PDA

View Full Version : Coil Dwell Times & Stepper Motor Info needed

dazjb
31-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Ive just finished wiring in an ECUMaster EMU and currently calibrating the sensors, etc.

I need to enter some coil dwell times, there is a Dwell Time (ms) against Battery Voltage table but i'm not sure what figures to enter into here. Do any of you guys who tap into the VR4 ECU's have access to this information?

I also have to calibrate the stepper motor but I have to enter the number of steps in the stepper motors range .. again I am stumped here :huh:

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Davezj
31-05-2016, 10:38 PM
You could try the VR4 workshop manual that will probably have the values you are looking for.

This search will find the thread 'jap workshop manual pdf'

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

dazjb
01-06-2016, 03:04 PM
I have the manual printed off and can't seem to find info on coil dwell times. I'll have another gander to make sure i haven't overlooked anything.

I've managed to find out number of steps for the stepper motor from FTOOC, its 120 steps for a 6-wire Mitsubishi stepper.

dazjb
02-06-2016, 11:11 AM
One other thing re the coils. I have two options to select from, passive or active coils ...

1.) When using passive coils (without ignition amplifier) the option Coils without amplifier should be used.

2.) For active coils (with ignition module) the option Coils with built in amplifier should be used

Do I select option 1 - passive coils? I dont know whether the term 'ignition amplifier' refers to something inside the coil or an external unit :thinking:

Its important I select the correct one here as I can wreck the ECU if I dont.

Confused
02-06-2016, 11:44 AM
There's the following settings I've found in my ROM (which is Ken's 2.0 ROM)

They are simply listed as "Coil Settings 1", "Coil Settings 2", "Coil Settings 3".

Hopefully this may help?

Confused
02-06-2016, 12:00 PM
And for stepper motor:

These are named: "ICSV Steps #1 (from Russians)", and "ISCV Steps #1 (Incorrect on manual)"

Take from this what you will...

Davezj
02-06-2016, 01:18 PM
As far as i know there is no ignition amplifier external to the coils. the coils are fired directly from the ECU.

but i don't know if that means there is some kind of internal amplifier.
I am not sure if the term amplifier means the same as the term igniter.

the VR4 coil pack only have 3 wires going to them. i know that and most modern coil packs have 4 wires.
3 wires are 12V, gnd, igniter.
4 wires are 12V, gnd, igniter, igniter feedback.

The igniter feedback is used to detect misfires and poor spark. it is not needed to make the engine run correctly so you can run a 4 pin coil pack on a 3 pin coil pack engine, you just dont connect the igniter feedback pin.

put the denso coil number into the denso website it will probably have the info you are looking for.

dazjb
02-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Confused, thanks for the coil dwell times, exactly what i need 👍 Need to check up on the stepper info as i was under the impression it only had 120 steps.

Dave, thanks.. that clears things up a bit. I'll pull one of the coilpacks out over the weekend and double check against the part number just to make sure

Cheers fellas :)

Davezj
02-06-2016, 10:46 PM
edited post above darren