PDA

View Full Version : Spare cash

enigma
10-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Somehow I seem to have accumulated a large wedge (£4000) in the last few months (helped on by nearly £2000 of personal injury compensation)

So what do I do?

Intercooler?
Hard Pipes?
Gearbox bullet proofing?
Forged Internals?
Bigger Turbos?

Research in to turbo upgrades for fellow members?
Research in to any upgrades that I can make for fellow members?

Spend it on VX?

Spend it on Baby?

SGHOM
10-03-2005, 10:26 AM
If your job sucks as much as you say, I'd save it for a rainy day ! /yes or spend it on baby BDA .

zentac
10-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Im currently bigging on fleabay for some GT15 and GT17 turbos, was thinking GT15 front, GT17 back so you get that nice gently kick at low end and a little more at the high end.

But I I were you I would go forged internals...

Nick Mann
10-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Rainy day fund jar. The one on the top shelf!

Have you started playing with the e-manage yet? I'd get that wired in to the PC and the exhaust sensor sorted. I think you could end up with big gains if you get that all working well. And it shouldn't cost much of the money! Maybe the info will help you decide whether you should be looking at injectors, turbos or internals first?

And set a date for the next VX meet.

Physician
10-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Dilemmas ...........

1) Buy wife flowers/cocs/meal out/whatever she likes - £100

2) Put money aside for baby (you WILL need it) - £2,500

3) Toys for car - £1,400

Or thereabouts. Now everyone is happy and you are seen to be a responsible Dad! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Ooops! Item 1) above should read 'chocs' - but left it as rather an amusing faux pas.

caishanvr4
10-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Put £3 grand in savings for a rainy day I.E Baby,wife
The rest on making more cat pipes, exhaust, and anything that can help the members performance wise but also a steady income for yourself :thumbsup:

enigma
10-03-2005, 01:18 PM
I am tending to favour the investment in to items I can then replicate and pass on to members.......a kind of kick start to a business venture.

There must be 50 people that will buy downpipes at £250
20 that still need decats at £55
and a handfull that would do turbos at £1000
some that would have intercoolers and piping at £500

there must be some profit in there somewhere!

Once the VR4 community start spreading the word I think the FTOs and EVOs would follow.

Nick Mann
10-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Downpipes, cat, but how about a cat-back? Could you design a system with good flow and quiet characteristics? I'd be interested in one of those, and I guess by changing the mufflers about you could keep most people happy.

BDA Fabrications Ltd. Worth registering the domain name?!

I-S
10-03-2005, 02:17 PM
I'd say go with a combination of rainy day/baby fund and getting some prototypes for a business venture together in case work does go tits up.

caishanvr4
10-03-2005, 02:24 PM
AS you know already BDA the fastest turnover cash wise is your CAT PIPES which you wouldn't encounter any problems finding 20 new owners :smug:
Me included of course. /yes
Any profit made from that can be put towards your next venture.
Is there anyone out there who has a large legal ware house with all the machinery and space to allow BDA to build his required performance parts...
RENT FREE OF COURSE :deal2:

enigma
10-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Profit margins are very small (believe it or not) on the de cats, but it beats work hands down!

My double garage is big enough and houses most of the required tools for the items that I would consider making. The only trouble is its not very tidy and I spend most of my time in there climbing over crap that I have previously discarded!

Maybe I should gauge real interest in performance parts and what parts people require............

Physician
10-03-2005, 03:02 PM
I am tending to favour the investment in to items I can then replicate and pass on to members.......a kind of kick start to a business venture.

There must be 50 people that will buy downpipes at £250
20 that still need decats at £55
and a handfull that would do turbos at £1000
some that would have intercoolers and piping at £500

there must be some profit in there somewhere!

Once the VR4 community start spreading the word I think the FTOs and EVOs would follow.

Well, if you are seriously considering a business venture you need to start formulating a business plan.

The Galant market, and in particular the VR4 market, is very limited and you won't survive on this work alone. Getting into Evo's and dare I say Scooby's you would have a large market of drivers who want, and have the ability to pay for, bespoke parts.

Like Nick, I'd place an order now for a stainless steel cat back system. I might even be interested in providing seed money dependent on your needs/plans.

paulmc
10-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Top 4 for me,

That way you are kind of doing research for other members at the same time.

Can you not put up a poll type post including all what you may be able to offer in terms of parts and let us all tick the boxes. hopefully that will give you a starting point.

I want a front pipe by the way :thumbsup:

or you could give me the 4k and I will research things for you :thumbsup: /yes

Paul

SGHOM
10-03-2005, 05:08 PM
The only trouble is its not very tidy and I spend most of my time in there climbing over crap that I have previously discarded!

your garage ?? untidy ?? NAH !! :embarasse

Anyone fancy kick starting BDA fabrications plc ??
hire a skip, put a few man hours in, tie Dave to a lamppost so he cant stop us !! /yes I'm sure Helen would appreciate it ! ...err, clearing the garage, not tieing Dave up !! /grr

enigma
10-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Dear Interlec,
we had a skip for the above mentioned purpose but "somebody" filled it with our bathroom :rolleyes4
Regards
Mrs BDA

Kieran
10-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I'd chip into the 'Tidy BDA's garage coz he's a messy bugger' fund.... /yes

Nick Mann
10-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Hey - I'd help empty BDA'a garage. The only problem is it'd take me weeks, because every time I picked something up I would either wonder what it was, play with it and/or wonder if I could have it rather than throw it away!

:rolleyes4

enigma
10-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Hey - I'd help empty BDA'a garage. The only problem is it'd take me weeks, because every time I picked something up I would either wonder what it was, play with it and/or wonder if I could have it rather than throw it away!

:rolleyes4

PMSL!

Strange really, I seem to have the same dilemma!

psbarham
10-03-2005, 11:06 PM
PMSL!

Strange really, I seem to have the same dilemma!
oh good i was begining to wonder if it was just me that had this problem :thumbsup:

RED
11-03-2005, 12:17 AM
I'm usually quite tight when it comes to money but.....

Babies/children are expensive but you tend not to notice the money going out to quickly

If you really think you can make a go of it and you are really pi$$ed off at work then use the money to go for it. Things will crop up and you will deal with them - I didn't expect to take over Autotechnics planning to spend 24/7 working at it and then after 4 weeks finding out I was pregnant. It's a struggle, we work til 8pm most nights and weekends, half the time we don't have a pot to pi$$ in but we wouldn't have it any other way and at the end of the day if it all goes t*ts up then at least I can look back at it and say I gave it my best shot and had a crack at it and not wonder what if /yes

On a foot note if you decide to do it please may I have a downpipe :thumbsup: thankyou very muchly /yes

KiwiTT
11-03-2005, 12:26 AM
An old adage is save a dollar spend a dollar, so put 2000 aside for that rainy day (it will happen) and 2000 to play with.

The kids, well you'll always have money for them.

enigma
12-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Well spending money is easy! We have been baby shopping today, been to Mothercare and Toys R Us looking at cots and cribs and high chairs and car seat base and clothes and and and! Spent an absolute fortune!!!!

:evil2:

Spirit
12-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Ahhhhh......a wise choice......GT4 :thumbsup: Just ordered my copy tonight too !

AllBeItMine
12-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Well spending money is easy! We have been baby shopping today, been to Mothercare and Toys R Us looking at cots and cribs and high chairs and car seat base and clothes and and and! Spent an absolute fortune!!!!

:evil2:

you bastard!

Axeboy
13-03-2005, 01:58 AM
I just bought a ps2 with gt4 and steering wheel..

Not played it much... but i have a 1990 Vr4.. not seen any later vr4's yet.

Big Ian
13-03-2005, 03:16 AM
Dave use your Heart for the answer....... /yes i'm sure you'll do wise no matter what route you take.
(your one of life's "genuine folk":smug:)

enigma
13-03-2005, 08:59 AM
I just bought a ps2 with gt4 and steering wheel..

Not played it much... but i have a 1990 Vr4.. not seen any later vr4's yet.

PS2, Wireless Steering wheel, GT4, FIFA 2004, Metal Gear Solid 3 - £149.99

Bargain!! :smug:

Axeboy
13-03-2005, 01:32 PM
PS2, Wireless Steering wheel, GT4, FIFA 2004, Metal Gear Solid 3 - £149.99

Bargain!! :smug:

PS2, Wheel and Pedals, Spare Pad, Driver 3 & True Crime for £142.

I bought gt4 seperate.

Argos are great these days... they sell the PS2 with Wheel/Pedals plus GT4 for £130.

Smokinmasta2
14-03-2005, 05:37 PM
I had 3 years with my own business and say it was really rewarding................however, don't really think i could do it again unless it was on a smaller scale - did a few bits and bobs on eBay and made some nice extra cash.
Think small scale is always the way to start and bide you time until you are ready to make the leap into making your living !!!!
One fella said 'save a dollar, spend a dollar', this is exactly the right way to look at things.

I too am having a cr*p time at work but have said to the General Manager that i am not taking anything home with me end of story..........you can't do with this with your own money mind- work ALL THE TIME. This was a major factor in my second divorce................. :) :) :embarasse :embarasse
Take you own choice m8 and i'm sure a lot of peeps will back you from the glowing reports everyone has for you.

Anyway.....................cat back systems how much ??? :) :) ;) ;)

Smokin............