PDA

View Full Version : ride height

paulbonner84
23-03-2016, 11:37 PM
right guys i am in need of the messurment on a standard vr4 from centre of hub to arch lip so i can set my coil overs up to get rid of bump steer .ps i want it in mm/cm not how many fingers you can fit between the arch and the wheel as this dosnt work when we all have diffrent size wheels

Davezj
24-03-2016, 02:31 AM
i have had my VR4 front end set at many different heights over the years i have had my second vr4 and never sufferend from bump steer.
i have had tramlining issues when the tracking was out.
oh hang on i have a set of standard shocks and springs on the front of mine at the moment as i am refurbing the teins (well i was some moths ago) so yes i can give you a measurement tomorrow from my car.
it will only be a rough measurement though.

so the measurement required is bottm side of of wheel arch directly above the centre of the wheel. i will do this with the wheels in the straight ahead position as when the wheels are turned the centre of the wheel moves forward and backwards in the wheels arch due to the multilink suspension setup.

my wheel stick out a little bit from the wheel arch as they are the evo 8 enkie's. i might be able to get a picture of it so you can see what i mean.

paulbonner84
24-03-2016, 08:20 PM
brillint thanks Davezj ,mine stick out a bit too .at the moment there is about 5-10mm gap between my tire and arch with a 225 45 17 tire ,mind you it dosnt help with the offset (et 18 atm will change when i get smaller spacers )of my wheels eather with the bump steer lol

Davezj
25-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Right I will go out and do it now. Unfortunately the car is out on the road outside, so it is not the flattest of surfaces (camber) so I will give you both sides of the car. Curb side and road side.
You should be able to add the two measurements up and divide by two to get an average value.
You get what I mean by the effects of the road camber.

Davezj
25-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Ok so the camber effect of the road is not such a big issue on the road outside my house.
Both sides are 400mm from the centre of the wheels centre cap (tape touching it) to the bottom of the front wheel arch on the wing with the tape (touching it) so the tape bends round the wheel as it stick out a bit see pics below when I upload them.

these are evo 8 enkie wheels so standard stuff really 235/45/17 tyres goodyear eagle F1 asymetric 2 (just for completeness)

the angle of the pic is not quite full front angle so it looks like the tyre sticks out more than it actually does.

paulbonner84
25-03-2016, 09:00 PM
thanks Davezj will see what mine is at tomorrow and will set mine so its just below the 400mm ,see if it makes any diffrence with the bump steer witch i think it will Pugme you might be able to help on this problem as yours sit on the deck

adaxo
25-03-2016, 09:58 PM
What I find out is the lower car go the more rough and unstable it is.

Pugme
14-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Haha unstable isn't a strong enough word to describe my car! But my suspension setup is as far from "just coilovers" as you can get.

The upper rear arms have been modified so where the adjoining bar bolts thru it's been moved inwards by 10-15mm for more negative camber, I have adjustable mounts on the upper arm that are also set to full negative, the front has an ingalls camber correction kit fitted backwards, my teins take a beating every time I drive the car and I have the full energy suspension polybush kit (48 in total) with solid urethane engine mounts :-)

No my car doesn't rub, yes it sits 5mm of the tyres...

Comfortable? no

Awesome?

Hell yes!!!

billybobboot
18-05-2016, 07:12 AM
Mine is 10mm lower than stock with 205/55/16 the bottom hits everything (i had a cusco brace) with 235/40/18 its just clears everything every now and then the bar hits a few bits but will measure both front and back tonight