PDA

View Full Version : How much power do you think I've got?

Brind
24-07-2003, 09:01 PM
Just curious 'roughly' how much power I have now.

Car is an automatic but it's the latest shape so I have the upgraded ECU so 276/280 bhp should be on tap.

All I have that is different is the HKS Drager cat back exhaust and HKS Powerflow filter.

I've read the Filter can add about 10-15 and the Drager another 15 or so.. I don't want to appear a complete tit so what would you say my car is producing?

Without a doubt they have made a difference, but BHP wise I haven't really a clue although to mates I brag it's producing nigh on 300 brake :D

Spirit
24-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if thats about right so I would brag the same. Been interested in possibly rolling roading mine but been told no-one south of Bristol has a four wheel drive rolling road - 250 mile round trip so probably won't bother

Brind
24-07-2003, 10:14 PM
Haven't looked for a 4 wheel rolling road around here, if anywhere there is bound to be one in Southampton.. I'll have a look.

Shame the one at Japfest was just a two wheel, I'd love to have gone on that.
Very surprised it was only a 2 wheel considering the amount of 4 wheel cars there were there.

Spirit
24-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Yeah thats true - you never know maybe there will be one at JAE ?

bonsai boy
24-07-2003, 10:26 PM
try sas motor sport in aldershot
web site www.tuning japanese

Brind
24-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Thanks, I just sent them an email asking how much it is for a wee spin on the rollers. :)

I've seen these places charging the earth so I'm not holding my breath.
Your link didn't work either, it's http://www.tuningjapanese.com/ :)

calum
24-07-2003, 11:04 PM
Depends on a lot of things - temp, fuel, condition of ignition system, type of oil used, how much oil is in the sump, etc.

I'd guess at 285bhp at the fly. Aim for that then you won't be too disappointed.

Doubt if the powerflow will make much difference, really, as unless it's in a cold air box you've just raised the intake temps.

Calum

Brind
24-07-2003, 11:19 PM
The induction is a huge problem, I don't have a cold feed to it, as of yet anyhow.

Still thnking about CAT removal which should hike the power up a bit, but I'm concerned about emissions and raised sound levels.
Perhaps upping the boost is the next option.

Nick VR4
25-07-2003, 07:59 AM
Mmmm hard to say I would guess 295 bhp at the fly wheel
At the wheels is a different kettle of fish :confused:

Auto box 4 wheel drive

On the Rolling Road issue
The is a very good 4WD rolling road in my Town Aylesbury

http://www.g-force-motorsport.co.uk/menu/menu.htm

There is also a MLR meeting there 30th Aug if your a member £50 to run

haydar
25-07-2003, 09:51 AM
G-FORCE is where I had my car on the rolling road. It is true that it's the only power figures that are really meaningful are the ones at the wheels INSERT INTO post VALUES (after you've lost a ****e load to Autobox and 4WD transmission.)

Good guys at G-Force.

Brind
25-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks guys for the responce, after looking at that rolling road at G-FORCE it certainly looks the dogs!
Just recieved an email from Tuning Japanese in Aldershot and they are asking for £68.00 + VAT for an hour.

I think I'll wait until I have more power before I try and test what I already have.

Is upping the boost the next best option for upping power or is there a cheaper method to achieve more before going that route?

LOMY
25-07-2003, 09:47 PM
I suspect that increasing boost would be the next cheapest option for significant power gain based on the prices i've been quoted. The next step would seem to be polishing and flowing the cylinder heads. A mitsu mechanic i know reckons it should add between 10 and 15 bhp per bank of three. Should cost around a grand depending on where you get it done and it paves the way for more radical measures later. NOS looks nice :Eyecrazy: but most articles on the subject say even when in the optimum 'wet' setup it can damage pistons etc. Forged pistons would wear better but i think that unless your wallet is deep enough to cope with wholesale destruction at some point, its best sticking to conventional INSERT INTO post VALUES (purist?) tuning measures. Personally i like the idea of tuning an engine by skimming heads, raising compression, internal polishing, blueprinting and toughening engine internals etc INSERT INTO post VALUES (even though i cant afford it, :cry2: i can dream:wiggle: cant i?) . See you all at J.A.E!

Brind
25-07-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by LOMY
even though i cant afford it, :cry2: i can dream:wiggle: cant i? . See you all at J.A.E!

Same here!! just like to disillusion myself. :INSERT INTO post VALUES (
Maybe one day..

See you at J.A.E. too! :)

Spirit
25-07-2003, 10:25 PM
mmmmmm NOS !

[/activate dream mode]

See you Sunday guys

Pete

chris g
19-08-2003, 10:23 AM
Before going for more boost and accurate control of boost I think you should go for a custom exhaust - free flowing s/s kit

Consult an expert, as prev discussed on site, and get it changed from downpipes backwards

Small 'mini-cats' or 'pre-cats' stay on then you have everything else changed

As prev discussed you have to choose 2.5" or 3" pipes

You should have choice of leaving in cat and choice of size/number of silencers

Removing cat releases power also but should not, according to advice I had mean failing emissions at MoT

Noise will prob increase but it already has with HKS kit - induction and silencer

If you are serious about looking for more power I believe thay it is an absolute waste of money to have Super Drager

HKS induction and silencer are OK and I was satisfied with a prev car with then but to then go for more power means changing exhaust system BEFORE looking to change/control turbo output

Going for more boost is wasted on a restrictive exhaust system

And I would think more seriously about fitting a custom intercooler before changing boost

Improve that for more power before expense of boost increase and control

At least tht's what I think

Chris