PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet Wobbles

Sulli
07-03-2005, 11:29 PM
I think my wheel balancing is a bit out as I get a vibration at 80+mph.
I can feel it in the steering, but also can see it in the bonnet - not sure if it's just a symptom of the wheel balancing or if the bonnet can be tightened up at all - seems OK when i've checked when stationery.
Considered checking looseness when it's happening, but the wind just blew me back in the window :rolleyes4

Zeke
07-03-2005, 11:47 PM
i would agree with you on the wheel balancing if your steering wheel jitters and you feel vibration at higher speeds.

Nick Mann
08-03-2005, 02:33 PM
IIRC the rubber stops on the inner wing for the bonnet screw in and out. You could raise them a bit to hold the bonnet more firmly?

Sulli
08-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Good thinking Nick - i'll have a look and see if a couple of washers under them will help as a temporary measure till I get new tyre - can do without balancing for a couple of months as I want to get 4 new F1s anyway.

bernmc
08-03-2005, 09:48 PM
mmmm driving around with a juddering wheel can wreck your suspension in no time... it should only cost you a tenner to get them balanced... compared to a couple of hundred for new bushes?

Sulli
08-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Fair point :embarasse
Though if/when Mitsubishi get back to me on whether my car is a recall for bottom arms, the bushes will presumably be replaced too, FOC :smug:
I'm going to chase that up tomorrow - will get the balancing done I suppose too.

Dan_G
08-03-2005, 10:11 PM
"Considered checking looseness when it's happening, but the wind just blew me back in the window"

lol just picturing you hanging out the window at speed trying to check the bonnet....... If you had a moon roof you could've got someone else to drive as you climb down the windscreen..... /lol

Yeah, I noticed my bonnet wobbles a bit......

god only knows the amount of times I've stopped to check its closed properly :rolleyes3

Rally205
09-03-2005, 02:09 PM
"I think my wheel balancing is a bit out as I get a vibration at 80+mph."

You shouldn't be going that fast :-policema Stick to the legal limit and you won't have the problem. People like you who blatantly flout the law need locking up. :joker: :thumbsup:

Sulli
09-03-2005, 02:24 PM
I only reach that speed on my 'private' driveway up to the castle, which is really really long :smug:

Rally205
09-03-2005, 03:02 PM
I get up to that speed in my garage :pimp2: