PDA

View Full Version : Do my turbos need new gaskets etc?

BBVR4
08-08-2016, 04:49 AM
Hi all I want ur opinion on these turbos and do they need servicing new gaskets etc, the rusty pipe one is the back turbo and the oily one is the front, and wheres the best place to get the gaskets etc that aren't crap quality but not very expensive either in NZ.

Any help will be much Appreciated

Thanks

Davezj
08-08-2016, 09:06 PM
What. Gaskets are you referring to?

If it is the banjo blot that holds the pipe to the turbo centre section, then it is a copper washer on both sides of the pipe. But the rusty pipe in the second picture is a water pipe and the oily pipe in the fist picture is a water pipe.
The oil feed is on the top of the turbo the oil drain back to the sump is on the bottom of the turbo and the pipes on the side are water pipes from the cooling system to help cool the turbo centre section where the oil bearings are.

Can you clarify what you actually mean when you say gasket.

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

BBVR4
09-08-2016, 12:39 AM
hi Dave thanks everything that's needed for the turbos like a kit or something to replace all old parts, anything like that around that can be done by myself planning on doing on my next oil change which is due in a couple thousand Ks

Davezj
09-08-2016, 01:20 PM
all gaskets can be bought from the main dealers and are often the cheapest place for good gaskets especially for the more complex type, but for things like copper washer any motor factors or car shops should stock all the sizes needed.

you need to know what you are going to take off.
are you removing the turbos to to a complete internal rebuild bearing oil seals, etc?
or are you just removing pipe to the turbo?
or are you leaving the hot side attached and removing the cold side of the turbo?

there are many seals and gaskets in each scenario. you can buy a full engine gasket rebuild kit or just a top halv of the engine rebuild kit from the main dealer. it depends how far you are going to go.

BBVR4
10-08-2016, 01:42 AM
complete internal rebuild

Davezj
10-08-2016, 01:46 PM
so you are planning on doing a turbo rebuild not changing gaskets?
you did not make yourself very clear at all.

now we can answer your question.

how much of a rebuild are you planning on doing?
are you keeping the exhaust wheel and compressor wheel and replace the rest, or just doing a bearing change and oil seals?

you have still not said if you are planning on removing the hot side of the turbo from the exhaust manifold.

are you planning on getting them balanced afterwards?