PDA

View Full Version : New coilovers needed

Coffeebuzz
11-03-2016, 07:20 PM
So my Tein Comfort Master Type CS coilovers are getting very tired lately. My front left seems to be completely dead and my rear left probably isnt far behind.

I have considered rebuilding them but the last time I had the wheels off, half of the actual body of the shock crumbled away from corrosion. So that option is out.

So its time to research new suspension. Im after something that can soak up some pretty terrible roads when paired with 18" alloys and can still be fun on the windies. Also adjustment is important, in both height and damping.

Im not too impressed with how my Teins have fallen apart, but this may be down to the cars previous life, and also Im not sure how old they actually are.

Iv had BC BR-Series before on an old 1600 Mivec and they seem to be great quality and well able to support spirited driving but they were a little too solid on bad roads from what I can remember. And I aint getting any younger. But their option to lower the entire shock as opposed to just the spring is a big plus

Iv never had D2's before but Iv heard good reviews about them.

Standard shocks with lower springs are a no.

All of the above fall into my price range but Im not sure what is best suited to these cars (Legnum Vr4) so I was hoping to get some opinions or experiences from fellow members who have had any of the above.

adaxo
11-03-2016, 08:01 PM
Any of them are good, D2 are cheaper than Teins and my D2 fail after setting in stiffest dampers and ride on bumpy road so I pick teins as replacement. Apparently they improve corrosion protection in new models as, as you said, it was shocking before.

By saying both are good i mean everything which allows you to pick various spring ratings to suit your needs is good. To me 5kg front and 3kg rears are just right for my liking.

Grid
12-03-2016, 01:27 PM
One thing to consider - Tein EDFC in a Legnum is great, because to adjust the rear shocks manually you have to remove pieces of trim otherwise. I'm planning to go down that route (Teins+EDFC)

Piers1989
12-03-2016, 11:42 PM
One thing to consider - Tein EDFC in a Legnum is great, because to adjust the rear shocks manually you have to remove pieces of trim otherwise. I'm planning to go down that route (Teins+EDFC)

I'm also planning to do this - considering the active system that can adjust on the fly too (G sensors / speed sensor etc - similar idea to the AYC) but would really like a demo before spending that cash on the computer for it!

Coffeebuzz
13-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. To hear that Tein have improved corrosion resistance is great as I actually really like the Teins I have. They go soft enough for my liking while still giving the car alot of stability. Maybe I'll go the Tein route so. EDFC sounds good as an add-on because its a pain to set the rear shocks in a Legnum with a boot full of crap.

Any good Tein dealers you guys would recommend. Viamoto? Spring Loaded?

adaxo
13-03-2016, 08:54 PM
I get mine from Japan, working out fairly cheaper than any local online shop, 12 weeks of wasting thou.