PDA

View Full Version : Hks super sequential

Andre
08-03-2005, 05:00 AM
Who has the hks super sequential blow off valave on there car ? And if when you all had it put on de the car's rpm play the fool? did the car perform the same or better ? what happen bad or good ?

Rally205
08-03-2005, 11:34 AM
I've got one and I have had no problems with it. I wouldn't say it has improved the performance of the car but it does safeguard the turbos and sounds great.

Roberto
08-03-2005, 04:37 PM
I had one on an MR2 Turbo, again no power implications, but great sound. :happy:

Seriously thinking about one for the Legnum.

I sourced through Taka Kaira in Japan the last time, where are you sourcing and have you checked out Taka Kaira, about 4 years ago they had the best price I could get anywhere.

Lets know what you are going to do.

Kenneth
08-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Blow off valves do not increase performance... they just work to keep the turbo spinning by avoiding excessive pressure buildup in the piping before the throttle body.

If you are having idle trouble, then you most likely have it set too soft and it is opening at idle.

There should be a few threads about that deal with this, just do a search and you should find the information you need.

Nick Mann
08-03-2005, 08:05 PM
I was under the impression that BOV's are more important where turbo lag is an issue? They allow the turbo to keep spinning. With our teeny tiny turbos, there is no real lag, so no real performance gain.

Am I talking rubbish or what?

Wodjno
08-03-2005, 08:20 PM
I was under the impression that BOV's are more important where turbo lag is an issue? They allow the turbo to keep spinning. With our teeny tiny turbos, there is no real lag, so no real performance gain.

That sounds about to me Nick .. I've read that unless you are running large Turbo's and rather Large BHP there is no gain to performance wotsoever . But there Great for getting drivers back in there lane when there about to cut you up on roundy's :evil2: :thumbsup:

Kenneth
08-03-2005, 08:23 PM

There is a bit of debate about that issue actually... some people reckon their cars work better with, some reckon without.

supposedly not having a blow off valve causes the compressor to slow rapidly due to pressure build up in the piping, then again I have heard/read that it only matters at high boost (20psi+)

The impression I have got is that for non-racing use (street cars running low to medium boost) It means diddly squat, except for the noise factor... which tends to be what we like most about them anyway! In racing use, they are probably nessacary due to the increased pressures and the fact that its probably takes a while to get the turbo/s spooled in the first place.

Wodjno
08-03-2005, 08:28 PM
But on the other hand .. Dump valves have been around for many years ... even back in the 80's with the Group 'B' rally cars .. And these where cars using big big turbo's and big big PSi and big big big BHP , but they chose not to install a dump valve .. SO who knows . ??

konman
08-03-2005, 08:35 PM
so.. hang on a tick.. what is the point putting on an aftermarket blowoff valve when the VR4 already has internal wastegates ? is it just for the noise or is there a significant safety benefit ??? /help

Kenneth
08-03-2005, 08:38 PM
True... thats why there is plenty of debate about it...

IMO its all about the sound and being able to scare peds and make cyclists crash as you go past.... not to mention the fun of going past a :-policema and dumping (oh so conveniently) just at that moment.

Wodjno
08-03-2005, 08:44 PM
True... thats why there is plenty of debate about it...

IMO its all about the sound and being able to scare peds and make cyclists crash as you go past.... not to mention the fun of going past a :-policema and dumping (oh so conveniently) just at that moment.

Don't you just URRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRV to Dump on :-policema :evil2:

Kenneth
08-03-2005, 08:45 PM
so.. hang on a tick.. what is the point putting on an aftermarket blowoff valve when the VR4 already has internal wastegates ? is it just for the noise or is there a significant safety benefit ??? /help

Yeah, its all about the sound. although in saying that, if you take your BOV out and block the pipes, the turbo makes a pretty cool sound anyway!

wastegates are a completly different thing, they are to regulate boost pressure. When the wastegate opens, the turbine gets less exaust flow which causes it to stop accelerating (or to slow acceleration) which in turn stops more pressure building up on the compressor side. A dump valve is there because when you shut the throttle plate, the turbo doesnt slow down quick enough to avoid a pressure spike in the piping... so the dump valve dumps the excess air. without the dump valve, the pressure builds up and tries to go backwards through the compressor, causing it to rapidly slow and making a cool fluttering sound.

Kenneth
08-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Don't you just URRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRV to Dump on :-policema :evil2:

hehe, It all comes down to how much trouble you want to be in :rolleyes4

ie: here you go... meet BUBBA!

Wodjno
08-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Try 1 of these and you can have it as Noiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisy oy as quiet as you want :thumbsup: http://www.newdimensions.com/2003/gui/04_pro/gfb_fx.html

_simon_
09-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Doesn't it also depend on whether you have a manual or an auto, as I was under the impression that with normal driving a BOV won't do much in an auto as you don't take your foot off the gas between gear changes.

Wodjno
09-03-2005, 02:12 PM
I know u don't have to take your foot off the Gas in an auto .. but it doesn't mean you don't have to . :rolleyes4 . When i have got my dumpvalve turned to recirculating i don't take my foot off the gas on gearchanges .. But when it's turned to dump to the atmosphere i take my foot off the Gas for split second just to get the whoosh :evil2: .. When i'm in fun mode i drive in Tip to, so u know exactly when the gear changes are .. so when to lift off.. :thumbsup:

Smokinmasta2
13-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Ask Dan G about his stealth AFX - looks really cool and makes a nice sound too!

Smokin...................

Kenneth
13-03-2005, 09:01 PM
hehe, when I get a BOV, its going to be all sound... No other reason for getting one IMO.

That stealth one looks good, and if you want the best of both worlds (sound and recirculation) then go for it.

If all you care about is scaring pensioners on their way to the bus, (the ones, who unlike Spirit, are able to remember their bus pass ;) ) children on the way to school and cylists, whilst in the mean time impressing young school girls/boys (I will not assume peoples preferance... ) and attracting the filth like a magnet then I would get something that is cheaper, peforms well and makes lots of noise.

Happy hunting... whatever it is that you hunt :D

Dan_G
13-03-2005, 10:35 PM
yeah I've got a Stealth FX....... had it on the car for 3 months now... looks ace IMO and can sound as quiet or as loud as you like.....

My bro has a HKS SSQV on his GT4 and he likes my SFX so much he's thinkin of getting one.....

Comparing the two in terms of sound.... I'd say the HKS is manic sounding no matter what and my bro regularly makes kids cry and OAP's nearly have hearty attacks in the street :evilgrin:...... The Stealth however is adjustable so if you want to shatter eardrums you can, but if you fancy being a little more subtle its just the turn of a knob....

heres a piccy:-

banjo
14-03-2005, 10:01 AM
I've got an HKS and it's excellent 'specially when you overtake a Beemer and just gently lift off a tad and ppppisssofff!!!