PDA

View Full Version : FS 262 Reground Camshafts with HD valve springs

Adam.Findlay
09-08-2016, 10:46 AM
I'm overstocked on my 262 camshaft regrinds at the moment. I have 3 sets ground up ready to go so im selling them for cheaper than the usual price.

Price is 1000NZD for the cams and 24 valve springs. If you send me back some stock cams knock 200 bucks off that price!

Happy to ship internationally also.

Get onto it before these are gone.

Davezj
09-08-2016, 12:40 PM
What about without the valve springs?
I have a set and a half of these already.

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

Piers1989
09-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Sorry to be a bit of a noob but I'm pretty new to modifying this much!

How do these affect the drive-ability of the car for day to day use and roughly how much more power / torque can the engine be mapped to produce and where in the rev range is it likely to be found?

On the same not of inexperience - how much labour is likely to be involved in getting a garage to fit these!

Adam.Findlay
09-08-2016, 09:05 PM
700 without springs and same thing applies. If yiu return me your stock cams take 200 off

Driveability is as normal fhese are a great street cam. Not too big that it upsets the idle too much and doesnt loose any low end power. We have seen aa much as 230kw at the wheels with these cams with stock turbos on pump fuel
Takes about 8-10 hours to install. And you need a toold to remove the valve springs while the heads are still on the engine which is about 80NZD

Piers1989
10-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the info,

I'll keep this in mind but with that much labour and having to pay the garage it's probably some food for the future.

Davezj
10-08-2016, 07:40 PM
700 without springs and same thing applies. If yiu return me your stock cams take 200 off

Driveability is as normal fhese are a great street cam. Not too big that it upsets the idle too much and doesnt loose any low end power. We have seen aa much as 230kw at the wheels with these cams with stock turbos on pump fuel
Takes about 8-10 hours to install. And you need a toold to remove the valve springs while the heads are still on the engine which is about 80NZD

hi adam,
can you remember what the postage cost was when you sent a set of cams of to little old england last time someone bought some cam only.
i know you said befor that that you are happy to under valve the cams to limit the cost of the import duty and VAT into england which is very good of you, i think at $500 plus postage plus duty plus VAT is a good price even for UK people.

lateshow
10-08-2016, 07:51 PM
This is now quite a bargain so you guys should buy them. Doesn't loose any power from bottom end if you have stock turbos. These are not very agressive cams.

adaxo
10-08-2016, 08:24 PM
Davezj shall we?

Davezj
10-08-2016, 08:43 PM
i am very interested, but i don't need the vavle springs, as i have two sets of 16 springs already (the BC1000 brian crower) so you would only need one set of 16 springs off adam and the cams.
the cams with out postage duty and vat work out to be about £275 so if the cams are valued at $50 for shipping then import duty and VAT is negligible. it is just the postage. we both have a spare set of cams to send adam for the reduction. so that would be easy.

it would be rude not to really. depending on postage cost.

it might even be cheaper to combine postage for both of us.

adaxo
10-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Let see what's cost of post for total. Anyone else wants to join for 3th set and share post cost?

foxdie
11-08-2016, 07:26 AM
If this can wait until September I might be in :)

Davezj
11-08-2016, 11:00 AM
I am in no desperate hurry.

lateshow
11-08-2016, 12:40 PM
As I'm not all about "hiding professional secrets" I can tell you guys that some tuning is required after installing these. It seems that timing should be added.

Davezj
11-08-2016, 01:11 PM
As I'm not all about "hiding professional secrets" I can tell you guys that some tuning is required after installing these. It seems that timing should be added.

thanks for the info, both adam and myself are running LPG and have the timing advance turned up way past anything petrol can handle without using water/meth injection. without getting knock so this upgrade sounds ideal.

and we all have the ability to edit the ecu maps.

got the air compressor and fitting for pumping up the cylinder/valve.

so it looks like everything is in place. just need the tool for changing vale spings itself.

i have a standard valve spring compressor for changing the valve with a head off, so i might just do the upgrade on my spare engine as i have to take the heads of that anyway. and then swap the engines over afterwards.

lateshow
11-08-2016, 01:48 PM
so it looks like everything is in place. just need the tool for changing vale spings itself.

i have a standard valve spring compressor for changing the valve with a head off, so i might just do the upgrade on my spare engine as i have to take the heads of that anyway. and then swap the engines over afterwards.

good luck with that job. you need steady hands

Davezj
11-08-2016, 02:17 PM
I think the tool required to change valve springs without removing the heads gets bolted to the top of the head in each cam position and then the spring compressing head of the tool is slide along to each valve on that cam position. Then moved the tool to the next cam position and bolt it on.
But don't know what it is called.

peter thomson
11-08-2016, 09:29 PM
This is what we have, very useful

http://www.toolandfix.com/draper-59085-universal-valve-spring-compressor.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CKTMlvSZus4CFaIV0wod14YAgg

Davezj
11-08-2016, 11:17 PM
thanks pete,
that is not a bad price for the tool,
i have been doing some digging on the tool front and there seem to be lots of different types out there. from the type you have linked to, down to a block of metal that bolts to the cam cap holes and has a screw directly above the valve spring and it just screws in to compress the spring and release the pressure on the retainers.

Adam.Findlay
12-08-2016, 04:43 AM
Yes thats the correct tool Peter.i just got a cheap version off ebay, cost me about 90NZD and ive done nearly 10 engines with it now and its not let me down.

From memory is was about 150NZD to ship one set to the UK but I cant exactly remember. If you can organise 2 more people and i can send all 3 sets to one address im sure the shipping will be cheaper too.
Plus I know how stupid the UK import tax is ao I am happy to undervalue the package to help save you some money, although i accept no responsibility for damages or losses during shipping if you decide to do this.
The valve spring sets I have are BC1230 so sets of 24 and I would rather not split them and be left with 16.which I cant sell, so you will have to buy one more set of BC1100 to make up 2 sets of 24 or if you are going to buy all 3 sets 1 set of 16 and i can supply one set of 24.

The car will run and drive fine on a stock ecu but as Lauri suggests to get the best results a dyno tune is reccomended.

Davezj
12-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Thanks Adam that is great information. I will have a chat with Adaxo and foxdie to see if we can sort out the purchase.
Sorry for hijacking you for sale thread with talk of valve spring compressors .
But hopefully you will get a sale out of it.

Davezj
19-08-2016, 10:03 AM
I have emailed you Adam about the camshafts Adam.Findlay
By the way do you still have 3 sets of cams? I read on ozvr4 that you sold one set already.

Adam.Findlay
21-08-2016, 07:26 AM
yes still have 3 sets.

Adam.Findlay
24-08-2016, 11:39 PM
Bump

Davezj
25-08-2016, 12:24 AM
I adam Adam.Findlay
i have done the number crunching on all cost the involved and i just can't afford the cams in the UK.
I would love to have them at the New Zealand price, they are a proper bargain at the base NZ price without the shipping to the UK.
It is a shame you are not based over in the UK.

sorry for not getting back sooner i have been mulling it over with adaxo.
i am going to leave it.
maybe when i win the lottery i will have some 262, 272, and 280 cams off you and i can fly out to NZ and pick them up personally. LOL.

Adam.Findlay
07-09-2016, 10:21 AM
These are still available.

FLPGACITUA
16-09-2016, 03:15 AM
Do you buy sets? Or are you over stocked with stock ones?

ersanalamin
20-09-2016, 02:04 AM
Hi adam what is the benefit of installing Heavy duty Valve spring over stock? more rough engine noise as side effect I suppose? and how much is the price. Definitely interested in your cam and i have spare camshaft but i ve already spent 1100 AUD on high flowing TD03. money will be ready on november, 2 month away. Is it true no noticeable loss on low rpm? no noisier sound?

Adam.Findlay
20-09-2016, 12:20 PM
No low ened power loss.
Valve springs are required to keep the valve train under control and deal with the more agressive profile of the reground cams.

The springs haveno effect on the idle quality, thats caused by the cams but there are a mild street cam
Price is detailed in the first post...

1000NZD for the set with springs.
Or 800NZD if you send me your stock cams to grind
This price is only until the 2 sets I have left sell. Then the orice gies back up to 1100 and 900 respectivly.

ersanalamin
21-09-2016, 02:19 AM
No low ened power loss.
Valve springs are required to keep the valve train under control and deal with the more agressive profile of the reground cams.

The springs haveno effect on the idle quality, thats caused by the cams but there are a mild street cam
Price is detailed in the first post...

1000NZD for the set with springs.
Or 800NZD if you send me your stock cams to grind
This price is only until the 2 sets I have left sell. Then the orice gies back up to 1100 and 900 respectivly.

sent you pm

Adam.Findlay
21-09-2016, 10:04 AM
replied.

ersanalamin
22-09-2016, 04:10 AM
replied.

booked 1 set, a set of camshaft shipped to you today. PM sent

ersanalamin
10-01-2017, 02:01 AM
Hi Adam, engine rebuild is done, 262 cam already on. Haven't tried engine power on track due to engine break procedure. But the HLA now is noisy. is that the side effect of 262 cam regrind? any idea how to overcome this issue or i should have live with that? To be honest the tapping noise is annoying me, the sound like my car has diesel engine inside

Davezj
10-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Could the tapping noise be reduced by shimming the bottom of the hydraulic tappets
Just have to make sure you don't block the oil drain hole with shim.
You would Need to work out how much extra the hydraulic tappet has extended above the normal height to take up the slack when material is removed from the bottom of the lobe. Then that would put you back at the same operating point of the tappet before the cam was fitted.

Am i on the right lines here.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

ersanalamin
11-01-2017, 10:40 AM
Could the tapping noise be reduced by shimming the bottom of the hydraulic tappets
Just have to make sure you don't block the oil drain hole with shim.
You would Need to work out how much extra the hydraulic tappet has extended above the normal height to take up the slack when material is removed from the bottom of the lobe. Then that would put you back at the same operating point of the tappet before the cam was fitted.

Am i on the right lines here.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Yes dave the ticking noise reduced, almost gone now but still ticking, getting harder as rpm increase. once the engine break procedure passed i will use heavier oil grade (15w-50 mobile 1) now 10w-40 castrol magnatec and check it out with my spare HLA and maybe put the shim on. they said about 0.5mm thick. but if still ticking i may buy the solid HLA.

Nick Mann
11-01-2017, 02:46 PM
Did you uprate the springs? If it is worse at high revs maybe the valves aren't closing fast enough? I have no real concept of the spring strength required or the strength of the stock springs, let alone a good grasp of the physics in that particular situation, but just a thought.

hbkuk1
11-01-2017, 07:49 PM
15w 50? Not sure about that. I have no issues with my rpw 272 cams oem springs no shims I don't know if that helps? I found edge 0w30 keeps the ticking away

ersanalamin
12-01-2017, 03:19 AM
Did you uprate the springs? If it is worse at high revs maybe the valves aren't closing fast enough? I have no real concept of the spring strength required or the strength of the stock springs, let alone a good grasp of the physics in that particular situation, but just a thought.

sure BC crower that is

ersanalamin
12-01-2017, 03:23 AM
15w 50? Not sure about that. I have no issues with my rpw 272 cams oem springs no shims I don't know if that helps? I found edge 0w30 keeps the ticking away

In tropical country not wise to use lighter oil grade, especially with hi boost and hi rev, the oil pressure will drop faster. in my region its recommend to use higher grade fully synth oil like 15w-50 mobile 1 to maintain oil pressure. so if no one find the problem with high duration cams, the culpirit would be bad condition HLA. will find it with my spare HLA whether is good enough for replacement.

hbkuk1
12-01-2017, 07:04 AM
Fair enough must be warm where you are