PDA

View Full Version : oil light

colVR4
09-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Quick question for those in the know.

My oil level dropped down to the minimum recently and the oil light started flicking on when going round corners and at low revs. The level normally drops to minimum about this time (with about 2000 miles to go until next service) and has done so for the past two years.

I took it to the garage when this first happened and they said that it was within normal tolerances for a V6 to use a litre of oil in 7000-9000 miles. There are no signs of any oil leak and there is no blue smoke from the exhaust. I have had no problems since then.

However, this time after topping up the oil the oil light still comes on when the engine is idling. It goes out again as soon as you touch the throttle by even the tiniest amount. :inquisiti

Has anyone come across this before? I read somewhere that there was a recall on faulty oil lights/sensors and that if the oil is at or below minimum muck can get on the sensor causing a fault. Anybody know any truth in this? /help

ritch_w
09-03-2005, 11:16 AM
could be a faulty sensor - what level is the oil at now when it flickers???

BTW - the one and only time i didnt change the oil at 4500 miles on the v6 - nearly ran out of oil with 1500m to the next service.....

i was told its normal...........

Big Ian
09-03-2005, 11:44 AM
were the hell does the oil go? (i dont mean filling the engine)
ie: out the exhaust or dehidraite :rolleyes4 if it's burning it and going through the exhaust would this not cause problem's with emission's at "MOT time?"

colVR4
09-03-2005, 12:01 PM
The oil has been topped up to maximum now, so that is why I was concerned that the oil light hadn't gone out.

ritch_w
09-03-2005, 12:19 PM
The oil has been topped up to maximum now, so that is why I was concerned that the oil light hadn't gone out.

could be the sensor - best to get it checked out

Ian - dunno where it went - it didnt burn oil like an engine with worn rings etc.
Apparently v6 and v8 engines can "use"oil when given a good thrashing - and mine was ;)

psbarham
09-03-2005, 07:44 PM
I took it to the garage when this first happened and they said that it was within normal tolerances for a V6 to use a litre of oil in 7000-9000 miles. There are no signs of any oil leak and there is no blue smoke from the exhaust. I have had no problems since then.

????????? my v6 has done 130000 and went over its last oil change by 4000 miles (not bad for a mechanic/ engineer) and do you know how much oil i put in between changes ...zilch , zip, nowt , not a sausage , and before you ask it does get the living poo poo thrashed out of it but not until it is fully warm , maybe thats the difference

Kenneth
09-03-2005, 08:17 PM
I would get it checked out ASAP...

It could be the sensor, but then again it could be the pump.

wirdy
09-03-2005, 08:41 PM

Get checked soon!!

Hopefully you've just got a broken sensor, if not you're in 'new engine' territory if you continue to drive it.
BTW - working normally, your oil pressure light does not come on until a ludicrously low oil pressure is detected - something like 4-6 PSI.

French cars don't have an oil pressure light - it just says STOP.

Try asking BMW owners about oil consumption - they're told by dealers that 1 litre every 500 miles is 'acceptable' :rolleyes4

SGHOM
09-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Try asking BMW owners about oil consumption - they're told by dealers that 1 litre every 500 miles is 'acceptable' :rolleyes4
tell me about it !! :embarasse I got rid of my 750 IL because of that !

I just assumed I'd bought a pup because of the excessive oil consumtion. only found out later that they drink oil as much as petrol. :rolleyes4 ...... well....err...17mpg was the best I managed ! :embarasse

colVR4
16-03-2005, 02:40 PM
I am wondering if the flickering oil light has anything to do with the fitment of my new air filter. The engine idle speed seems to be a lot lower than it used to.

What revs should the engine be idling at with the shift in neutral, and the engine warmed up? At the moment it is idling just about 500-600 rpm

psbarham
16-03-2005, 06:44 PM
I am wondering if the flickering oil light has anything to do with the fitment of my new air filter. The engine idle speed seems to be a lot lower than it used to.

What revs should the engine be idling at with the shift in neutral, and the engine warmed up? At the moment it is idling just about 500-600 rpm
mine ticksover at 750 rpm turn it up and see what happens

Kieran
16-03-2005, 10:53 PM

Hordak idles at about 650... seems a bit too slow... A tiny bit of throttle to take the revs to 800 (measured using Apexi RSM) and everything is much nicer... The engine doesn't hunt, etc etc.

I think the stupidly low idle speed is a symptom of the ninja-strict emissions regs that the 6A13 fell foul of later in it's life.... I'm betting that your car has 2 oxygen sensors (1 per bank)... These models (like mine) apparently run far more weak at idle so that they passed emissions... :inquisiti

colVR4
17-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Therefore the next question is..how do I adjust the idle?

psbarham
17-03-2005, 08:08 PM
tighten the throttle cable

Nick Mann
17-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Would that work? I did exactly that in my grans 206 to re-charge her battery, but after 2 mins or so the revs went back down? I think it must have been the ECU correcting?

psbarham
17-03-2005, 08:52 PM
i does work i did it on mine , it also takes up all the slack so the throttle opens fully sooner, i think the pug's are fly by wire so the ecu will correct for that