PDA

View Full Version : Virtual dynoing - send me your log and I will make a dyno plot!

lateshow
06-08-2016, 08:30 PM
I've been watching the global scene of dynoing of our cars and I suspect that there are great differences even in the measured whp numbers due to different kind of dynos. However there are some other ways to estimate power levels. Injector Duty Cycle measurement (when fuel pressure is known and AFR is optimal this may tell you about power leves), Ecuload can also help to measure the air flow itself.

I have been using this software called Dynovision. It reads evoscan logs.

What is needed for a virtual dyno estimate:
- a datalog with full throttle, with 3rd or 4th gear, starting from 2000 rpm pedal to the floor and ending as the revs hit the limiter (about 7500 rpm)
- at least engine rpm and TPS have to be logged
-also id recommend to log 2byte ecuload, timing advance, AFR or boost if available, intake air temperature, injector duty cycle
- the run has to be made on a straight road, no cornering, no up or downhills

Instructions:
1. See that you have these items selected for datalogging: RPM (standard or 2byte), ecuload (2byte with right scaling, timing advance, boost (is available), AFR (if available), intake air temperature (from MAF), Injector duty cyle and all the required other stuff.
2. Find a good place to make the test run. Watch for the police and remember other safety stuff.
3. Get ready and start the datalog with about 40 kph at 3rd gear.
4. Full boost. Pedal to the metal. Lift your foot when you hit the rev limiter or just a little before. Normally around 140 kph with a manual car.
5. Stop the datalog. Done.
6. Gather the following info: Car type (sedan, estate, FL PFL, accessories, needed for weight), Tyre info (eg. 225/45/17), weather info (Temp, is the road wet), transmission info (manual, auto, any special gearing?)
7. Send me the datalog and the info.

Getting this kind of data from you guys interests me greatly and this kind of comparing and investigation would benefit us all. For instance good guidelines for what what maf would read for an ecu load and what are the standard injectors good for. I can estimate engine power since we have pretty good guess that driviline loses about 22% of power.

For instance my car was dynoed for 456 hp / 570 Nm with dyno dynamics dyno. This method tells that I have 451hp/575Nm....can't really say that this is the truth but this method puts our vr4s to the same line. In the same picture is a dyno plot of a vr4 with standard boost, E85 and a rainy day. It was also two of us in the car and an ayc but this has all been taken into account. Blue line is ecuload for that pull.

I will post the same thread on Ozvr4 for attention from the AUS/NZ

Please send me a private message or just post info here and send me your datalog to my mail address yli-rosti (@) hotmail.com . Tell me all there is to know about your car. I replaced the @ with _(@)_ to distract mail bots.

Generally if the results are **** I atleast get good basic info about Injector duty cycles and ecuload levels. Remember that driving downhill is cheating :D

adaxo
06-08-2016, 10:18 PM
Will do it asap, but if i remember right, newest version of evoscan is not happy to log 2byte Davezj you know what im talking about?

elnevio
07-08-2016, 12:57 AM
Obviously be careful with this method, and that you are on your private test track (or maybe the autobahn!), as in an auto, you will be hitting around 100 mph at the limiter in 3rd, and about 140 in 4th. Stock manual will be lower but will still be shifting somewhat

Davezj
07-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Yes 2byteAirFlow (MAF).
But there is a fix for it.

2byteLoad and 2byteRPM work fine with evoscan

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

Piers1989
07-08-2016, 05:34 PM
I've just started using EvoScan and ECUFlash,

I'll get some logs up here out of interest.

Marginally off topic, I have 2ByteLoad enabled on Kenneths 1.03 rom but I cant get ECULoad OR 2bytelaod to go over 160 but they do get there - I changed the scaling initially based on something Foxdie said in the 1.03 thread but it made it read way low so put it back.
Any ideas?

lateshow
07-08-2016, 07:57 PM
I've just started using EvoScan and ECUFlash,

I'll get some logs up here out of interest.

Marginally off topic, I have 2ByteLoad enabled on Kenneths 1.03 rom but I cant get ECULoad OR 2bytelaod to go over 160 but they do get there - I changed the scaling initially based on something Foxdie said in the 1.03 thread but it made it read way low so put it back.
Any ideas?

Post a screenshot of your roms MUT table and a picture of your evoscan settings regarding 2byte load.

Piers1989
07-08-2016, 11:50 PM
Here you go :)

lateshow
08-08-2016, 08:16 PM
cHnge the function from 0.3125x to 0.2326x....see if that helps? and log considerably less items at the same time

Piers1989
09-08-2016, 09:43 AM
cHnge the function from 0.3125x to 0.2326x....see if that helps? and log considerably less items at the same time

I'll give it a go and see what happens. I think it shows the load as about 70% of the true reading with that formula though.

I assumed it is sent all the information anyway? I take it that isn't the case and the more things I log the longer each "set" of readings take?

I'll reduce it to just things I actual care about.

lateshow
09-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Ecuload clips at 160 because it has only the first byte ( in hex we have 255 different values for load).

Load2Byte uses two addresses and can express the load over 160. Ecuload and 2byte load readings should match before the actual load reaches 160.