PDA

View Full Version : Is my Dump Valve dumping at the right times and the right amount?

Piers1989
16-04-2016, 06:58 PM
So I got my new dump valve last week and it was fitted before I got the car back from its long battle with many repairs, upgrades and an MOT.

I bought the Forge Split R Hybird from adaxo and had the garage fit it, but I imagine they will have put it on immediately without adjusting it at all.

I'm aware its adjustable between recirc and dump and I think its somewhere between, I'm guessing mostly recirc at the moment? Adaxo you don't happen to know what it was set to do you?

My last legnum had a dump valve and it was REALLY loud, very audible from inside with the windows up. This one in its current setting it easily noticeable with the windows down but I hear almost nothing with the radio on or windows up.

Also my other concern, I got under the car and listened as my friend rev'd it to around 3.5k and there was some air coming out of the "exhaust" for lack of a better word. Is it possible the spring isn't tight enough? - That said I had him bring it to idle and fast rev it to 4k and release and from being right next to it it made a significant release.

I do have an AFR gauge fitted now too and even after dumping it isn't running rich if you go back to normal throttle so I assume most of the air is still making it to the engine.

http://i.imgur.com/ZbGH2uu.jpg

Any advice everyone?

adaxo
16-04-2016, 09:41 PM
I can't remember how it was set as I use it few years ago, it's very easy to adjust, if it's fitted right way, you don't need any tools and it was easy to reach with car on the ground. Juts turn few clicks and choose when you like it.if it's fitted in hybrid mode then it will not be as loud as vta.

dazjb
17-04-2016, 08:56 AM
http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/The_Splitter_a_Recirculation_and_Blow_Off_Valve--product--793.html

Go to link above, click on 'Fitting Guide', there's a PDF file you can download which tells you how to adjust it and what you can expect if it's adjusted too stiffly or softly.

Piers1989
17-04-2016, 01:57 PM
http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/The_Splitter_a_Recirculation_and_Blow_Off_Valve--product--793.html

Go to link above, click on 'Fitting Guide', there's a PDF file you can download which tells you how to adjust it and what you can expect if it's adjusted too stiffly or softly.

Thanks for this, I've been out in it and adjusted it a few times. Its now set at 34 I think. I had it higher and it wasn't releasing at all, think it was less than this before I reset it and started from scratch.

What AFR should I see under WOT? I know I touched on this when I was setting up the wideband in the other thread but my question was more about normal driving.
I'm seeing around 10.8 - 11 under WOT, this sounds rich to me!

I was going to swap out the "dump nozzle" thing for the plug to make it fully recirculating to make sure it stayed the same with it plugged up to make sure it wasnt leaking boost from the new BOV but i can't get the nozzle out its so tight...

elnevio
17-04-2016, 08:54 PM
AFRs seem very normal for a VR-4. /yes

Piers1989
20-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the advice :)

Certainly seems to be running ok otherwise.

billybobboot
20-04-2016, 10:47 PM
If i read it right the thread.
I have my bov set up so it wont dump below .6 bar this way day to day driving it might give off the odd noise but its not till i turn the boost controler on and boot it that it then works