PDA

View Full Version : Coilover repair or replacement??

Ozztrich
23-08-2016, 08:25 PM
Hi all

I'm after a bit of advice. I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 factory fitted with GAB Wagon coilovers. Unfortunately, on my last MOT they found that the two rear shocks are leaking and got a bit of a knock from the nearside front. Is there anywhere reputable that can recondition them and any idea of cost? Also, is it worth it?

I may just have to bite the bullet and fork out for a new set but I'm on a bit of a a budget at the moment so would prefer to repair them if possible and cost effective.

Thanks in advance!

stevestorm
23-08-2016, 10:37 PM
hi ozz, ive just taken a set of lowered struts & red springs off my legnum, to hard for me !! must be getting old? there a bit rusty but have no leaks or knocks? any good to ya ? regards stevestorm

Davezj
23-08-2016, 11:53 PM
i dont think any VR4 came with factory fitted coilovers

by coilover i am assuming you are talking about height adjustable coilovers and not just a coil spring over a shock.

as for repairing leaking shock seals if the shock are dismantlable the seals need to be changed and normally they are only manufacturer serviceable.
however most standard shock are welded and not serviceable.

Ozztrich
25-08-2016, 02:54 PM
I was a bit dubious about the factory fitted part as it was the previous keeper who told me that! I bought the car with loads of history from Japan which has some info on the shocks but its all in Japanese.

From what I can tell, it looks like the shock is sold as a complete unit so I may be out of luck trying to get them reconditioned. I can't seem to find any UK distributors online either so I think they'll have to be replaced.

Any suggestions. I've been looking at BC Racing BR Series. Anyone tried them?

Ozztrich
25-08-2016, 02:59 PM
PM'd you Steve

Nick Mann
26-08-2016, 08:55 AM
BC series are fine if you want low. At maximum height they are still noticeably lower than stock suspension. At minimum height your car will be on the ground with the wheels jammed against the inside of the arches.

Ozztrich
26-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Thanks Nick. I don't want to go too low as the roads are terrible round here... speed bumps everywhere!

This is the sort of height I'm running at the moment which seems fine. I'd like to get it around the same but with the option of going a bit higher when needed.

Are there any you'd recommend?