PDA

View Full Version : kickin the tune's?

Big Ian
11-03-2005, 11:56 AM
ive posted in the non VR4-section,but this question is for all to answer /yes

ive read some post in many section's,but thought i'd ask.....what type of sound system are you using and what other ICE have you got in your car's? ive been there with the large install in past car's but with my Galant ive only added a amplified EQ and a sony head unit (for now :rolleyes4 ) ive got some plan's but then tell my self "what's the point"?
what problem's have you came across while "up-grade'n"..if any?

I-S
11-03-2005, 11:59 AM
The "What's the point?" covers it for me. My home system is worth around £7k at rrps, and will destroy anything you can get in a car because a car is simply too noisy an environment. I work in the hifi industry, and hear a lot of stuff and find a lot of rooms aren't quiet enough, let alone any cars.

adam_shaw
11-03-2005, 12:14 PM
I tend to agree, however I have got a Pioneer Nav head unit, with a changer, and am just about to add the iPod interface box (came out Monday!) over easter.

Don't see too much point in much else. The speakers are good enough for the head unit....

A

Trow
11-03-2005, 01:42 PM
well am afraid I have to agree with Ian, there's just nothing better than driving a VR4 that's complimented with a decent sound system and my car would have been kitted out with a nice apline system by now if my gearbox hadn't crapped out :embarasse

Nick Mann
11-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Disagree with you, Isaac. I have a reasonable Hi-Fi at home, so yes, the car will never be as good, but I spend as much time listening to tunes in the car as at home, so it ought to be reasonable.

The standard UK fit Philips head unit is not too bad, the front speakers are excellent, but the rear speakers are poor.

I have put a Pioneer double-din in mine and changed the rear speakers to infinities. The speakers were £60 from Halfrauds and were worth every penny. The Pioneer sounds better than the Philips, but maybe not enough to justify what I spent on it?!

Improve the sounds. You don't need to spend mega bucks on amps and subs - just a powerful head unit and good rear speakers.

i3ooyah
11-03-2005, 03:19 PM
hmmmm my opinion differs from nick mann, i think you should have good ampd front speakers & a decent 10" sub for nice sq

ive had all types of setups, from spl to good sounding music

right now i got a cadence 800wrms amp runnin a 1200wrms cerwin vega stroker and also a 50wrms x 4 running front sony components & sony coax's in the back doors

i'll definately pick car audio over home sounds even though i have a reasonably expensive & sweet sounding settup in my lounge.

Big Ian
11-03-2005, 03:39 PM
HHMM!..while you guy's have been jotting down some answer's to my Question,ive been out and bought a set of JBL 6X9's for the rear shelf...yip straight out and bought them,without even looking at the shelf on my saloon????
FuSk'n ell :inquisiti ive gave my self a job!,they aint really built for 6X9 are they?
i'm in the middle of building some new holder's? from MDF for them to sit in which i'll fit on top of the original speaker hole....hopefully :rolleyes4 if that dont work then i'll be building a whole shelf /yes

Big Ian
11-03-2005, 03:56 PM
work in progress :smug:
just got a few smoothing bit's and then either paint or cover with material and one will be done and then time to do the other :rolleyes4 ,then fit them securely..finger's crossed!

I-S
11-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Of course, what every person does is different. I don't listen to music in the car anyway and spend more time at home than in the car. However, like I said, I work in hifi, I run a large internet hifi forum, etc so I have a different perspective to most people. What anyone else does is probably the right thing for them.

Spirit
11-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Must admit I was never one for the big installs, but in my last VR4 I went down the route of having a Pioneer head unit with motorised tv screen, a DVD player in the second din slot, tv screens in the headrests and an amp/sub in the boot.

Whilst I have not gone as far this time, I did really miss the sub ! The difference it makes is well worth the fairly small investment, especially with the type of rock/metal I like to listen too whilst driving. So I did not invest in upgrading the head unit this time as Simon kindly left the Kenwood head unit and multi-changer in it, and had also upgraded the rear speakers to Infinity Kappa's. All I had to do was add the amp/sub and plumped for a 12" sub again as I don't think a 10" was quite up to the job.

Even Shaz now says the best song for the car is AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" blasting through the sub........does make all the mirrors vibrate and your body shake mind :thumbsup:

psbarham
11-03-2005, 10:14 PM
all i've got is an alpine head unit with all the bells and whistles (adjustable cross overs and high and low pass filters) with the original mitsubishi front speakers and a set of kenwood two ways in the shelf , it's enough for now especially as she who thinks she must be obayed says that i'm not allowed a sub coz i'd probably make my 18mth old son deaf, he isn't bothered as he is rather partial to a bit of led zeppelin and pink floydd :thumbsup: , start 'em young.

Zeke
12-03-2005, 12:50 AM
I have a pioneer system. But more often than not, I leave it off to listen to the exhaust and turbo whine. :thumbsup:

Legnum Boy
12-03-2005, 04:02 PM
I have a pioneer system. But more often than not, I leave it off to listen to the exhaust and turbo whine. :thumbsup:

Ditto.

The only real time the stereo gets turned on is when I see the girlfriend about to start talking..... :thumbsup: :drummer:

Big Ian
12-03-2005, 10:36 PM
when i'm aloan in the car i like my music loud :leer: "and i dont care who hears it"
as for the new JBL 6X9's???not as good as their stuff ive used in the past:embarasse...may have to hook an amp onto them and see if they just need a boost?.....then again :inquisiti ,the way in which ive mounted them may be taking something from the sound
think i'll strip the lot and replace it all with quality wire?

Dan_G
13-03-2005, 11:01 PM
I loves me moozic.....

But I also loves me turbo noise and dump valve.......

More often than not its very loud music that wins though.....

I have always upgraded sound systems in my cars........currently got a sony head unit MP3/cd job.... 10 disc changer...... changed the front speakers for universal Sony 3 ways ... not sure about these.... think I prefered the Infinitys I have in my other car...... I also got an old denon 8" sub in a tube waiting to go in the back.... I've used this thing in my other cars and I lurve it.... sounds ace. Very punchy and not boomy at all.....

I would'nt mind amplifing all the speakers just to hear the difference though.... ahh we'll see.... and no install is complete without some blue lights somewhere :P... whether they be neons or LED's.....

Bal
14-03-2005, 01:56 PM
sounds in the car are a must have come. come on boys, when your curising down the motorway dont you want something on really loud?

i used to have a SPL install in the car (ask Pezza about the size of my sub) but i sold it all off and now going down the quiet sql style install.

currently have a set of hifonics comps up front - wired to an xtant amp.
rear speakers - undecided as to what to get.
subs - 2 x 10" ppi pros powered of a nice power accoustik amp.

all generally very nice.

jalford
17-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Has anyone got an iPod hooked up?

Curious to see what sort of install others may have done.

Bal
25-03-2005, 04:42 AM
i used to have a pc in my clio. was one of the first to try it. this was years ago. i know bda has done this now and im thinking about doing it. going to measure up tomorrow to see about putting screens in.

triplexke
12-04-2005, 07:02 PM
This is what i have in the car for now. All parts were bought for previous cars, hence why the subwoofer box doesn't really fit (was custom made for fiat brava :embarasse ). In the trunk i have two pioneer 600 watt woofers and two alpine speakers, a jvc amplifier (was a bargain at a local shop, wich was selling out everything, and was supposed to be a temporary solution, but never got around to buy another (decent) one), in front in the doors i have two alpines and two pioneers, and the head unit is a panasonic mp3-player, which i'm quite happy with. Cost about 400 pounds when i bought it, now you can get it for 150 pounds :inquisiti

Paul Beazer
12-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Not very handy when you want to carry a couple of compost bags home!

Sorry, I love my sounds in the car, but im pretty happy with the stock speakers etc. Changed the head unit to a Kenwood jobbie and a 6 disk changer.

Personally, I dont think a stereo should compromise a cars ability to carry stuff, besides I dont think a muddy mountain bike on top of a sub will do it any favours! And I like to hear the engine, sometimes!

triplexke
13-04-2005, 01:03 PM
well, i knew when i bought the car, i don't have to carry around a lot in it. Muddy mountainbike or compost bags would never be transported in my car anyway :) Btw i'm 23 years old, and i bought most of the stuff 2 years ago :) now i would not spend any money (edit: on speakers ;)) anymore, was really just the age :)

Paul Beazer
14-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Furry muff, if you've got it might as well use it!

Lurch
14-04-2005, 08:56 PM
did you do the leather trim on the door triplexke?

triplexke
14-04-2005, 10:38 PM
nope standard on all belgian v6's, along with cruise control, electrical and heated seats, and all other fun goodies :d

Rally205
22-04-2005, 10:52 AM
I have never really had a decent setup in any car until now. I have just fitted it all in Jane's Galant. Sony CDXM-9900 head unit, 600watt 4 channel amp driving the 180w Sony door speakers, JBL 400watt amp driving the 12" sub and a DVD/TV and roof mount screen still to be fitted. :evil2:

I am a bit like Pete and really only listen to rock and the sub is great. I'll have to try "Thunderstruck" now Pete. :thumbsup: Only problem I had was finding somewhere to stick the amps where they wouldn't be in the way and left me some boot space!

triplexke
22-04-2005, 10:13 PM
pics!!!!!

RED
23-04-2005, 12:12 AM
There is nothing to take a picture of! It's all hidden apart from the sub and the head-unit. :embarasse

Gly
25-04-2005, 07:28 AM
ive almost finished my I.C.E. install,

panasonic cd/mp3,

standard fronts,

6.5" 3 ways in the rear doors, running off a kenwood 350watt amp (Max)

2 x 12" pioneers, running off a caliber class-d mono block (1250watt RMS at 1 ohm)

Battery in the boot.

1 farad Capacitor

6.5" in-dash wide screen (motorized)

220v AC - 300watt inverter (under drivers seat)

Xbox currently under the passenger seat (mod chiped and 120gb hdd)

triplexke
25-04-2005, 09:03 PM
pics!!!!!! lol

Gly
26-04-2005, 06:40 AM
ok since you asked nice and all,

Boot - Subs, cap & battery

http://thegspot.orcon.net.nz/Legnum/I.C.E/1%20(Small).JPG

Under Boot - Amps

http://thegspot.orcon.net.nz/Legnum/I.C.E/2%20(Small).JPG

Under Passenger seat - Xbox Limited Crystal Ed.
http://thegspot.orcon.net.nz/Legnum/I.C.E/3%20(Small).JPG

Dash - Panasonic MP3 & TV closed

http://thegspot.orcon.net.nz/Legnum/I.C.E/4%20(Small).JPG

Dash - Panasonic MP3 & TV open

http://thegspot.orcon.net.nz/Legnum/I.C.E/5%20(Small).JPG

Thats what ive done so far /yes

scc
06-05-2005, 12:39 AM
I've been thinking about installing a sub to my ICE system to achieve that 'BOOM' effect. The subs will take too much space in the boot, which I don't want to lose.

There appears to be an extra unused cut-out for a speaker in the rear shelf. Is that/can that be used for a sub?

Cheers
Scc

Dream Weaver
07-05-2005, 06:40 AM
Even Shaz now says the best song for the car is AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" blasting through the sub........does make all the mirrors vibrate and your body shake mind

Trying to get hold of a copy of this for my daughter but none of the usual music download sites have it. Anyone have a source for a (preferably legal) MP3 of this ?

Cheers

psbarham
07-05-2005, 09:52 AM
will an e-mail attachment do sir

Dream Weaver
07-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Lovely jubbly to that.

nige999@gmail.com

adam_shaw
07-05-2005, 07:57 PM
I've been thinking about installing a sub to my ICE system to achieve that 'BOOM' effect. The subs will take too much space in the boot, which I don't want to lose.

There appears to be an extra unused cut-out for a speaker in the rear shelf. Is that/can that be used for a sub?

Cheers
Scc

That's what it's there for. Some Galant's got an Infinity sound package which included an amp, a center speaker? and a sub in the little space you've found.

I don't recall what size it is, but you should be able to figure it out.

Before I saw the light of Legnum, my Galant even had wiring in place for the sub....
:thumbsup:

A

Slimshady
07-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Ok if you want the best (and I mean the best) my mate has a Nakamichi system installed in his car (not a lot of change from £6K but by hek this is amazzzzzing) he did have some problems with misfire even with a second battery so he had a third installed more info check this out:

http://www.nakamichi.com/home.html

Slim

scc
08-05-2005, 11:38 PM
That's what it's there for. Some Galant's got an Infinity sound package which included an amp, a center speaker? and a sub in the little space you've found.

I don't recall what size it is, but you should be able to figure it out.

Before I saw the light of Legnum, my Galant even had wiring in place for the sub....
:thumbsup:

A

Cheers! :)

That looks like shopping for a free air sub then.

I hope a free air sub will sound as good as a proper enclosure. Anyone on this board know? (sorry to steal the thread a bit).

Scc.

Big Ian
08-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Cheers! :)

That looks like shopping for a free air sub then.

I hope a free air sub will sound as good as a proper enclosure. Anyone on this board know? (sorry to steal the thread a bit).

Scc.

best bet would be to get in touch with an Infinity dealer and ask if they can find out what was supplied for the "Galant install"?.....unless any member has this package inplace :inquisiti maybe they could post up the part number's of the sub and a description of the whole ICE ??

Big Ian
14-05-2005, 06:38 PM
:smug: my wife bought me a wee treat today :thumbsup: a nice JBL sub+Amp :happy:

:love: i'm lucky to have such a wonderful wife :smug: :thumbsup:

RED
15-05-2005, 12:08 AM
:smug: my wife bought me a wee treat today :thumbsup: a nice JBL sub+Amp :happy:

:love: i'm lucky to have such a wonderful wife :smug: :thumbsup:

There must be something in the air :rolleyes4 I bought Marcus an Infinity sub this week for his birthday :thumbsup: Today has seen the leggy in a trillion bits on the back lawn, lots of wiring and I must say quite suprisingly not alot of swearing. He bought himself (!?) a Pioneer avic-x1r sat nat system and a pair of tv headrests and a rear parking camera :rolleyes4 too greedy /yes I have now removed the credit card from his person for his own well being ie I won't kill him /lol :karate:

Got some pics of work in progress so I'll get him to post them when and IF he gets done :happy:

Spirit
15-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Great news Ian and Jane/Marcus :thumbsup:

Could there be a sound off on the CVR4 stand at 'Fest :rolleyes4

Big Ian
15-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Great news Ian and Jane/Marcus :thumbsup:

Could there be a sound off on the CVR4 stand at 'Fest :rolleyes4

maybe we should have got a wee "in house club compo" for best mod's, shine, car, on the day?

Bal
15-05-2005, 01:14 PM
poo .. i got my wireless reverse parking camera but cos im now thinking about a vr4 i havent installed it ... or even bought my screen.

going to the states in august so i might see what i can get there.

sound off sounds good.

fecking poo ... i reckon i just go get a loan a buy the damn vr4.

pitslayer
15-09-2006, 12:32 AM
lol talk about bringing a thread back from the dead. but have quick ice question, im not gunna lie, i love bass, dont care what the passnegers say. anyways i should have a set of kicker components coming with cross over thingies coming soon originially for my golf, but will be in the mitsi now, and will also be having 2 brand new audiobahn high excursion 12" subs to go in the back. now the only problem i can see with this, and it is my only problem, i know its a prob with FTO`s but will i have my boot popping open? my mate was on about it before a few people with FTO`s put big subs in there boot, and everytime they stuck the bass on, it just popped the boot open, am i gunna have the same problem with that?

Spirit
15-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Not heard of any problems like this on the Galants.

g6acb
15-09-2006, 12:57 AM
I've had my boot pop open once on my old galant.....

... it was about 0.00003 seconds after some dizzy bint smacked into me at traffic lights

strapping young lad
15-09-2006, 01:31 AM
best thing i did

buy ipod video 60gb
a windscreen mount
monster icarplay fm transmitter
mpeg/mp4 converter

now i can watch 24 in traffic jams! ;)

bradc
15-09-2006, 02:56 AM
There are some guys in NZ with crazy sub setups and I've never heard of a boot opening up. The roof will vibrate though, and that is really annoying

pitslayer
15-09-2006, 11:08 AM
thats alright then, my last setup in my golf used to make the tail gate pop out slightly and the latch was good on that and locked firmly lol, and this one is gunna be better.

eventually im just gunna have a car pc where the cd player is and the cubby hold is on the dash flat mounted in, so can watch dvds and stuff whilst in traffic

n13l pm
15-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah man its all about the Car PC..

Check my this thread on my Car PC Project (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18569)

Dan_G
15-09-2006, 07:16 PM
I've had my boot pop open once on my old galant.....
... it was about 0.00003 seconds after some dizzy bint smacked into me at traffic lights

pmsl... /haz