PDA

View Full Version : Group buy - Bargain Carbon Fibre evo VI Bonnet

firefly
10-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi everyone :thumbsup:

I've been talking to a chap in america who sells carbon fibre evo VI vented bonnets for mitsubishi galants about importing costs to the UK.

Heres an example of a bonnet from his ebay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7958558434

As you can see this bonnet should fit all 8g galants - maybe with a little modification needed on the 1997/8 models as usual.

With the great exchange rate against the dollar at the moment this puts the price of a bonnet at a fantastic £146!!!!

As for shipping I have been quoted at circa £70!!!

I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in this amazing deal as I've been told that shipping costs will be greatly reduced if shared!

So let me know if you're interested anyone - It's a fantastic price for a carbon fibre bonnet with evo vents.

So don't miss out!!!

caishanvr4
10-03-2005, 10:01 PM
MMM:thinking2
95% yes

adam_shaw
10-03-2005, 11:33 PM
I wonder.... can the CF be painted then, the whole Carbon thing is a bit lairey for me, but a new bonnet would be nice.

A

RED
10-03-2005, 11:55 PM
I wonder.... can the CF be painted then, the whole Carbon thing is a bit lairey for me, but a new bonnet would be nice.

A

Yes you can paint them /yes Does that make the decision easier or harder :rolleyes4

Wodjno
11-03-2005, 12:08 AM

I've been talking to a chap in america who sells carbon fibre evo VI vented bonnets for mitsubishi galants about importing costs to the UK.

As you can see this bonnet should fit all 8g galants - maybe with a little modification needed on the 1997/8 models as usual.

With the great exchange rate against the dollar at the moment this puts the price of a bonnet at a fantastic £146!!!!

I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in this amazing deal as I've been told that shipping costs will be greatly reduced if shared!

So let me know if you're interested anyone - It's a fantastic price for a carbon fibre bonnet with evo vents.

So don't miss out!!!

Would more peeps be interested if they could get them for £182 inc of shipping ? :rolleyes4

ritch_w
11-03-2005, 12:13 AM
mmmm carbon bonnet on a white vr4.... /yes

noo noo noo :-policema put the beer down and step away from the laptop!!
:-policema you have bought enough crap off e-bay tonight

Wodjno
11-03-2005, 12:16 AM
mmmm carbon bonnet on a white vr4.... /yes

noo noo noo :-policema put the beer down and step away from the laptop!!
:-policema you have bought enough crap off e-bay tonight
Is that a YES then Ritch ?? :inquisiti

paulmc
11-03-2005, 12:28 AM
£182 inc shipping now that is tempting

adam_shaw
11-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Yes you can paint them /yes Does that make the decision easier or harder :rolleyes4

Would more peeps be interested if they could get them for £182 inc of shipping ?

That would make a YES (thats a big yes :happy: ) then....

Let me know when we're ready to rock, and I'm 99% certain I'll have one (acts of God or GF not withstanding)

A

enigma
11-03-2005, 10:13 AM
I'll have one if it comes in at under £200........not for me you understand! But for project VX!

NevGroom
11-03-2005, 11:51 AM
I'll be up for one too

Dan_G
11-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Yes please... I'd be liking one of those .......... /yes

firefly
11-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Well thats not too bad a response so far. :thumbsup:

If five to ten people could give me a provisional yes then I can get back to my chap and get an overall price including shipping.

I'm definately interested as my bonnet is covered in stone chips and has a dink in the lines - it looks awful really.

Go on - you know you want to!!!

Its a Bargain!!!!!!

adam_shaw
11-03-2005, 12:45 PM
We may already have five,

Your good self,
Me
DanG
NevGroom
BDA?

A

caishanvr4
11-03-2005, 12:49 PM
My 95% has just gone up to 100%. :pimp2:
Yes i will have one of those /yes

enigma
11-03-2005, 12:57 PM
If the price is right I will have 2.......... ;)

One for VX, and one for developmental purposes!

Marcel
11-03-2005, 02:04 PM
if somebody is willing to post it from UK to Estonia.

Who do we have to pay it?
Can i get an invoice for it?

Markel

Smokinmasta2
11-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Yes depending on funds nearer the time.............

Dont forget import duty and vat on top of the total.............
Hardly call a load CF bonnets gifts can you :) :) ;)

Smokin..................

firefly
11-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Dont forget import duty and vat on top of the total.............

The circa £70 pounds shipping fee is inclusive of import duty and vat - so it's even more of a bargain!!!!!

Smokinmasta2
11-03-2005, 10:24 PM
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :happy: :happy: :happy:

HELL.......................hope this is not one of them too good to be true things!!!!

..................just about to sell some of my kids on eBay !!!!1

Smokin....................

Smokinmasta2
11-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Well thats not too bad a response so far. :thumbsup:

If five to ten people could give me a provisional yes then I can get back to my chap and get an overall price including shipping.

I'm definately interested as my bonnet is covered in stone chips and has a dink in the lines - it looks awful really.

Go on - you know you want to!!!

Its a Bargain!!!!!!

LOL - that's really going cheese your other half off, after his misdemeanour in the snow last week............has he had a quote for the damage yet??
Or is he just going to get the body kit put on early??

Smokin................

The Vee
11-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Yes I want one NOW !!!

Wodjno
11-03-2005, 11:13 PM
I think thats your 10 you were looking for Firefly .. Including myself that is and if DAVES havin 2 .. !

Physician
12-03-2005, 12:47 AM
OK me too if RED can paint it silver for me???? How much RED?

Thanks

Richard

SGHOM
12-03-2005, 01:09 AM
How much RED?

Thanks

Richard
about half a litre should cover it Rich !! /yes :embarasse :embarasse

RED
12-03-2005, 01:45 AM
OK me too if RED can paint it silver for me???? How much RED?

Thanks

Richard

Give Marcus a bell at work on Monday /yes :thumbsup:

p1_
12-03-2005, 03:39 AM

So don't miss out!!!

Sounds awesome - does he ship to NZ do you know - I'm sure that a few members will up for it here - especially at that price :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bal
12-03-2005, 10:06 AM
put me down for one

firefly
12-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Well it looks like we are all gonna have matching carbon fibre bonnets!!!

I getting back to my chap now and asking how much it would be for ten bonnets. I'll let you know but keep adding your names to the list if you're interested - obviously thre more the merrier!!!

I would recommend that you new zealand chaps contact jaspen@aero-dynamic.biz in america, the guy i'm dealing with only sorts out uk imports.

SMOKIN MASTA SAID:
LOL - that's really going cheese your other half off, after his misdemeanour in the snow last week............has he had a quote for the damage yet??
Or is he just going to get the body kit put on early??

The boyfriend is forcing me to buy this bonnet as it's sooo cheap!!!
Re. his damage he is torn between repairing his bumper but the existing respray on it's really thick in places, buying another used one but postage is problematic or selling his top mix front lip and buying a HKS Kansai bumper which he has seen on ebay. Dilemas, dilemas, dilemas.....!!!! :rolleyes4

marsh
12-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Hmmmmm..............not sure that black on purple would work.

How much are we looking at all in?, even I could be tempted to make my Legnum look as mean as it goes. What would I have to do to get it to fit my 97 VR4?

Wodjno
12-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Hmmmmm..............not sure that black on purple would work.

How much are we looking at all in?, even I could be tempted to make my Legnum look as mean as it goes. What would I have to do to get it to fit my 97 VR4?

At the Mo , where looking at around the £185 mark .. maybe less . !!

Wodjno
12-03-2005, 08:05 PM
The list so far then ..

1. firefly
2. CaishanVR4
3. adam_shaw
4. bigdaveakers x2 ( if price is right )
5. NevGroom
6. Dan_G
7. Marcel (dependent on shipping price to Estonia )
8. The Vee
9. WODJNO
10. Physician
11. Bal

Total so far = 12 ..

Anymore for anymore ??

marsh
12-03-2005, 08:08 PM
I'm 95%.........still bothered about what mods I'll have to make to get it to fit. :inquisiti

Wodjno
12-03-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm 95%.........still bothered about what mods I'll have to make to get it to fit. :inquisiti

Not to sure .. I'm gotta find that out to .. but havin 1 anyway .. I'm sure there will be a kind member on here with the knowledge and expertise to assist us :thumbsup:

caishanvr4
12-03-2005, 08:23 PM
what:huh2:, Carbon fibre bonnet's gonna look the DOGS danglies on a purple VR4. I have one myself and cant wait to get it on ;) .

marsh
12-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Go on then, put me down for one. I know a bloke at a bodyshop and I'm certain he'll assist.

Smokinmasta2
12-03-2005, 09:17 PM
1. firefly
2. CaishanVR4
3. adam_shaw
5. NevGroom
6. Dan_G
8. The Vee
9. WODJNO
10. Physician
11. Bal
12. Smokinmasta - even if i have to sell the children!!

Smokin..............

bernmc
12-03-2005, 09:20 PM
mmm.. 185 would be around 240 with import and VAT. Tempting.... but I need seats and brakes :(

Wodjno
12-03-2005, 09:22 PM
mmm.. 185 would be around 240 with import and VAT. Tempting.... but I need seats and brakes :(

the £185 as far as i knows is all in !

wirdy
12-03-2005, 09:58 PM
More buying power...I'd like one at that price. :thumbsup:

1. firefly
2. CaishanVR4
3. adam_shaw
5. NevGroom
6. Dan_G
8. The Vee
9. WODJNO
10. Physician
11. Bal
13. Wirdy

Wodjno
12-03-2005, 10:01 PM
List so far ..

1. firefly
2. CaishanVR4
3. adam_shaw
5. NevGroom
6. Dan_G
8. The Vee
9. WODJNO
10. Physician
11. Bal
13. marsh
14. Wirdy

Total 15 :rolleyes4

bernmc
13-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Don't know how keen you are for numbers, but if you posted a link to this thread over at MLR (http://www.lancerregister.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=42), I'm sure you'll get a dozen more...

Axeboy
13-03-2005, 02:51 AM
I know this is a group buy..

But myabe someone should get 1 and try it for fitment 1st before you order so many.

Im only saying this as i checked the feedback of the guy at ebay, and whileits good... the one negative i looked at was a Galant bonnet that didnt fit..

Who knows...

Big Ian
13-03-2005, 03:01 AM

But myabe someone should get 1 and try it for fitment 1st before you order so many.

Im only saying this as i checked the feedback of the guy at ebay, and whileits good... the one negative i looked at was a Galant bonnet that didnt fit..

Who knows...

if this check's out i'd consider one? (only a maybe as i may build my own "vented bonnet")

Axeboy
13-03-2005, 03:03 AM
Id have one if it was non Evo stylie..

Weight saving would be nice, but keep the sleeper look.

p1_
13-03-2005, 05:10 AM
Page 4 of this thread just went missing???

Wodjno
13-03-2005, 12:13 PM

Who knows...

This is a good point .. But i'm sure if they won't fit there will be plenty of takers on the MLR site to take them off our hands .. :inquisiti

enigma
13-03-2005, 02:36 PM
This is a good point .. But i'm sure if they won't fit there will be plenty of takers on the MLR site to take them off our hands .. :inquisiti

Why would the MLR want Galant bonnets??

They are surely Galant bonnets with EVO style vents so if they dont fit our cars they sure as hell wont fit EVOs!

Wodjno
13-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Why would the MLR want Galant bonnets??

They are surely Galant bonnets with EVO style vents so if they dont fit our cars they sure as hell wont fit EVOs!
Don't see why they shouldn't .. /yes
Cos i've a Stanley Knife and a Hacksaw that says they will fit .. :leer: ;)

enigma
13-03-2005, 03:35 PM
I seem to remember there being a difference between JDM and US Galants in terms of wings and bonnet..........Perhaps Kieran can shed some light? :rolleyes4

Wodjno
13-03-2005, 03:52 PM
I seem to remember there being a difference between JDM and US Galants in terms of wings and bonnet..........Perhaps Kieran can shed some light? :rolleyes4

Hopefuly he will .. And hopefully it's not to much bashing around to get them to fit :smash:

Just waiting for firefly to comeback with the quote .. Fingers crossed that it's good news .. :drummer: :thumbsup:

firefly
13-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Don't worry everyone - i'm a woman, I think of everything!!! :rolleyes4

I talked to the seller in america to check that it fits UK 8g galants - he wasn't sure what I meant but sent a picture of an Uk ebay auction of a mitsubishi galant - this one; :drummer: :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18230&item=4535203556&rd=1

He said if this is UK 8g galant then these bonnets will fit!!

Horray!!!2thumbsup

I can check out if it fits japanese models if you wish - just pm me if you have an import and I get on to my guy.

The original listing suggested professional fitment but for those who think they can fit it it's worth a go - can't be too difficult. The boyf gonna try fit mine.

I'm not sure that the bonnet will fit anything other than galants as it was listed as a galant bonnet with evo VI vents. I don't think it'll fit a lancer.

The list is building nicely now - hopefully tomorrow I'll have a quote for ten bonnets, I'll let you know!!

Bye bye everybody!!! /wave

SGHOM
13-03-2005, 08:24 PM

dont go just yet !! :embarasse I want one !!

Just when my bottomless pit of money reached rock bottom, :embarasse [ & below ] you come up with another temptation !!

Add moi to the list pretty please ! :thumbsup:

Dan_G
13-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Just when my bottomless pit of money reached rock bottom, :embarasse [ & below ] you come up with another temptation !!

I know what you mean.... :rolleyes4 ...... gulp!

Big Ian
13-03-2005, 10:06 PM
also
did'nt Mo (Zedy) have a few prob's with the kit he fitted that was from America?..(not sure though if it were the bonnet or the bumper :rolleyes4 )

p1_
14-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Don't worry everyone - i'm a woman, I think of everything!!! :rolleyes4

I talked to the seller in america to check that it fits UK 8g galants - he wasn't sure what I meant but sent a picture of an Uk ebay auction of a mitsubishi galant - this one; :drummer: :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18230&item=4535203556&rd=1

He said if this is UK 8g galant then these bonnets will fit!!

Horray!!!2thumbsup

I can check out if it fits japanese models if you wish - just pm me if you have an import and I get on to my guy.

The original listing suggested professional fitment but for those who think they can fit it it's worth a go - can't be too difficult. The boyf gonna try fit mine.

I'm not sure that the bonnet will fit anything other than galants as it was listed as a galant bonnet with evo VI vents. I don't think it'll fit a lancer.

The list is building nicely now - hopefully tomorrow I'll have a quote for ten bonnets, I'll let you know!!

i'm sure that you put up the guys email address on the forum so us peeps down in NZ could maybe set up a similar deal - please could you re-post it for me?

ta

_simon_
14-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Heres the email posted on page 2 of the thread - jaspen@aero-dynamic.biz
I'd be interested in getting one a little later in the year, very broke at the moment.
Hmm, why are the pics copyright to a company called Taiwan-Pro Auto Parts Company, if it supposed to be in the US?

_simon_
14-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Oh, I think I see now. The seller is in the US but the manufacturer is in Asia. Which is closer to NZ (my geography is crap) might be able to get cheap P&P from straight from the manufacturer

The Vee
15-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Any news on this?

Smokinmasta2
15-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Any news on this?

:o :o :shocked: :shocked:

Christ fella, give her a chance..............you know these sorts of things can take months sometimes!!! LOL LOL
;) ;) ;)

Smokin................

firefly
15-03-2005, 07:40 PM
I've asked for quote for 15 bonnets at present and am awaiting a response which shouldn't be too long based on past performance.

I'll hassle him again if I don't hear anything by tomorrow and maybe ask for a quote for twenty as interest is till high.

So, do I get free membership if this all goes off??!!!! :deal2: :laugh: :D

Louis
15-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Hi there,
I've been away for a few days and missed all this, if it's not too late I am also interested in one of these bonnets, please put me down for one and let me know how to pay etc, will the bonnet be posted directly to me or will they all arrive in the one central location?, anthow I would like one of these, ta, cheers Louis

Wodjno
15-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Hi there,
I've been away for a few days and missed all this, if it's not too late I am also interested in one of these bonnets, please put me down for one and let me know how to pay etc, will the bonnet be posted directly to me or will they all arrive in the one central location?, anthow I would like one of these, ta, cheers Louis

All the bonnets will arrive at the UK distributers in London .. Then will have to be collected and distrubuted to Members .. How and where from i'm not sure somewhere centrally maybe .. Some will obviously be able to collect and some will have to arrange courier .. :inquisiti
But first we have to place the order :happy: :thumbsup:

ThEbIrDmAn13
15-03-2005, 11:29 PM
i don't mean to ruin your hopes, i wish you well in your purchases...as i am in the US and am wondering where exactly are you getting these hoods from? There is NO aftermarlet hood made for the US galant, they are all JDM and actually take modification to fit our cars, as for the price... they come from Japan and they cost at least $500US to import to the USA... I have one...I know PM me with the contact info and I will let you all know if this is a legitimate seller or not... honestly, I really don't want to see any of you getting your hard earned money stolen by someone in the US because it will be really easy to do that with international purchases...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/550000-550999/550018_46_full.jpg
i always remember the old saying: "if it's too good to be true, than it probably is" but if it isn't, i want this person's phone # because i could make ALOT of $$ here in the states too

p1_
15-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Good call that man - always best to check it out first :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Slimshady
16-03-2005, 01:39 AM
If its less than £150 inc VAT, DEL + other hidden charges - then count me in - please order on my behalf and let me know where and who to send the payment.

Count me in :thumbsup:

Slim :evil2:

firefly
16-03-2005, 07:49 PM
i don't mean to ruin your hopes, i wish you well in your purchases...as i am in the US and am wondering where exactly are you getting these hoods from? There is NO aftermarlet hood made for the US galant, they are all JDM and actually take modification to fit our cars, as for the price... they come from Japan and they cost at least $500US to import to the USA... I have one...I know PM me with the contact info and I will let you all know if this is a legitimate seller or not... honestly, I really don't want to see any of you getting your hard earned money stolen by someone in the US because it will be really easy to do that with international purchases...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/550000-550999/550018_46_full.jpg
i always remember the old saying: "if it's too good to be true, than it probably is" but if it isn't, i want this person's phone # because i could make ALOT of $$ here in the states too

Well, all the contact information for the chaps involved in mentioned in this thread. The seller was found through ebay and says that his company is actually a fibre glass, carbon fibre and ABS boykit manufacturer in Asia who sells to europe and the US.
I've spoken to jaspen ( the contact from the auction) in the US (who's e.mail is featured in the thread) and he reassured me that the bonnets would fit 8G UK galants - this is in the thread too.

The guy I'm talking to in the UK imports for the company and WODJNO has tried to organise a deal with him in the past so I think they are legitimate but let us all know if you think otherwise.

When I found this bonnet on ebay there were similar bonnets at around $450 without shipping including - which is why I knew this one was such a deal - especially when I found out shipping was so cheap too.
The rest is history!

marsh
16-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Just out of interest, why would one not fit a Jap Galant/Legnum if it fits a UK car? :inquisiti

ThEbIrDmAn13
16-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Just out of interest, why would one not fit a Jap Galant/Legnum if it fits a UK car? :inquisiti

your euro spec are the same as the JDM versions, it is our USDM versions that are different...there will be no modding to make them fit your vehicles...also, it may be true if they are not real VIS products, who made the original mold, but i will tell you that they are not good quality. the only reliable brand is VIS. I knew some people that bought these hoods from that particular place and they took 4 months to come and when they put them on, it was poorly made and ended up cracking within 2 weeks. thus, why they are so cheap. I say if you want it that bad, get the good stuff and get a VIS. but it's your decision. just trying to help :thumbsup:

Wodjno
17-03-2005, 12:14 AM
[QUOTE=ThEbIrDmAn13]your euro spec are the same as the JDM versions, it is our USDM versions that are different...there will be no modding to make them fit your vehicles...also, it may be true if they are not real VIS products, who made the original mold, but i will tell you that they are not good quality. the only reliable brand is VIS. I knew some people that bought these hoods from that particular place and they took 4 months to come and when they put them on, it was poorly made and ended up cracking within 2 weeks. thus, why they are so cheap. I say if you want it that bad, get the good stuff and get a VIS. but it's your decision. just trying to help :

Right here goes ,starting with the above ..

What are peoples thoughts on what has been quoted by ThEbIrDmAn13 .
We need to be have an overall agreement on whether these are going to be Top Dollar goods or if they are Shoddy as ThEbIrDmAn13 is saying ??

Anyway the reason for getting this sorted,is that i have been speaking to firefly re the quote that she has been waiting for ,but she has not had no answer.. I have contacted the Jaspen myself for quotes first for 10 bonnets which was for $3500 all in shipped to his London distributor..(thats inc shipping,import tax and vat)..

But then having seen the interest in these bonnets then asked to re-quote for 20 bonnets , which came in at $6000 all in (approx £156 per bonnet)

Firefly is happy to go with this quote instead of waiting for her reply , and if we are all in agreement then we will get the ball rolling ..( thanks to firefly for initiating this thread in the first place )

We will be required to stump up 50% (£78)as a down payment before they will put them in the container to be shipped to the UK .. There is a container leaving for the UK this week ..

Obviously if people are concerned about the quality of the product then we will not rush into things and maybe wait for a later delivery if we can resolve the quality issue ..

Maybe i can talk to Jaspen if you are concerned and maybe see if he can ship 1 bonnet over in good faith so as we can check the quality of the product before we buy ? Maybe there is already some stock over here in the UK , but i will have to ring his UK distributor to confirm this ..

Anyway enuff waffle .. i need your thoughts on this urgently and also i need a definite total of the members who wish to purchase the bonnet ..

Cheers
WODJNO

Physician
17-03-2005, 12:34 AM
I must say I'm slightly nervous about this now although the website etc does seem genuine.

I agree with WOJ that ONE needs to be imported initially to check quality and configuration as well as use for, say, a fortnight to ensure it doesn't start cracking etc from heat or whatever. (I had this issue many years ago with an E Type fibreglass bonnet).

It may be that the ONE has to be purchased at full price (depends on negotiation) but if this IS the case the supplier could agree to a rebate once the bonnet has been verified and we place the full order for 10 or 20 or whatever.

Richard

Smokinmasta2
17-03-2005, 10:38 AM
How do we stand IF something goes wrong? I assume we are at least covered by distance trading law or whatever it's called............
If we have any of the problems quoted, can probs can be sorted by someone here or do we have some recourse (spelling?) with the supplier??

At this price it can't that bad a risk can it???

Smokin...................

The Vee
17-03-2005, 10:59 AM
If he want's 50% up front then surely we have the chance to inspect the product before we pay the rest. appreciate, however, we may not be able to take one away from the distributor and test it. The get one first and try it doesn't seem a bad idea to me. Why don't we all chip in and get one first (less than a tenner each) and then whoever tests it could pay back the costs if it's any good. Otherwise is there any body just willing to take the risk on one? Perhaps 2or 3 of us could try? What do you reckon Wodj?

enigma
17-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Project VX has sufficient funds to buy a single bonnet for inspection purposes. After all that was supposed to be what the project was all about - developing parts that could benefit fellow members. :thumbsup:

The Vee
17-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Project VX has sufficient funds to buy a single bonnet for inspection purposes. After all that was supposed to be what the project was all about - developing parts that could benefit fellow members. :thumbsup:

Not a bad idea - need to give it a road test - firstly as is and then possibly painted or would this be too time consuming?

Bal
17-03-2005, 12:06 PM
i am happy to chip in for a bonnet to test out one. I think this is a good idea cos i dont fancy spending £200 on a bonnet that lasts less than 6 months.

I am happy to pay £10 - £20 for a bonnet and have this donated to the VX project :) (i'd rather lose £10 than £200)

I have been speaking to a friend at work who has big contacts in japan and he has said yes VIS are the ones to go for but just cos someone else is supplying doesnt mean the quality is shoddy. Also someone else on the GT4 Owners Club is offering a similiar setup. i shall find out more and get back to you.

B

golden1663
17-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Hi there,
I've been away for a few days and missed all this, if it's not too late I am also interested in one of these bonnets, please put me down for one and let me know how to pay etc, will the bonnet be posted directly to me or will they all arrive in the one central location?, anthow I would like one of these, ta

Wodjno
17-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Hi all ..

I have contacted Jaspen re quality of bonnets , and asked him for just 1 bonnet .. Have also asked him if there is any of these bonnets already here in the uk that we couldcheck over for quality .. or even purchase ..

Tried to contact his UK distributor , but the mobile number that he quoted was not recognised .. Just waiting for reply , shouldn't be long .. :thumbsup:

Wodjno
17-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Hi all...

As i said in last post i have e-mailed Jaspen Re- Sample of Bonnets for us to Quality check..

The reply was that he has checked with his UK distributor and he has some bonnets in London to checkout ,but they are not Galant bonnets, but they are from the same manufacturing company .. I have UK distributor mobile now so depending on your thoughts maybe we can arrange to look them over .. I am down in London tommorow so should be able to arrange a meeting , but to tell you the truth i ain't quite sure what is good and what is bad .. :embarasse

Your thoughts please

WODJNO

Bal
17-03-2005, 09:57 PM
i will be passing london tomorrow .. could pop in if you let me know where and when. im not overly clued but but have an idea ... anyone else?

Wodjno
17-03-2005, 10:03 PM
i will be passing london tomorrow .. could pop in if you let me know where and when. im not overly clued but but have an idea ... anyone else?

I'll ring him in the Morn and find out where he is exactly .. I'm at Kings Cross til bout 11 then i got about a spare hour .. before i gotta get home for putting together my sons birthday party ..
Does this time match with your passing thru Bal .. ( if so if u could pm me ya Mob No's so we can arrange a meeting ..
Also anyone else ??

ThEbIrDmAn13
17-03-2005, 10:06 PM
you will be looking for the strength of the product, how much it bends...how thick it is, stuff like that...also, you should also look to see if it has a nice thick layer of clear resin above the CF... also, i forgot to add that you WILL need hood pins with the CF hood...the latch is also made from CF an fiberglass and tends to chip away every time you open and close it, so after about 10 times, there is no place to latch... that is why the pins are necessary, they are for your safety... anway, the straightness of the CF pattern is also something to look at, if it is wavy, then it's not as strong. look underneath and make sure that there is good support structure. you could also take some pics and post them up and we can all give you opinions...?? just a thought... and jaspen is a reputable ebay seller that sells mostly smaller JDM parts and i only hear good things about him from other buyers, but the only reason i was skeptical was the company that makes the product. so we shall see, take some pics all around it and i'll give you my opinion.

The Vee
17-03-2005, 10:07 PM
I'll ring him in the Morn and find out where he is exactly .. I'm at Kings Cross til bout 11 then i got about a spare hour .. before i gotta get home for putting together my sons birthday party ..
Does this time match with your passing thru Bal .. ( if so if u could pm me ya Mob No's so we can arrange a meeting ..
Also anyone else ??

Kings Cross !! :thumbsup: Just don't get caught :rolleyes4 :-policema

Wodjno
17-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Kings Cross !! :thumbsup: Just don't get caught :rolleyes4 :-policema

You silly silly silly man .. :joker:

But to tell you the truth ANDY ... /help
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
I wouldn't expect any better from you :thumbsup:

Bal
17-03-2005, 10:20 PM
ahh bugga that aint good for me .. i wont be passing till later in the afternoon. probably about 3pm.

Wodjno
17-03-2005, 10:23 PM
ahh bugga that aint good for me .. i wont be passing till later in the afternoon. probably about 3pm.

Ahhhhh Welllllllll ...

We Tried ..............

But We Failed !!! :rolleyes4

Bal
17-03-2005, 10:46 PM
no no ... you go .. check it out and take photos. pm his number. if i can catch the guy a bit later i will

Wodjno
17-03-2005, 11:33 PM
no no ... you go .. check it out and take photos. pm his number. if i can catch the guy a bit later i will

Sorry Bal .. :d

I mean't failed on a mini meet !! :thumbsup:

Will still go if can be arranged .. Thanx for saying bout Piccys .. Will take camera .. /lol

So is there anyone else out there that might be in vicinity tmora ??

Bal
18-03-2005, 08:37 AM
that's kewl .. i expect to see you at the Ace Cafe on Tues 5th :) unfortuately any pics i take will be with my phone (640x480 though). my digi camera is with my sister ... doh !!

Wodjno
18-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Well here i am down in London all finished for the day, so i thought it was time to arrange meeting with Jaspens UK distributor.. After several attempts to phone him he eventually answered ..
Good news it was the right number this time.. and he had been contacted by Jaspen in advance and was for warned that i would be coming ..

So i asked him where exactly he was , the reply was not what i expected.. It was somewhere in Birmingham .. ?????

I have e-mail from Jaspen saying he was in LOndon .. Anyway seemed like a nice chap..
When i get home i will get his full address by e-mail from him .. And then if there is someone in the Brummy area that could go down and check them out, it would be appreciated ..

Until later.. Bye Bye

firefly
18-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Bugger!! Nothing ever goes quite to plan, eh?!! :rolleyes4

Well thanks for trying anyways - shame it was a waste of time!
hopefully someone outhere can get to birmingham and see the bonnets soon.

If not, then how do we stand for getting a single 'inspection' bonnet from jaspen?

At least we have all the right contact details which should make it easier in the future - i have had no contact since I asked for last quote ( I guess because our mans too busy with his current shipment arrival)

I don't think I can handle much more of this!!! Excitements all too much /help /lol

Bal
18-03-2005, 03:37 PM
b*llox ... like i said im happy to chip in for one.

Wodjno
18-03-2005, 08:28 PM
b*llox ... like i said im happy to chip in for one.

Yes me too .. Think it is probably the way to go .. whats £10 each for piece of mind b4 we shed out our wallets ..
I mean if we did check out these other bonnets it still doesn't guarantee that that the Galant 1's will be .. So if we all agree i'll go ahead and purchase 1 .. and we can sort the dosh out from there ..

The Vee
18-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Fine by me (insert smiley thumbs up!!)

Smokinmasta2
18-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Fine by me - dont mind chipping in.

Smokin..................

adam_shaw
19-03-2005, 09:22 AM
sounds like the best idea. So who's the lucky tester? Firefly I guess for all the effort?

A

marsh
19-03-2005, 11:15 AM
I've got a crisp £10 to chuck in the pot also.

firefly
20-03-2005, 12:34 AM
I'm happy to chip in too. :happy:

If the bonnets gonna turn up in birmingham (I assume) maybe someone local to there could be the tester as they could collect - cut down on any uneccesary courier fee's

I agree that it would be nicer to see a galant one in the flesh - also would be good to know what is needed to fit one - are there brackets, do you need bonnet pins, can it be done without involving garage fees (fitted by hand by the braver among us!)

Once we've got the money to ship one over in place - then we can sort out who's the lucky road-testing bunny!! :thumbsup:

Wodjno
20-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Well i have received reply from Jaspen and the price for 1 bonnet is $400 (approx £208+ a few pennys )
I will order tommorow /yes

Bal
20-03-2005, 01:19 PM
i reckon someone like BDA should have it ... someone who will know what we need if everything aint in the box.

marsh
20-03-2005, 06:36 PM
i reckon someone like BDA should have it ... someone who will know what we need if everything aint in the box.

:smug: Yep, gets my vote.

Wodjno
20-03-2005, 07:05 PM
:smug: Yep, gets my vote.

Obviously this depends on whether Dave is going to put the bonnet on Project VX or on his Beast.. Putting it on the VX is going to tell us whether it fits ok , but i think it needs to go on a working vehicle to show whether the bonnets upto the job for everyday useage. where it will be subjected to heat ,vibration,cooling,and being opened and closed (granted the latter can be done on VX) :inquisiti

Wodjno
20-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Just received conformation of jaspens UK distributor that was originally supposed to be in London , but turned out to be in Birmingham .. !

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
He's in Leicester :rolleyes4 :huh2: :huh: /lol

Smokinmasta2
20-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Obviously this depends on whether Dave is going to put the bonnet on Project VX or on his Beast.. Putting it on the VX is going to tell us whether it fits ok , but i think it needs to go on a working vehicle to show whether the bonnets upto the job for everyday useage. where it will be subjected to heat ,vibration,cooling,and being opened and closed (granted the latter can be done on VX) :inquisiti

I agree...............however, it need to a relativly 'normal' car i think ;) ;)
Something in a mild state of tune..............or standard even???!!!

Smokin...........

Wodjno
20-03-2005, 07:56 PM
I agree...............however, it need to a relativly 'normal' car i think ;) ;)
Something in a mild state of tune..............or standard even???!!!

Smokin...........

Well i actually think that it would be best to be tested on a car that is going to generate a hell of a lot of heat to make sure that it is stable .. also the point stability at high speeds , so as mention in an earlier post , will there be the need for bonnet pins , or is this a prerequisite rather than an option ??

enigma
21-03-2005, 11:06 AM
I am quite happy to do the initial assesment/testing on my car - it gets used everyday and clocks up several hundred miles a week. It depends on timescales though - if its here quickly then I will test it and release it to someone who will be at Japfest so you can all see the product, if its a more long term delivery I think its important that prospective buyers can see it fitted - a Carbon mini meet I think!

I am also happy for someone else to test it if they so wish. :thumbsup: Just let me know /yes

koala
21-03-2005, 12:24 PM
I ll like to chip in as well if needed £10

When its all ok I would like to have one of these!!

I am not a official member of the club yet? Do I have to be one to get involved in this bulk buy?

I dont even have a VR4 yet? :inquisiti
Its on the boat and heading towards my drive :thumbsup:
Hopefully it will be here in few weeks!!! And its a Legnum VR4 (I am hoping it will fit my car)

regards

Wodjno
21-03-2005, 12:42 PM
I ll like to chip in as well if needed £10

When its all ok I would like to have one of these!!

I am not a official member of the club yet? Do I have to be one to get involved in this bulk buy?

I dont even have a VR4 yet? :inquisiti
Its on the boat and heading towards my drive :thumbsup:
Hopefully it will be here in few weeks!!! And its a Legnum VR4 (I am hoping it will fit my car)

regards

We'll take anyones money .. :leer:

Welcome to the club and congrats on your purchase , :thumbsup:

So if your willing to throw £10 into the pot for something your not even going to own .. You'll jump at the chance to throw £20 into ClubVR4 for the membership fee ..

It's wealth of info that you will never regret paying for .. /yes

Anyhow until you do , Enjoy the site .. :thumbsup:

Wodjno
22-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Hi All... :happy:

Quick update on the bonnets ..

Looks like bonnet won't be here to end of April.. Ben (UK Distributor) syas it's about 2-3 weeks for shipping ,then another 7 to 10 days for customs .. Thats if we haven't missed this next shipment ..

He is going to contact me tomorrow to verify that 1 of the bonnets has made it onto shipment ..

Cheers

WODJ

shooter
22-03-2005, 10:31 PM
If these bonnets are true to what they claim, and BDA finds they are suitable and if somebody can tell me if it will fit my legnum VR-4 I will have one as well.

Ive just cleared the garage of all my old spares and stuff on ebay and made a few bob so its a new bonnet or some gagetry.

PS has anybody fitted the enkie wheels they are selling over on the MLR site? will they fit my car?

Cheers
Shooter

Big Ian
26-03-2005, 10:15 AM
there is a "write-up" on fitting carboun bonnet's (and other tip's)with picic's in this month's Banzi mag /yes
also a black V6-sport with an evo wing,in the for sale section (£8K)

firefly
28-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Hi there

Wodjno - did a bonnet make it onto the next shipment or not?

I'm looking forward to seeing one and think it would be great if prospective buyers could see the 'prototype' in person before they buy. Maybe this could be arranged for one of the upcoming 'fests' if the prototype is fitted in time.

Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh - have we decided who is chipping in for the 'prototype' and how we are doing this - i.e. paybal, nochex, cheque etc???

Wodjno
28-03-2005, 12:10 AM
Hi there

Wodjno - did a bonnet make it onto the next shipment or not?

The answer to your question is .. I don't Know :embarasse

Sorry but as i last posted that Ben was supposed to contact me re shipment , but he did not ..
Have tried couple of times to contact him by phone but to no avail .. Also no reply by e-mail ..
:inquisiti
I "WILL" as soon as i finish typing this reply write another e-mail off to Ben and also a Copy will be forwarded off to Jaspen to ..I will also try ringing Ben on Tuesday after Bank Hols .. /yes

Seems a bit strange really that he has not contacted me cos he seemed a nice chap and sounded rather genuine in his plight to sort out this issue .. :huh:

Will keep you update as and when ..

Cheers

WODJ .. :thumbsup:

Wodjno
28-03-2005, 12:16 AM
I "WILL" as soon as i finish typing this reply write another e-mail off to Ben and also a Copy will be forwarded off to Jaspen

Done !! /yes

Roadrunner
28-03-2005, 02:07 AM
has anybody fitted the enkie wheels they are selling over on the MLR site? will they fit my car?
Not tried the Enkeis, but they're the same size as the wheels on my car (17x8) so, yep, they will fit. Best tyres are 225/45x17, although 235s fit OK too.

Bal
08-04-2005, 12:25 PM
whats hnappening with this?

Pescha
10-04-2005, 07:15 AM
Not trying to throw more coal on to the fire so to speak... BUT and it is a VERY VERY big BUT! My brother in law here in New Zealand, tried buying a 1969 Mustang cash thru ebay (USA), worth more than $30,000NZ (he wont tell us exactly how much) went thru the whole insurance for your money thru ebay, like you give ebay your money, ebay checks out the trader blah blah, well the dude gave (apparently) all freight documentation of the Mustang heading to NZ to ebay, (trader had a gleaming record over 1,000 positives) so ebay sent the $$. But till this day no Mustang has arrived (been nearly a year I think), FBI are onto it etc etc.... Please be weiry, I'd hate to think this was a scam, which we all know there are HUGE scammers out there!

Thats my 2 cents...

Cheers,
Pescha!
P.S have you spoken to the guy over the phone, plus have you been given an address to see if it is true?

ThEbIrDmAn13
10-04-2005, 02:31 PM
I feel sorry for your brother...but, Jaspen is a reputable seller and many of us here in the US have dealt with him for some other things...so i guess we'll see when it comes to the supplier...

Wodjno
10-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi all ..

Regarding what Pescha posted .. I am having my doubts now .. As i said i have spoke to Ben (Leicester) and i have his address if someone is near by and could pop in and see the bloke , as i am getting no reply from phone or E-Mail.

I have also tried to contact Jaspen and i am having no joy there either .. He does not list these bonnets on ebay anymore ,i have searched but cannot find them ..?

I even e-mailed one of the purchasers of the bonnets from Jaspen for some info on whether they had received the bonnet yet and if so what where there findings .. I have had no reply from them either ??

Regarding ThEbIrDmAn13's post . I'm not doubting his reputation as the volume of his sales and his feedbacked seemed to look pretty good . But not having any replys from Jaspen or his UK distributor now for sometime now ,you can see why i am having some doubts !! Maybe you could try contacting him for us .. Or anyone else while we are at it , maybe he will answer someone elses e-mail ..
If there is anyone near Leicester that could slide by and pay Ben a visit , then i will PM the address he e-mailed me ..

Cheers and Apologies

WODJ

Smokinmasta2
10-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Not bothering to reply to phone or mail smacks of very poor after sales/customer care - if they cant be bothered to answer now, what is going to happen if a few peeps have probs with the bonnets???!!!!
Starting to feel this is going to end up going nowhere..............

An old addage (spelling?) 'if it seems too good to be true, it most likely is'

Caveat Emptor....................

Smokin..............

wirdy
11-04-2005, 12:34 AM
This isn't sounding good.

Wodjno
19-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Well it's been another week and i still aren't getting any reply form either E-mail or phone form either Jaspen or his UK distributor .. I'm sorry guys but it looks like this deal has fell thru .. As i posted last week i cannot find any listings for these bonnets anymore on e-bay (though i haven't looked since )so maybe it's time to look elsewhere .. My only thoughts are , if someone else can try and contact them either by phone or E-Mail ( which i can supply) we might be able to get some sort of answer .. Obviously my E-Mail and phone numbers are being recognised ..

Apologies

Glenn(WODJ)

MR.VOODOO
24-04-2005, 07:04 PM
i have been selling carbon hoods from various manufactures for about two years and at that price it was never going to happen .
i found a supplier in tawain for carbon hoods and the cost of a mx5 hood was
£96 + vat+ shipping+ duty around £285
i brought a sample and it was CRAP
I buy from 4 diffrent people in the usa and their stuff is good
you get what you pay for with carbon hoods
i have just order a monster style hood for my legnum and it cost me £663 all in
i will look at my suppliers web site an an evo style hood will csot me
if you are intrested
like i say i have been promiosed by a deraler in the uk carbon bonnet for £300
this has been going on since may 2004 and they still have not arrived
why do people do this !