PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Gauges On One Monitor

coney
29-04-2016, 02:41 AM
I'm looking for an alternative to having a load of gauges stacked everywhere specially since my eyes aren't the best in the world so obviously i want all the usual gauges but not quite sure what companies there are out there that produce a large enough screen say 7" or a bit bigger but i have no need to be changing boost or any other settings just viewing.

There's Edge who produce the range Evolution
http://edgeproducts.com/products/?category=gauge It says something about Digital Multi-Gauge Display for OBDII Enabled Vehicles. whats the OBD2?

And Greddy Informeter Touch
http://www.greddy.com/products/electronics/informeter/

Not convinced about the 2nd though due to having a small 3.5" screen & the ability to change the various options.

Any Help Appreciated

coney
29-04-2016, 02:44 AM
All the pictures were in the correct order sorry about that

hbkuk1
29-04-2016, 06:12 AM
I have this and it's great http://www.plxdevices.com/Wideband-O2-Touch-Screen-Multi-Guage-p/897346002719.htm

Nick Mann
29-04-2016, 08:59 AM
OBD2 is a standard for reading information from a cars ECU. The stock VR4 ECU is not OBD2 compliant. There is a product from Evoscan I think which can display information. Evoscan IS stock VR4 compatible. I seem to remember that your car does not have a stock ECU anymore, so it might be worth talking to Eurospec about what is compatible and what isn't from that point of view.

I also have a PLX multi gauge with several sensors. I am a fan of the system. Interestingly, PLX also now do a multi gauge which is OBD2 compliant, so you can monitor from OBD2 compliant ECUs as well as additional PLX sensors. If your ECU is ODB2 compliant then I would look at going down that road.

The PLX system allows you to purchase multiple sensors and then daisy chain the electronics to one multi gauge (or several multi gauges if you want) so you can add to the system as you want and keep the gauges as discreet as you want. Have a look on youtube for PLX stuff and you will get a good idea.

One other gauge I like the look of was a combined boost/AFR gauge, I think by AEM. It had the ability to set an audible warning on logical statements. So 18:1 AFR is fine if you are decelerating but catastrophic if on boost. So you could set the gauge to set, for example, a warning if AFR goes above 13 AND boost goes over 0.2bar.

jaspa
29-04-2016, 09:59 AM
There is a product from Evoscan I think which can display information.

Evoscan (windows version) is the product that has the dashboard, and this can be configured for any number of guages. I have this running on a 10" Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 (Windows 10 Professional) and it works well IMO.

ScanDroid is a 7" tablet running an Android version of Evoscan, this too can be configured to run many guages.

as Nick says, these likely won't be any good with aftermarket ECUs though.

Davezj
29-04-2016, 10:05 AM
If you have OBD2 compliant interface then you can get a Bluetooth ODB2 dongle and connect it to any tablet of phone with the corisponding app and display all the info you want.
Most apps have customisable displays with gauges, oscilloscope traces, bar graphs, etc.
You just buy the dongle. You might already have a tablet like a very cheap tesco's hudle, some way to mount it, and you are done.

Atik has a thread on this that he has just started being used on his Volvo..

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

swinks
29-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Neal, as mentioned above, any OBD2 gizzmo won't work with Legnum/Galant VR4. Mitsubishi somehow messed up with obd2 standard. Even Evo's 8-9 which suppose to work with this standard are not fully compliant with such devices, i.e. Android Torque app can't access to some of their features. Very disappointing.

The only solution I can see, it's the Evoscan, either Win version on 7in or 10in Win tablet, or Evoscan tablet based on Android (they did work on Android app, but seems that this project never been finished). On top, you will need OpenPort cable.

Nick Mann
29-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Neal, in another thread you said you had a ViPec. I have no idea how you can connect to realtime information on that, but it may be that you need a tablet or pc connected to it with a USB. Eurospec are a ViPec dealer so should be able to advise.

Atik
29-04-2016, 12:06 PM
Thumbs up from me on the PLX devices. I had that in the Stagea, cost a fair bit though, but much better than multiple gauges and pods etc.

John TheAntique
29-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Neal, in another thread you said you had a ViPec. I have no idea how you can connect to realtime information on that, but it may be that you need a tablet or pc connected to it with a USB. Eurospec are a ViPec dealer so should be able to advise.

Download the Vipec software and plug it into a laptop or tablet.You will find there is a USB hanging around the dash somewhere. Peasy.

coney
30-04-2016, 02:30 AM
I've looked at those already Rich & they do look good bits of kit but i can't physically touch it can't even scratch my own face hence why i need them visible & not having to scroll through different options.

Cheers for the reply though buddy

coney
30-04-2016, 03:03 AM
I'm learning slowly i bet everybody on here thinks "whats this guy doing with a 500hp+ car doesn't know FA about it & can't even drive the dam thing"

You remembered correct Nick its had a Vipec V44 since around 2013.

I'm bad with worrying & nerves its all about money now Nick its at £992 & still got a few more tests to be done but i can't see there being that much more can you? I got around £1200 left to play with so I suppose it can't hurt asking Ben

Here's what i've just pulled from the Vipec website.

coney
30-04-2016, 03:19 AM
double posted

coney
30-04-2016, 03:22 AM
Evoscan (windows version) is the product that has the dashboard, and this can be configured for any number of guages. I have this running on a 10" Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 (Windows 10 Professional) and it works well IMO.

ScanDroid is a 7" tablet running an Android version of Evoscan, this too can be configured to run many guages.

as Nick says, these likely won't be any good with aftermarket ECUs though.

Stuart Alot of that has gone to million miles over my head as i'm sure alot more posts on this thread will. I think the best idea is what Nick mentioned about asking Ben what is compatible with my ECU & whats needed.

coney
30-04-2016, 03:27 AM
Download the Vipec software and plug it into a laptop or tablet.You will find there is a USB hanging around the dash somewhere. Peasy.

If i did that John the car would never run again, i haven't got the knowledge or confidence to start fiddling like that i'll leave it to people who know what there doing.

coney
30-04-2016, 03:35 AM

Yes Nick why didn't i think of that? /hammer i'm tempted to send Ben an email but i don't think he will reply with it being the weekend its worth a shot. chers Nick:chugchug:

coney
30-04-2016, 03:54 AM
If you have OBD2 compliant interface then you can get a Bluetooth ODB2 dongle and connect it to any tablet of phone with the corisponding app and display all the info you want.
Most apps have customisable displays with gauges, oscilloscope traces, bar graphs, etc.
You just buy the dongle. You might already have a tablet like a very cheap tesco's hudle, some way to mount it, and you are done.

Atik has a thread on this that he has just started being used on his Volvo..

That sounds reasonably easy enough Dave I've already got a couple of laptops i could give it go my only concern is if i mess something up i'd just turn into a blind panic.

Davezj
30-04-2016, 09:25 AM
I am not saying it is odb2 compliant, only if it was, then the Bluetooth dongle you plug in only monitors perameters you can't change anything, and on a 7" Tablet after you have configured it you should be able to get 6 or 8 visible gauges all the time no scrolling between screens.

This is the sort of thing I am talking about
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/291664566093

I don't know why every odb2 compliant car doesn't have this sort of thing fitted.
You could say, Who needs a speedo and rev counter, or any kind of dash board display any more. when you could have a completely configurable LCD display.

Well some of the high end cars already have this on them like s class merc, Ferrari, etc.

Nick Mann
30-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Yes Nick why didn't i think of that? /hammer i'm tempted to send Ben an email but i don't think he will reply with it being the weekend its worth a shot. chers Nick:chugchug:

I think I saw that there is a Time Attack thing this weekend. If so it is very unlikely that you will get through to Ben, as they support several cars in that series. I guess that an email will be seen when he gets back to work though!

coney
02-05-2016, 03:47 AM
I am not saying it is odb2 compliant, only if it was, then the Bluetooth dongle you plug in only monitors perameters you can't change anything, and on a 7" Tablet after you have configured it you should be able to get 6 or 8 visible gauges all the time no scrolling between screens.

This is the sort of thing I am talking about
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/291664566093

I don't know why every odb2 compliant car doesn't have this sort of thing fitted.
You could say, Who needs a speedo and rev counter, or any kind of dash board display any more. when you could have a completely configurable LCD display.

Well some of the high end cars already have this on them like s class merc, Ferrari, etc.

Thats pretty damn cool Dave well a try for the amount of money definitely getting one for my mobility chrysler voyager which has constantly got the engine management light on & has been to several chrysler garages, not 1 has managed to find anything conclusive but i bet my arse on it that would find something!

Thanks alot Dave

coney
02-05-2016, 03:57 AM
I think I saw that there is a Time Attack thing this weekend. If so it is very unlikely that you will get through to Ben, as they support several cars in that series. I guess that an email will be seen when he gets back to work though!

Yes Nick your 100% correct, i spoke to Ceri about the parts she said she was ordering them just before i phoned & then confirmed they would be away racing so i should imagine my parts will arrive wednesday but ben should get my email monday night or tuesday morning.

Cheers Nick

coney
04-05-2016, 03:28 AM
Still waiting to hear something back from Eurospec about a few things they must be really worked off there feet i've sent 5 emails in the last couple of weeks i think i might be better off giving them a tinckle in the morning.

swinks
04-05-2016, 09:27 AM
You better call them. Ben reads emails, no worries, but rather don't answer emails unless is really urgent and important. Usually, the best way is to give very details in email, and then call him to discuss the matter and potential outcome.
At least this works for me :)