PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a UK Mazda RX-8 for tracking

Grid
07-09-2016, 07:50 AM
Having decided that the Legnum is not a track animal, I am looking for something more track-oriented. Legnum will be kept as a daily, but for learning track skillz I set my sights on a Mazda RX-8, see one a potentially good deal, a UK import. Wondering if I can get some help from you guys deciphering the background check I did on it:

What would be the reason for a license plate change in the UK normally? Also the MOT history seems... reasonable for a car this age, but 7 owners...

Some more pictures here:
http://otomoto.pl/oferta/mazda-rx-8-w-bardzo-dobrym-stanie-kierownica-po-prawej-stronie-wszystko-dziala-ID6yxDnr.html

Any comments appreciated! :-)

Grid
07-09-2016, 07:52 AM

jaspa
07-09-2016, 09:55 AM
in the UK, you can buy a number plate and as long as it's display is older than the cars year of manufacture you can pay a reasonablely small fee and have this applied to the car.

an example could be "V10 YES" which I saw on a Audi R8 V10. but people also go for their initials or name. I'd guess the first change was to a Mr(or Mrs) Hay.

I can't see anything worrying in the the MOT history there.

HTH

Stuart

Grid
07-09-2016, 12:07 PM
OK thanks, that makese sense

Erni902
08-09-2016, 11:33 PM
As Stuart says, the most likely cause is someone putting a personalised reg on. As for the RX-8, I think they are fantastic little cars. Sadly I have never driven one but been a passenger and also seen plenty at Castle Combe and Brands Hatch etc. and they just look at home on the track and they sound brilliant.

I came off the M40 onto the A46 in the 350Z a few weeks back and and a tastefully modified RX-8 joined me off the roundabout and it whilst I did have the legs on him it did look and sound superb (didnt sound as good as the Zed but then Im obviously biased haha).

If I didnt get the Zed I think the only other small(ish) Jap sports car that would interest me would be the Supra or the RX-8.

Good luck in your search and let us know when you get one and how its is :)

Davezj
09-09-2016, 06:43 PM
a possible reason for many owners is high fuel cost.
it has the HP but not the torque compared to other cars in its field the wankle rotary engine is not a high toque design.

plus people get bored and families come along and they need a bigger car. need to put a babby buggy in the back etc.

i used to find a few years ago the RX-8 crop up at around £1500 for a good older version. not sure what they go for now.

Erni902
09-09-2016, 10:48 PM
Completely overlooked the number of owners lol. Usually this is not an issue for me because of the reasons Dave stated above. I had the Cayenne only 9 months before buying the 350Z. It was a particular itch that needed scratching which then rendered the Porsche surplus to requirements.

All manner of reasons can cause the vehicle to change hands several times. It all depends on the service history for me. I would much rather buy a VR4/350Z/RX8 etc that has had 15 previous owners that were enthusiasts and spent money/time on maintenance than buy a Lambo with 1 owner that ragged the t!ts off it and didnt give a to$$ about oil changes and servicing etc.

If you see an RX8 that you would like someone to test drive on your behalf by all means give me a shout, would love to drive one.

Grid
10-09-2016, 05:23 AM
It's going to be interesting lol. Spoke with some local petrolhead friends and they convinced me to have a RX-8 built with a swapped engine. All the goodies of the nicely handling RX-8 chassis, RWD and none of the disadvantages of the rotary. There are tons of RX-8 chassis in good condition with broken down engines. Just today I am going to buy a 2JZ-GE donor car. This particular N/A engine comes with 220HP stock and can easily be modded to up to 700HP without touching internals (just the head, headgasket and turbo kit). Track missile FTW, 220HP will keep me busy enough, and when I become confident I can handle that power, more will come /rally