PDA

View Full Version : engine oil cooler

pitmac
28-08-2016, 01:03 AM
Do our cars need a engine oil cooler.
When fitting a oil cooler should it be level with the oil filter sandwich plate or above it or below it.
concerned about oil draiinng back over night.
Also concerned about old diirty oil staying in cooler when changing the oil.

Davezj
28-08-2016, 11:51 AM
if the cooler is below the filter you are right the oil in the filter will not drain back to the sump when the engine is turned off. so when you change the oil in the cooler will not drain out.
however if you do set it up so it drains all the oil back to the sump (vertical in/out on side) you have to remember that when you start the engine you now have to pump oil into the cooler before it will reach all the crank, rod, cam bearings, etc. so you will be starving the bearings of oil for a short period of time.
the question you have to ask yourself is, is this time significant.
i dont know.
you could find out the flow rate of the oil and the volume of the cooler and this will tell you how long it will take to fill.

If mount the cooler above the filter but have the in/out on top of the cooler then only the oil in the pipe going to the cooler will drain back and the cooler will remain full.

someone will have done the research on this to know which is best.

ersanalamin
28-08-2016, 07:11 PM
if the cooler is below the filter you are right the oil in the filter will not drain back to the sump when the engine is turned off. so when you change the oil in the cooler will not drain out.
however if you do set it up so it drains all the oil back to the sump (vertical in/out on side) you have to remember that when you start the engine you now have to pump oil into the cooler before it will reach all the crank, rod, cam bearings, etc. so you will be starving the bearings of oil for a short period of time.
the question you have to ask yourself is, is this time significant.
i dont know.
you could find out the flow rate of the oil and the volume of the cooler and this will tell you how long it will take to fill.

If mount the cooler above the filter but have the in/out on top of the cooler then only the oil in the pipe going to the cooler will drain back and the cooler will remain full.

someone will have done the research on this to know which is best.

as far as i know there is a one way valve system in oil filter, so once fill up oil in oil cooler wont back to oil pan. oil from oil pan -> oil sandwich -> oil cooler -> oil filter/sandwich. my oil cooler is modified tank blitz oil cooler contain 1 liter oil, put higher than oil filter. works fine untill now