think you have 10 lites left, try filling it up then and see what it takes to fill up, I have a similar thing but it's were the sender needs to be turned around in the tank, I let mine go down to the glow light and then fill up.

giblet
07-03-2016, 08:15 PM
As John says, the tank is 60 litres. I always found that the fuel needle would drop pretty quickly at first but the last third took a while to go down. I second the suggestion of running it until the light comes on and then filling up. I always used to fill it to the first click and then work out my actual mpg. That also let me calculate how many miles I could do before running out, never ran out as a result but I did have a fillup or two where I was almost running on fumes.

Davezj
07-03-2016, 10:04 PM
first 30L of fuel will drop the fuel gauge to about 1/4 the next 20L will take it to the red light coming on then you have about 10L left.

Grid
07-03-2016, 10:14 PM
first 30L of fuel will drop the fuel gauge to about 1/4 the next 20L will take it to the red light coming on then you have about 10L left.

And anywhere within the last 10L, much sooner than you think, and definitely before you've reached the gas station, the VR-4 will splutter to a halt. So beware, I've ended up without fuel at least a couple of times, this is due to the odd shape of the fuel tank.

TAR
07-03-2016, 11:35 PM
The gauges are notoriously bad for accuracy. Also be aware that the low fuel light may also go faulty. I reset my trip meter when I fill up and know I'm good for at least 180 miles. A full tank will last me about 230 miles.
:happy:

bungle
08-03-2016, 10:28 AM
I'm about same as TAR. Fuel gauges are nuts on these cars I get about 75 out of my 1st quarter then it drops 2 quarters over the next 60 miles.

SGHOM
08-03-2016, 10:54 AM
I did a little experiment with mine many years ago.

I ran it until the light came on....... then i ran it & ran it !! For around a week, until i dare not run it anymore.

Filled it up, & it took just 52 litres !!

Grid
08-03-2016, 02:38 PM
I did a little experiment with mine many years ago.

I ran it until the light came on....... then i ran it & ran it !! For around a week, until i dare not run it anymore.

Filled it up, & it took just 52 litres !!

I did the same. With my N/A V6 I'd get away with it - up to 60 miles on reserve and it would really cover that distance before running out.

With VR-4 you are good for up to 30 miles and it will give you little warning. Maybe a little hesitation on throttle.

Mayday
10-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Thanks to all for all your help!