PDA

View Full Version : Help needed!!!

Stubydoo
04-05-2016, 11:47 PM
My Legnum won't turn overview had it for 2 days now but today it was fine then struggled a lil it seemed and run a lil lumpy and stalled then started and was ok. then was fine again the next time then decided it was going to give up all in a space of a couple of hours I have all dash lights etc and battery seems ok with over 12 volts on multimeter but doesn't do anything sometimes it clicks sometimes it don't what can it be

Goreden
05-05-2016, 06:19 AM
I went to help Stubydoo last night as he is a good friend of mine, in the end we towed his leggie home but after having a little look around it etc it seems like the car is trying to start but the starter motor didn't want to turn
Which makes me think the starter motor is knackered bit I could be wrong
Over to you guys on here for your opinions

TAR
05-05-2016, 08:03 AM
I would start with checking the battery is good. It is possible for it to read 12V but not have enough cranking power. Will the car start with jump leads?

The starter motor may be jammed on the starter ring. If this is the case, putting the car in gear and rocking it may release it.

Last resort would be to swap out the starter motor which is fairly easy to do as its under the engine at the front
:happy:

Nick Mann
05-05-2016, 08:18 AM
If it is an auto it will only start in P or N. Check what the dash says the car is in. Aftermarket immobilisers can sometimes confuse the issue. Other than that, what Tim said and then report back and let us know. Starter motors can fail, but it isn't common on these cars, the ignition switch failing is more common.

chris g
05-05-2016, 02:48 PM
I went to help Stubydoo last night as he is a good friend of mine, in the end we towed his leggie home but after having a little look around it etc it seems like the car is trying to start but the starter motor didn't want to turn
Which makes me think the starter motor is knackered bit I could be wrong
Over to you guys on here for your opinions

Not certain that it is good for these cars to be towed on the road due to 4WD...

Nick Mann
05-05-2016, 02:53 PM
Short distances at low speed is okay, but it is not recommended.

Goreden
05-05-2016, 06:02 PM
It was a short distance no more than 2 miles, and I don't think we went more than 20mph, just had a look at the car, tried a brand new battery with no succes so we pulled the starter out and it is proper knackered, so a new starter on order for tomorrow and we'll see what happens

adaxo
05-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Hopefully new starter sort it out.

jaspa
06-05-2016, 11:17 AM
If you want to test it, my spares Legnum is still parked up for a couple/three more weeks until I get the driveway back. You're welcome to borrow the starter, give it a go and bring it back after.

Stuart

Edit - Actually, that sounds similar to what happened when my battery was dead, I'd look there first.

Goreden
06-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Cheers for the offer Stuart, it's appreciated but not needed now bud as we have just fitted the new starter and she fired straight up, bonus!

elnevio
06-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Result! It's always nice when the diagnosis is correct! :2thumbsup

Davezj
06-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Excellent a win before the weekend has even started.

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

TAR
06-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Yay, another satisfied customer of the friendliest club around.

Goreden
06-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Yay, another satisfied customer of the friendliest club around.

Makes a change for me to be able to help someone rather than everybody helping me
Thanks for the replies too chaps

Stubydoo
08-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Hey sorry not been on but kinda new to this forum malarkey! Yeah all sorted now thanks for everyone's input and thanks Goreden for your help it's much appreciated!