PDA

View Full Version : Keeping VR4 ECU alongside a Standalone

dazjb
20-04-2016, 07:59 PM
I'm currently fitting an Ecumaster EMU standalone. It can take over just about everything from the standard VR4 but I'm unsure about a couple of things - the alternator and the diagnostics pins.

Does anybody know what the ecu is doing with the alternator as there are two pins going to it, Connector 3 - Pins 4 & 5. Are these essential for the alternator to work correctly?

Wondering whether i need to keep the VR4 ECU alongside the standalone to keep hold of these functions.

Cheers

billybobboot
20-04-2016, 10:42 PM
I know its a diffrent ecu but im running the hks f con v pro gold as piggy back as you can use the stock ecu for all the extra sensors and when to run the coing fans ect without having to but all new sensors for the aftermarket. Fcon can do all the fans and ac and other bits but you have to buy water temp sensors and addapt the ac sensor ect so easyer as piggy back but its just not as refined for the mapping

dazjb
21-04-2016, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm going standalone so ideally so want to get rid of the VR4 ECU ... don't fancy running it in parallel with the Ecumaster.

I've got to the bottom of it with help from the FTO Aus site as there are others with the same setup. The alternator wires can be taken out as the alternator has its own regulator. The diagnostic wires are to be removed as well, this will lose the check light function but the ecu i have will let me know if any of the sensors are malfunctioning.

I can now remove the VR4 ECU altogether :)

adaxo
21-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm going standalone ago ideally so want to get rid of the VR4 ECU.

I've got to the bottom of it thanks to the FTO Aus site as there are others with the same setup. The alternator wires can be taken out as the alternator has its own regulator. The diagnostic wires are to be removed as well, this will lose the check light function but the ecu i have will let me know if any of the sensors are malfunctioning.

Great info there, keep them coming, as I think of this standalone (with a twist) path too.

dazjb
21-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Great info there, keep them coming, as I think of this standalone (with a twist) path too.
I'll do a bit of a write up once I've got it up and running as there is plenty of other stuff that needs doing a well.

adaxo
21-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Looking forward to read this.