PDA

View Full Version : TPS / Fault 14 - I'm stuck

ako
03-07-2016, 10:07 PM
Bought myself a darling of a legnum

I'm about to torch it

Had a recurring issue for a week or so where it would feel like... Sort of like it was dieing outright, driving at steady throttle it'd surge noticably, and with less than 50% throttle it would stall trying to get moving. Would start and idle fine.

Assumption was TPS playing silly buggers, pulled it off for a look and put it back on in the same position. Also did spark plugs to solve a recurring misfire under boost it had.

Car now won't start and when queried gives error code 14. Cranks and cranks and sputters occasionally, while it's struggling you can hear the TCL (I'm guessing) going berserk for a couple seconds

Any ideas of where to start are very, very welcomed

Confused
04-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Either find someone local, or get yourself a copy of EvoScan (http://www.evoscan.com), and a cheap VAG-COM KKL cable - like this one (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/meters-testers/auction-1114533255.htm)

It's a VERY cheap piece of diagnostic equipment, that any VR-4 owner should have, as it can save hours of troubleshooting by being able to just see what the ECU sees.

My guess (I had something similar) that your TPS is not reading correctly. You should be getting around 12% with no throttle, and around 96% at full throttle, and you should see the value change smoothly as you move the pedal.

I picked up a new TPS from Ebay for about £25, and it's been perfect since. But, I only did that once I'd confirmed with EvoScan that the values it was giving were incorrect, and that the wiring was in tact between the TPS and ECU.

Davezj
04-07-2016, 01:19 PM
good advice there garry. i would suggest mark follows it.
Knowing what the issue is makes fixing it so much easier.

ako
04-07-2016, 11:49 PM
Fixed it by exchanging it for another at the wreckers for $10. Daft car

Davezj
05-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Fixed it by exchanging it for another at the wreckers for $10. Daft car

Glad to hear you got it working.

Have you set it up correctly?

There is a reason why it has slotted holes to mount it.