PDA

View Full Version : Hello at last

nicktooley
10-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Been meaning to join you, had my Galant V6 Sport Est for a couple of years now, great car just a few niggles - like it's with the dealer at the moment with a busted front o/s spring. Can't wait for the bill.

Wife and 6 y/o twins prevent regular input but I'll get in when I can.

PS Anyone had probs with auto box manual changes? (revs go up by 500 or so from 3rd to 4th?)

Nick Mann
10-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Welcome! Shame about the niggles. Could you explain the rev thing more exactly? The revs change before you change, after you change, while you change?

nicktooley
10-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Hi Nick - sorry, when you select 4th from 3rd, instead of the usual smooth change, the revs go up mid change and the car leaps forward a bit. Rather like a manual change and revving the engine before letting the clutch out.

Nick Mann
10-03-2005, 09:35 PM
I would check the g/box oil level and colour. If it is red and at the right level, try resetting the ECU - disconnect the battery for a minute or two.

It seems mitsubishi are not very good at doing a full gearbox oil change, so there is a good chance your oil is a tad rough!

Sulli
10-03-2005, 09:49 PM
I was going to post about something similar.
It seems to me that the tip gearbox has 5 gears, but each gear seems to have either 2 levels (normal and overdrive?), or the clutch slips it sometimes, and reacts to whether you're cruising or accellerating.
I don't think it's anything to do with gearbox oil, but a feature - not basing that on anything apart from it feels like it's meant to do it.
Anyone else experienced this?

paulmc
10-03-2005, 09:50 PM
welcome m8, I am quite new here but they are a good bunch of lads and very helpful :thumbsup:

Paul

Nick Mann
10-03-2005, 10:06 PM
VR4's and late models had 5 speed autos. Everything else is 4 speed. Kieran will tell you more exactly!

In the 5 speed, 4th and 5th have a lock-up mechanism. If you are cruising in 4th or 5th, you should find it sounds like a manual. If you press the go button harder, the lock-up releases and the torque converter starts slipping. Thus it can feel like you have changed down a gear, when actually you haven't.

Did that make sense?

Legnum Boy
10-03-2005, 10:32 PM
VR4's and late models had 5 speed autos. Everything else is 4 speed. Kieran will tell you more exactly!

In the 5 speed, 4th and 5th have a lock-up mechanism. If you are cruising in 4th or 5th, you should find it sounds like a manual. If you press the go button harder, the lock-up releases and the torque converter starts slipping. Thus it can feel like you have changed down a gear, when actually you haven't.

Did that make sense?

Not only did that make sense, its the best description I have heard that explains why I don't think the APEXi AVC-R can properly learn what gear you are driving in at any set moment.... :thumbsup:

Torque converters suck!!!!

I want a fully locking version for my tiptronic exploits... :evil2:

Sulli
10-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Not only did that make sense, its the best description I have heard that explains why I don't think the APEXi AVC-R can properly learn what gear you are driving in at any set moment.... :thumbsup:

Torque converters suck!!!!

I want a fully locking version for my tiptronic exploits... :evil2:

I don't think it does it if you're flooring it - just gives full power all the way through.

Kieran
10-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Been meaning to join you, had my Galant V6 Sport Est for a couple of years now, great car just a few niggles - like it's with the dealer at the moment with a busted front o/s spring. Can't wait for the bill.

Wife and 6 y/o twins prevent regular input but I'll get in when I can.

PS Anyone had probs with auto box manual changes? (revs go up by 500 or so from 3rd to 4th?)

Greetings. Another nottingham member! Whereabouts in the county are you?

Regarding the gearbox... My GLS did this when I was going around castle combe track... Exactly as you describe, it was like the car was 'blipping' the throttle before changing gear. Came down to autobox fluid that was past it's best and the trackday sealed it's doom and I had to change it shortly afterwards.

If your car has been looked after by Mitsubishi all it's life, chances are that the autobox fluid will be pretty tired. If you're interested, we're having a meeting at Donnington race track on March 19th. You could maybe pop down and compare notes? :scholar:

nicktooley
12-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Keiran - you guessed it, main dealer service history, time to get under the bonnet myself At least it doesn't sound like anything too expensive.

I'm based west of J26 M1 (Ikea land) Can't do Donington I'm afraid kids birthday and party on 19th, I presume you know it's a bike day? Week after is for cars (my mate's circuit manager). If you are definitely going, what time will you stay till and where exactly are you meeting up?

Legnum Boy
13-03-2005, 04:41 PM
[OFF TOPIC WARNING]

I don't think it does it if you're flooring it - just gives full power all the way through.

Mine does it regardless of throttle position.
Any gear, any how... :inquisiti

If I'm sitting at 2000 rpms in any gear in tiptronic and floor it or give it some throttle, the torque lock-up releases and allows the car to rev up to about 3200 rpm, which I'm guessing is near to peak torque. The converter doesn't lock back up until it has caught the engine up again, which is over 80 mph in 5th... /yes

Nick Mann
13-03-2005, 07:25 PM
...my mate's circuit manager...

Hello friend! :smug:

For the Donnington meet info have a look at the midlands meet - go to events or click the link in my signature. We know its bikes, but just wanted somewhere easy to get to.