PDA

View Full Version : Battery light on

Goreden
10-05-2016, 04:58 PM
Hi all, help needed again, this time for me, took the vr4 to pick the mrs up from work this afternoon and drove there fine, whilst waiting for her to come out my battery light came on
Checked under the bonnet and all the belts are still there so checked with a multi meter and when engine off i was getting 12.3 ish volts but when it was idling i was only getting 11.5 ish volts
Tried feeling down the side of the alternator but was so hot I couldn't get my hand down there, I'm thinking my alternator is knackered but could someone possibly confirm for me?
Many thanks guys

lkedweaver
10-05-2016, 06:50 PM
It's don't sound good power drops when running it's probably earthing in side which making it hot and lost of power. but not sure. Hopefully someone will have a better idea than me

Piers1989
10-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Mine was doing this before I replaced the alternator.

My 4 pin plug was frazzled too. There's a chance just replacing the plug would have fixed it but it's more likely the voltage regulator went and that's why the plug was frazzled.

I still have the old one if it's of any help but its probably dead too!

Goreden
11-05-2016, 06:45 AM
Thinking a little about it I'm not sure the alternator itself was getting hot but just because it's so close to the turbo i think that's why I couldn't get my hand down there
My next question is where can i get a replacement alternator?

elnevio
11-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Viamoto do them, and usually with a £50 rebate when you send the old one back.

Piers1989
11-05-2016, 12:36 PM
I believe EuroCarParts do them too. Not sure if they are OEM though.