PDA

View Full Version : Can a 6A13TT ECU run a 6G72?

Colza
24-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Ok so this isn't directly a VR4 question, so I hope noone minds me posting it here. I am in NZ and have a twin turbo GTO. I want to get my car running on a flashable ECU, but the information around the net is very fragmented and I'm struggling to put the whole picture together. Most of my info comes from the US sites, but the JDM ECUs are not the same (and I believe are not flashable). I think a flashable 6A13TT ECU could be an alternative however the US didn't get them so again I'm struggling to find info.

I believe the processor is the same so I assume the GTO/3000GT rom will flash to the 6A13TT ECU, however I don't know if the hardware is compatible. Does anyone know if the crank angle sensor, injector drivers, coil drivers etc. are compatible?

Nick Mann
24-08-2016, 04:25 PM
It's not a question I have heard asked before. I suspect that it will be very awkward. Is standalone an option?

foxdie
24-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Hi Colin, welcome to Club VR-4.

Without doing further research into it (I've spent 5 mins), I would suspect that a 6A13TT ECU theoretically could run a 6G72 however you're going to hit a lot of hurdles, here's just 3 I found in a few minutes of research;

1. Wiring - Earlier 6G72TT ECUs appears to have 3 plugs (http://www.stealth316.com/2-ecu94.htm), the 6A13TT ECU has 4 (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?59222-Definitive-EFI-ECU-Pinout-(KS-Mod-friendly)), this naturally implies you'll have to do a LOT of rewiring if you have an earlier GTO
2. Impedance - From what I can tell, the 6G72TT has low impedance injectors, the 6A13TT has high impedance injectors, you'll most likely have to swap the injectors
3. Settings - All the settings in the 6A13TT ECU's are tailored for that car, injector latency etc, you'll need to find a very good tuner to correct all that

Hope this helps. If you decide to proceed, look for Kenneths KS ROM as it easily lets you change injector scaling.

Colza
24-08-2016, 09:35 PM
1. Wiring - Earlier 6G72TT ECUs appears to have 3 plugs (http://www.stealth316.com/2-ecu94.htm), the 6A13TT ECU has 4 (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?59222-Definitive-EFI-ECU-Pinout-(KS-Mod-friendly)), this naturally implies you'll have to do a LOT of rewiring if you have an earlier GTO

I intend to make an adapter hardness between my GTO loom and whatever ECU I end up running. I already have a scrap GTO ECU to pull the plugs off, whatever car I get the ECU out of can provide me the loom side plugs to match the ECU.

2. Impedance - From what I can tell, the 6G72TT has low impedance injectors, the 6A13TT has high impedance injectors, you'll most likely have to swap the injectors

Good point. I'm going to be upgrading injectors anyway, so I will just have to pick some that suit the ECU.

3. Settings - All the settings in the 6A13TT ECU's are tailored for that car, injector latency etc, you'll need to find a very good tuner to correct all that

This is where it gets interesting. I have two options here, I can either run the proper tunable ROM for the ECU (in this case Kenneth's for the 6A13TT) and try and tune it to run my GTO engine, OR I can try and flash the ECU with the tunable GTO rom which is called Chrome (http://chromedecu.org/?product=chromed-ecu-rom). Given both ECU's have the same processor (MH7202) so I assume it is possible to flash the ROM. What I don't know is whether the pin layouts of the processor on the board match up with the right hardware to actually function correctly.

lateshow
29-08-2016, 05:48 AM
Generally, if &G72 ignition is controlled with 3 pulses, this could work. And lots of other little stuff. Like the MAF they use....

BCX
06-09-2016, 05:35 AM
I've managed to convert a 3-plug 6G72 Triton to use a 4-plug reflashable ECU (from later Triton). In this case, 3 plugs on the car are almost like for like pinout with the 4 plug ecu, and you just need the smaller plug from a wreck for 2-3 of the pins. So it's worth comparing the pinouts, we didn't need to repin much.

Also worth mentioning, that I've tried flashing VR4 rom on 6g74 magna. Didn't run, but there is potential to get this working with some mods.

In short it's doable but only if you got the time and know-how.

My mate used to have a 1st gen GTO a long time ago, a lot of the ignition system, sensors, etc looked very similar to the VR4.

However, you're better off working with the ECU and ROM that was intended for a GTO. If you've got a ROM, happy to look at it. Porting mods to GTO has been on my to-do list. I dunno if there is any demand given there is Chrome?

SAF68
27-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Colza ,

Yes you can !! i already made ;)

You'll need the 99 rom from the 3000GT/GTO ( check the forum 3SI or 3SGTO to upload the rom ) , you'll need of course an ecu from 6A13TT like 7202/7203 and this adpater ( see the photo that i made):

Saf

Colza
27-02-2017, 04:34 AM
Now that looks VERY interesting! PM'd for more info :bananadan

Colza
30-03-2017, 12:08 AM
Well I finally got myself a FL Legnum ECU to have a play with. Ive been going over the pinouts and I'll be damned if they aren't pretty much identical.

I have a 91-93 GTO so its only a 3 connector ECU, but I'm pretty sure that if you pluged in connectors 1 and 4 from the Legnum ECU the car would actually run. There are a couple of Not Connected pins on the Legnum that do boring things on the GTO like EGR and Evap. Purge and some electrical load idle up input, but other than that its pin for pin. Connector 2 is a bit more of a mess, but its mostly non-critical things, boost gauge output, active exhaust, diagnostic connector etc. and then connector 3 is just the OBD2 conector data pins and a bunch of stuff that doesn't exist on the GTO.

I'm getting hold of an Openport 2.0 some time in the next couple of days so with any luck I can get a '99 GTO ROM flashed and put it in my car and see what happens!