PDA

View Full Version : No more Vpower!

Trolkar
19-06-2016, 08:21 PM
The local Shell gasstation is up for sale. Likely the CirkelK is the new supplier.

Result? - No more 99 octan, but only 95.

Do I need to get a new ROM?

Currently running on Mines 1.2 ECU.

Been reading about the "Knock sensor". If my sensor is working perfect, then the timing should be set back. And causing no harm to the engine.

But what if the sensor is slow working?

What would you guys do?
New flash?
Additives?

Have a external boost controller set to minimum boost. Boost around 1.1-1.5.

1.5 only in very short time.

Thx in advance!

Sendt fra min SM-G903F med Tapatalk

Erni902
19-06-2016, 09:10 PM
What would you gays do?

Probably the same as the straights ;)

Davezj
19-06-2016, 09:44 PM
the car needs to be tuned for the availible fuel or you need to install something to combat the extra knock you will get with 95 octane as opposed to the 98 Vpower.

your options are limited,
you could install water methanol injection system.

or if lpg is available you can install that.

or use an octane booster whenever you fill up which can work out very expensive in the long run.

or detune the car so it works with the 95 octane fuel.

foxdie
19-06-2016, 09:50 PM
What would you gays do?

Well, I'd probably start by looking for another petrol station that sells 98 or better RON fuel. That or a lot of octane additive.

I'd also think yes, you'll need a retune (actually, a different ECU and then a retune), because the knock sensor detects a problem, it doesn't prevent the problem. VR4 engines can take a little knock but only in short bursts, prolonged knock will start breaking things.

I'd also be looking at lowering my boost back to wastegate (0.45 - 0.5 bar) to reduce knock. Mines ECUs make very aggressive timing advances and running it on 95 RON is not an option. Adding boost to that and you may find you have a dead car pretty quickly.

And as the foremost expert on homosexuality in this establishment, I'd also be asking, WHY is gay in your Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo's auto-correct list? :evilgrin:

Davezj
19-06-2016, 09:58 PM
And as the foremost expert on homosexuality in this establishment, I'd also be asking, WHY is gay in your Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo's auto-correct list? :evilgrin:

LOL, LOL, LOL.
you make me laugh jason, you are so fluffy.
Despicable Me, just in case anyone doesn't know.

Trolkar
19-06-2016, 09:58 PM
Probably the same as the straights ;)
Ups! Sorry! - After reading my question over again, I realised why you answer like that.

Trolkar
19-06-2016, 10:01 PM

Again... So sorry.
I have 3 love kids, don't have a clue why the name is in....

Trolkar
19-06-2016, 10:04 PM
Nevertheless, the best way is to travel 40 km back and forth to get Vpower?

Or maybe get another ECU?

foxdie
19-06-2016, 10:58 PM
No need to apologise, we like to make bad jokes here ;)

If you were closer Trolkar I would offer to help tune your ecu, but Denmark is a big trip hehe.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Louis
19-06-2016, 11:56 PM
Not sure how reliable Wikipedia is, but I thought Japanese fuel was lower octane than ours!.

Wikipedia:
Japan: Since 1986, "regular" is >=89 RON, and "high octane" is >=96 RON, lead free. Those values are defined in standard JIS K 2202. Sometimes "high octane" is sold under different names, such as "F-1".

Also with a standard ecu ( not sure about a Mines tuned one), doesn't the ecu limit the power based on the fuel available, I.e. If you fill with 95 ron and accelerate hard, you will get knock and the ecu will retard the ignition to stop the knock. And limit the power to suit the available fuel.
And when you fill with 99 Ron again and accelerate hard there is no knock so ecu changes ignition timing to adjust to new fuel. I thought this was a standard function of the ecu?.

lateshow
20-06-2016, 06:54 AM
Mine's ecu is usually a standard ecu with mines ROM. Can be retuned.

Trolkar
20-06-2016, 07:13 AM
Also with a standard ecu ( not sure about a Mines tuned one), doesn't the ecu limit the power based on the fuel available, I.e. If you fill with 95 ron and accelerate hard, you will get knock and the ecu will retard the ignition to stop the knock. And limit the power to suit the available fuel.
And when you fill with 99 Ron again and accelerate hard there is no knock so ecu changes ignition timing to adjust to new fuel. I thought this was a standard function of the ecu?.

This is exactly what I was wondering about. The ECU SHOULD downgrade the performance according to the fuel.
But I'm not willing to test it the hard way.

Davezj
20-06-2016, 09:23 AM
It down grades the performance by detecting knock and fails back the timing. The knock should gradually reduce over time when driving. But it will go though this process every time you start the car I think. So you will be running through quite a lot of knock every time you drive it.

Sent from my space-aged gizmo