PDA

View Full Version : Getting the cam cover off

Grid
09-07-2016, 03:53 PM
My rear cam cover is leaking. I have the gasket set, but it just refuses to budge. I've removed 7 bolts + center bolt + 1 bolt that just sticks out but does not come out all the way. Heard they are easy to crack, so I tried hitting it with a rubber mallet, prying gently but it's like glued. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Louis
09-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Try using a Stanley knife through the gasket. It could be that someone has used silicone sealant on it and the old gasket.
But cutting one side and prising it open would let you see if you have a missed bolt etc.

Grid
09-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Cheers Luis, might just try that since I am replacing the gasket anyway

Grid
10-07-2016, 09:00 AM
The cam cover gasket should be installed dry right? I'm thinking otherwise the beads of sealer to be applied in corners won't stick

swinks
10-07-2016, 10:23 AM
The cam cover gasket should be installed dry right? I'm thinking otherwise the beads of sealer to be applied in corners won't stick
Yes.
I used to apply very very thin layer of sealant on heads side, to make it sticky, and put dry gasket in groove on cover side. Important thing is to tighten with manufacturer recommended torque.

Grid
10-07-2016, 08:23 PM
Yes.
I used to apply very very thin layer of sealant on heads side, to make it sticky, and put dry gasket in groove on cover side. Important thing is to tighten with manufacturer recommended torque.

Cheers Tomasz. The manufacturer recommended torque is just 3.4Nm... most "normal" TWs start at 5 or 6Nm.

swinks
10-07-2016, 09:51 PM
I know. I used to torque with lowest setting of my wrench, few Newton's more, but it's done properly :)