PDA

View Full Version : I broke my AYC solenoid

Grid
19-06-2016, 07:37 PM
...while trying to strip my AYC pump for a rebuild. To be honest I can't recall any moment where I've hit it or anything. Barely touched it, then noticed at some point it seemed loose, when I pulled on it it came apart with minimal effort. Talk about a weak design Mitsubishi! Hefty metal cylinder, connected to a die-cast aluminum body and the neck of it.. plastic.

Should I even try gluing it back together? Or is it hopeless

Grid
20-06-2016, 08:36 AM
Having queried various places for information it seems that these solenoids are prone to break off if not treated like eggs. So a word of caution to everyone handling their AYC pumps for refurbishement - before you have a go at the main pump body, unbolt and pull out the solenoids. It's very easy to do and could well save them from destruction.

Davezj
20-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Replacement ones can be bought.
The one I fond were about £100 each. I believe they are the same as the ones used on the evo's but check before you buy.
The later evos with active centre diff have 3 solenoids on the pump for obvious reasons.
Maybe amayama.com would have a cheaper one.

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

Grid
20-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Cheers Dave. Amayama won't help here, the AYC pump is only sold as a complete unit. 2300USD before shipping and taxes :) Right now trying to arrange a solenoid to be shipped to me from OZVR4 guys.

Davezj
20-06-2016, 12:12 PM
You can get the solenoids on eBay for £100

Grid
20-06-2016, 01:27 PM

Trying to get it a fair bit cheaper than that, even if it takes 2 weeks to get here from Australia.

Davezj
20-06-2016, 01:48 PM
if you do manage to get it cheaper, post up the way you did it and i am sure there will be others wanting replacement.

i for one would want two solenoids as i will do a rebuild of my pump at some point and i am sure i will break at least one solenoid in the process.

Grid
20-06-2016, 02:16 PM
if you do manage to get it cheaper, post up the way you did it and i am sure there will be others wanting replacement.

i for one would want two solenoids as i will do a rebuild of my pump at some point and i am sure i will break at least one solenoid in the process.

Still waiting for some replies from OZVR4, maybe I can get more solenoids at the same time. Depends on how many pumps they have that can be broken for parts.

Davezj
20-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Oh I see they are second hand solenoids.
Well let is know how much they want for them, and maybe we can work something out to share the postage cost.

Grid
20-06-2016, 06:37 PM

For the life of me I can't find the solenoids on EBay that you speak of.

But look what I found when googling for it: http://www.evolution-hydraulics.com/#!shop-1/caqe
It seems that these solenoids can not only be repaired but strenghtened with billet steel too! And these guys are UK based, so good for you. I just shot off an email to them about my troubles.

Davezj
21-06-2016, 08:15 AM
Just checked my eBay watched items and the solenoid I have bookmarked For years is not available any more.
And I can't find any more.
Sorry.

Grid
11-07-2016, 01:15 AM

Both solenoids fixed/upgraded, now to get on with the pump overhaul