PDA

View Full Version : Removing Aftermarket Stainless Downpipes?

Erni902
03-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Quick question, just got the purple VR4 up in the air (well the front anyway) the nuts on the front turbo flange loosened no problem. The rears....I am wondering what tool I can use to get them off?? Not sure of the make but they are aftermarket stainless pipes with a single flexi. One of the bolts is accessible but the other is directly above the pipe coming back from the front. I can get a socket on it but because it is directly above the pipe I cant get a handle/bar on the socket to turn it and obviously an extender just hits the pipe.

Is there some sort of bendy socket/extender that I can use to bend around the pipe and appear below so I can affix a handle/bar and get it off?

TIA

swinks
03-09-2016, 05:11 PM
For odd jobs, I use to have sets of flexi head ratchets, s-shapped spanners and "half moon" spanners.

adaxo
03-09-2016, 05:22 PM
I use this type wrench for this very nut
http://www.eurocarparts.com/wheel-wrenches

, make sure you use 6 wall socket and are sit right, problem with bigger aftermarket downpipes is they are so big that its not much room left to fit socket on bolt.

fassi1
03-09-2016, 05:49 PM
You need swivel socket extension Rikki.
Thin wall socket set is very handy too cause with 2.5'' downpipes there is a lot less room for nuts.
3/8" socket sets normally have thinner wall than 1/2"

Erni902
03-09-2016, 06:01 PM
Cheers guys for the info. I shall invest in some flexi, swivel socket extensions. Wanted to make sure I was looking at the right kind of extension before I purchased

Kryton
03-09-2016, 10:53 PM
The key is to only do them up finger tight in the first place

Erni902
03-09-2016, 11:03 PM
The key is to only do them up finger tight in the first place

That's how you get that raspy exhaust note under hard acceleration right?!

Kryton
03-09-2016, 11:19 PM
That's how you get that raspy exhaust note under hard acceleration right?!

Yeah or buy a 1.6 Honda with a motorbike exhaust for the optimum wet fart sound