PDA

View Full Version : I've had a Davezj moment

Colin Wiltshire
06-06-2016, 06:31 PM
I've been thinking.

But unlike Dave, I haven't done any research.

My thinking was about boost leak checking, is there an easier way to do this rather than having to take off pipes.
Can you put a bleed nipple or as such into the normal pipe you use, and just connect a pressure line to this when you want to check for leaks?

Davezj
06-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Yes you can.
But you need to block the air off from coming out of the inlet , a standard vr4 oil filter works in the pipe that come off the back of the MAF. You do have to remove the oil filler otherwise you pressurise the crank case and risk blowing out oil seals.
This all sounds ok, but you will be pressurising the inlet pipe work that was only ever meant to see vacuum pressure.
It will probably hold but it is a risk.

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

adaxo
06-06-2016, 07:17 PM
As Dave said above, unless you block intake side just b4 tubs somehow you will be pumping air in engine via various pipes (mainly breather pipe) and pressurized air pass through valves to the engine.

Colin Wiltshire
06-06-2016, 09:50 PM
Ok, so not really viable.

swinks
06-06-2016, 10:09 PM
No worries, that's how Ben at Eurospec does. He knows his job :)

Davezj
06-06-2016, 11:16 PM
Ok, so not really viable.

yes you can do it as i described above, but it is an oil cap off and i forgot to say clamp the rear rocker cover breather pipe to stop the pressure easily going into the heads and block.

personally i would inject the pressurised air into the dump valve activation line, it should presureise the complete system from there.