PDA

View Full Version : STR diff

Bender
11-05-2016, 01:43 AM
Hey guys, Been looking on this site and google and still can't find any info I'm wanting, So would anyone know the number of splines on a ST-R open diff? Or has a close up photo of the splines on the diff so I can count it?

Thanks.

Kenneth
11-05-2016, 01:49 AM
What do you need it for?

I have a diff and axles here, so can get the info - just need motivation :P (its a long walk out to the garage lol)

Bender
11-05-2016, 01:55 AM
I've found a Diamante/Magna LSD diff for very good price without the shafts, Want to check to see if the ST-R shafts have some splines count as the Magna LSD diff so I can (hope to)use the ST-R shafts that i ready have.

Kenneth
11-05-2016, 02:02 AM
The Diamante diff is effectively the same (assuming the same ratio 3.3125 or whatever it is) however there are some other things you need to look at

1) The drive shaft flange bolt pattern. The Diamante diff I used had a different bolt pattern and I needed to get a flange from a VR-4 diff.
2) What sort of LSD is it? If it is viscous, you will need to get the inner CV cups to suit because the shaft is different on one of them. If it has CV cups like on the VR-4, it could be as easy as swapping the inner CV on the correct side, but you will still need the cups (or at least the one with 2 splines) from the LSD.

These are not deal breakers, but can lead to much more cost/hassle than you expected.

I actually have 2 LSD diffs (plate LSD) and one set of axles for sale if you are interested. The cheapest of which is going to be in the $600 range though, so it comes down to what you want, what you can afford and how much effort you want to go to.

Bender
11-05-2016, 03:30 AM
Did you have the Japanese 4WD Diamante diff?

Far as I know it is viscous one, is from a Aussie build 03/04 Manga/Diamante, Was talking to one of the Aussie guy who has a one in his and the diff and axles were direct swap over,

Now know that the ST-R shafts are smaller then the Magna/Diamante splines.

The car at the moment has a open diff in it and plan was to put a LSD head into the Legnum diff casing but was thinking that a Diamante would be cheaper and easier just to swap in,

I will pm you about your diff's, Thanks Kenneth.

Kenneth
11-05-2016, 04:25 AM
Yeah, it probably was the Japanese one. Can't remember too much other than the things it needed to fit properly which made me think I should just have found an STR setup.