PDA

View Full Version : Help / Advice

jerryd_33
29-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Hi All,
It has been tooooo long a time for me not being on here but as title need help or advice.
Problem is I know one of the turbos is blowing smoke but also worried as it was more very white. had stopped at the side of the road due to a traffic jam n smoke was a little too much for the short frequent movements. Checked the engine oil it was low but also the transmission fluid. there is a seep from the gear box, but am worried a little because i think trans. fluid might be leaking into engine. I have got that in mind as the same thing happened to a friend a few years ago to his ford Sierra not sure how but it did.
Is it at all possible for the same to happen on our cars?
Thanks,
Jerry.

TAR
29-08-2016, 06:22 PM
white smoke is very likely to be bad turbo(s). Mine has the same problem.

Engine and gearbox don't share anything except trans oil cooler which is integral to the radiator. If ATF was leaking into the rad, it still wouldn't be able to get burnt in the combustion chamber.
:happy:

Confused
29-08-2016, 09:00 PM
Another possibility, if it only happens at idle, when the engine is warm, is valve stem seals.

When the engine is at idle, it is under the maximum vacuum, and if the valve stem seals are a little worn, then this can draw warm oil vapour into the combustion chamber.

My Legnum smokes like a chimney sometimes, it's like a James Bond smokescreen!!