PDA

View Full Version : Auto ECU into Manual FTO VR-4 Conversion

Erni902
27-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Ok so putting a VR-4 engine from an Auto into an FTO that is manual.

Will the engine ECU be fine or will it need an engine ECU that was attached to a factory manual. Was there any difference between the Engine ECU's that were on manuals and the ones on Auto's?

Purely talking about the ENGINE ECU's here

foxdie
27-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Should be fine mate. Might need to drop a different ROM on it worst case (you'll get check engine light if this is the case) but it'll run fine regardless :thumbsup:

Erni902
27-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Cheers Jason, cracking response as always. I was kind of hoping you would pop along tbh but didnt want to be cheeky and tag you in the post haha. Many thanks mate.
dazjb FYI

hbkuk1
28-03-2016, 06:36 AM
I've done a manual conversion in an FTO which is much the same thing with no issues auto ecu was fine

Erni902
28-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Cheers Rich

Nick Mann
28-03-2016, 11:56 PM
I've run a facelift manual converted VR4 with a stock facelift auto ecu for years before the technology of flashing was uncovered.

Erni902
29-03-2016, 01:21 PM
Good to know, cheers Nick :)

technikhaus
13-04-2016, 03:50 AM
Just wanted to jump in here and say thank you for the replies as well, I'm planning on exactly this swap this weekend, if all goes well.
Car won't be running any time soon, but good to know the info before hand either way!

dazjb
13-04-2016, 08:32 PM
technikhaus - I put the auto ecu into my FTO, the engine ran exactly the same as the manual ECU but I had a couple of error codes flashing, these were for the traction control. The manual VR4 ECU I have is a non-TC one so I didnt get these errors. At least I know now my manual ECU is fine.

I'm keeping the auto-ecu as i'm going to butcher the connector to create a loom as I have decided to go standalone now, ive had enough of piggybacks and MAF to MAP conversions :huh:

veegeeta
14-04-2016, 11:13 AM
What was the issues using the vr4 ecu reflashed? in my fto i run the vr4 ecu with maf set up no issues. I have more features put into my vr4 ecu like anti lag launch control and boost gear tunning. car was originally auto. but is now manual with a auto ecu. rom got changed for auto and manual. The only difference we found between fto and vr4 was some of the fto is analog and vr4 was digital . still going strong after 8 years